PDA

View Full Version : Wireless technology hits paintball! LINK TO VIDEO!

Tyger
04-01-2003, 01:35 AM
This is just too cool stuff. I got held over in Chicago from this weekend, and I'm glad I did. I got video of some technology that's gonna change the game. I was online with a guy named Ken Odokemono, who lives in the area here. I talked with him online for a while, and he offered to show me his new "Wireless" tech for E-guns.

So I hauled my camera and a micro-cassette down to Wheeling, and took a look. What he's got going on is incredible. I can't give away all his secrets (he made me promise not to), yet, but here's what I can tell you.

It's called a "FireFly". It's a small mod that fits either in or externally onto to most e-guns. It uses wireless technology to report information about your paintgun's performance to a main computer off the field. It's like a wireless network for e-guns! His working gun is a Shocker, but he's also got it modded out for the Angel, the E-Mag, Timmys, and the E-cockers. He's working on the Impy now, but he says it'll be done by late May. the E-Spyders and similar guns he'll have by mid summer, he thinks.

But this little mod can report things like ROF, air efficiency, shots fired, and so on to a central computer. Odokemono told me that his inspiration was X-Ball, so a pit crew could have air, paint, or whatever a player needed HANDY when they stepped into the pit area. It's not legal yet to the rules, but after he gets a chance to demo it to the top brass, he thinks it will be a standard option on all X-Ball guns.

It's a bolt-on kit, no drilling or modifications to the guns are needed (it fits in the TUB of a Shocker!). And, if you have a laptop with the right hardware, you can run it in the woods at a range of 1500 feet with an FCC licence. It's a one way system, for now, but Odokemono said he's going to work on a 2-way system so you can communicate with teammates through the wireless network in real time. Lke if your front guy's ROF suddenly jumps from 5 BPS to 12, the grip would vibrate to let you know one of your teammates needs help. Possibly a 'speaker' system so the gun could tell you which player needs help, but he told me he's trying to keep costs down.

But enough out of me! I've got a VIDEO to share! You HAVE to see it, it's only 30 seconds, but it's what I could get together and post it ASAP. You can view it at http://www.webdogradio.us/news/News1.wmv It's less than 2 meg, and has all the info to Odokemono's web site which goes live tomorrow around 10 AM CST.

Oh yeah, the cost of the widget is right now around $200 for the on-gun or in-gun system (depending on the platform), and $350 for the wireless hookups for a laptop. You're on your own to power the laptop.

To be honest, it's making me look at the e-guns and thinking that I might just need to get one...

-Tyger

B00bzor
04-01-2003, 01:42 AM
wow that is the coolest thing i have ever seen, but too bad its not april in cali yet so ha! thats 2 now

Punisher
04-01-2003, 01:44 AM
;)

Mossman
04-01-2003, 01:51 AM
You Jerk.

FooTemps
04-01-2003, 02:03 AM
you're still 1 hour too early...

Puckz
04-01-2003, 03:11 AM
yiff

RRfireblade
04-01-2003, 04:01 PM
I must be the last one to get it 'cause that was STUPID.

The premise and the video.

johnny_boy
04-01-2003, 04:55 PM
HAHA YIFF IS FUNNAY

Automaggin2
04-01-2003, 05:32 PM
Actually, thats a damn good idea. Bust out some bluetooth in your paintball gun, then upload it tou your laptop. Gota go contact the patent office :) poors mans copyright will be in the mail tommorow.

Prairie
04-01-2003, 06:00 PM
...wow...

SlipknotX556
04-01-2003, 06:13 PM
lol

Doug_7
04-01-2003, 06:23 PM
NO CUSSING! Consider yourself very warned! I'll let you off this time with a warning because you're fairly new. Go read the rules you seem to have missed.

Automaggin2
04-01-2003, 06:54 PM
hehehe thats a ban sucker! Look at that, your new to AO but you already got yourself a ban!

WARPED1
04-01-2003, 07:30 PM
Ya got me!:D ;) ;) :D

Brak
04-01-2003, 07:49 PM
i despise you...

rikkter
04-01-2003, 08:09 PM
at first i thought it was neat, then i thought it was kinda bad, it takes the skill out. the vibration part i mean, for xball its good, but then i watched the video and.. i just dont like you :D

mjs1217
04-01-2003, 08:25 PM
you suxx0r

(usually a cool picture would acompany this but...alas, i dont have any...:( )

Python14
04-01-2003, 09:05 PM
It looks cool and all, but it seems like something else that can go wrong. I mean, do I really need to know that my backplayer is getting good efficiency, or do I care? I just seems like a toy to add on. I can see it being banned too. But none the less it is quite impressive. It reminds me of my Python electronic intergration system for cars that I'm designing in my head.:D

FalconGuy016
04-01-2003, 09:12 PM
You sure got me

sounds like a neat idea though

einhander619
04-01-2003, 11:47 PM
Ouch. I got...

Tyger
04-03-2003, 02:04 AM
Well, it's safely past the 1st. :)

Yes, it's am April fools gag. 1000+ people downloaded the .wmv file, which kinda scares me, actually. "Odokemono" is a japanese word for "Trickster", my usual "hint" in the honey, if you will. Man, I do it EVERY year, and EVERY year, I get a few people. I just didn't think 1000 people would buy it....

-Tyger

PsychoBaller
04-03-2003, 04:02 AM
::: in the voice of the Lumberg from Office Space ::: "umm....... yahh........ we're gonna have to go ahead and move your spot again.... so if you could just pack up your stuff and move on down to the basement"

Basically to sum up the above quote..... Dork

~da baller