PDA

View Full Version : The best of the best?

Frank (the spank)
04-01-2003, 02:29 AM
Hi everyone.

I've been searching around the net and well... I can't find the answer to my #1 question out there..... Which gun is THE best?

Now... stupid me for comming to an AutoMag forum and asking which gun is the best. But I thought I'd give it a shot (pun intended)

I played paintball, excuse me, "The Survival Game" since it was first invented... started with my NelSpot 007, went to my SplatMaster then many other guns in the middle and ended with my power feed automag when that was simply the best gun out there (Auto Cockers were just starting to nip at the hells of the automag when people started tricking them). People would "oooh" and "awww" when I would gas up my Automag when I would play bootleg games on some piece of land where we weren't supposed to be. Guys would call their buddies to come over and check out "the dudes AutoMag!", lol

I got out of the sport when it stopped being fun... I helped pioneer the game here in northern CA, I use to do public access TV shows about Paintball, I wrote for my high school paper and it was always about paintball and i insisted it be in the sport section. Nothing got me more pissed off when someone would go "It's not a sport, it's a game people play". I am glad it finally looks like a sport now. Why did it stop being fun? People were not having fun anymore.. they were taking it all too seriously and the final straw was when I was at a tournament and some wack job pulled a knife on someone else over a bad call by a ref..

But now.. I wanna jump back in. Now that paintball has gotten cheap ($40 for a case of paint now?!?! OH MY GOD! I am in heaven!) I want the best... I wish I could go out and test each gun and see what I like.. but I don't have the time to research. Every forum and review I read says the gun in review is the best etc.. where are the reviews where they compare all the top guns?!?!

If I go to a tournament... what is the #1 gun everyone is shooting? I keep hearing Angels.. I shot an Angel.. great gun. But what is the best? From the videos.. the eMag is tearing it up. But is that really the best? I would like to get honest non biased opnions.. I love AirGun Designs.. great company and everything was always high quality.. which is why I am pretty much in favor of the eMag.. but want to know what is hailed as king right now.

Thank you all and hope to see you on the field :)

cgrieves
04-01-2003, 04:20 AM
As with most things in life there is no such thing as a "best gun" for everyone.

The best gun for you is the one that fits you like a glove, is in the colours you want, makes the noises you like, and makes you happy when you pull the trigger.

For me, that gun is an automag.

Try them all and pick the one you like.....

CoolHand
04-01-2003, 04:42 AM
For me that marker was an Impulse.

Stock is OK, and when you put the right pieces in one, there is no stopping them.

I've owned Angels, Cockers (Still have one), Impulses (Just built two), Spyders, Automags, and Shockers; after all of those, I still come back to the Impulse.

That's my $0.02 worth anyhoo.

Frank (the spank)
04-01-2003, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the info guys, never even seen an Impulse. Well when I last played there was a best gun, I guess now everyones gun is so advanced they can all match the rate of fire and accuracy that it comes down to which one looks better.

Before, the only thing that came close to an Automag was an un-modified Autococker which was slow as hell and the trigger was hard as a rock. Even with all the mods I still don't like theses Auto Clunkers (they say ya either love 'em or hate 'em).

I just hate buying something cheap... then having to sell it for less than I paid for it so I can add more money to buy "the best". When I stopped playing I was "at the top" and I at least want my gun to be at the same level. i can work on how I play later on, hehehe

kenny45749
04-01-2003, 11:25 AM
Yeah like you pointed out, alot of people say angels are on top. WDP did a good job of marketing the angel and even luckier for them the timing of the release of the angel really seated it as a favorite. Like cgrieves said, its up to you what feels right and comes with the satisfaction you need. Personally, I am completely sold on the Emag. For me, i saw AGD take it a step further with all the extensive research and answers they have given the paintball community. What sets their guns apart to me, is the fact that i see thought and reason in the way the gun is made that I just dont completely see in others. There is countless data on this web site that AGD has compiled that was more than enough to put them on top for me. Thats my $.02. Good luck finding a gun

Miscue
04-01-2003, 03:28 PM
That's like asking... which super model is the best?

It's hard to say until you try them out for yourself.

FlagCarrier
04-01-2003, 04:41 PM
LMAO.
like they said, all preferance. but, i would check into the following guns:

-mags
-cockers
-timmys
-angels
-impys
-bushys
-matrixes

Frank (the spank)
04-01-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Miscue
That's like asking... which super model is the best?

It's hard to say until you try them out for yourself.

Or best guitar... best car...

Ok ok... I get it, lol. When I last played there was a best, no personal preference, just one gun on top and other companies trying to catch up. Like when the Angel came out, that was THE gun to have, now that everything is electro... I guess it comes back to what each person likes. Thats a good thing!

I think I'm gonna try for an eMag. Only thing is.. on eBay there is like 1 or 2 (I think that says something, lol) but I can find a million Angels that are $200 less.. hopefully I'll get lucky :)

P.S Ok... warp.. power... vertical... uh.. is it just personal preference on where you want your hopper to stick out or does one feed better than the other?

Thanks everyone for the replies, you all helped me out. I can't wait to play again!

FlagCarrier
04-01-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Frank (the spank)
I can find a million Angels that are $200 less.. hopefully I'll get lucky :)

are those the older led angels, or are they just new auctions? better let me in if you find an ir3 at that price ;)

askman
04-01-2003, 06:37 PM
typical going rates for used markers on ebay.

emags with lx 550-600

99 LED angel: 350-400. still an excellent marker. well able to keep up with the latest, durable.

timmy: 500 and up depending upon model/options

cockers: 250 for stock 2k2 and up. nicely equipped for about 400.

impulses: 350 and up, depending upon options/model.

Mags: 150 and up for classic, 300 and up for RT/pros.

LCD angels: 600 or so.

Frank (the spank)
04-01-2003, 07:31 PM
I meant $200 less than what eMags go for, and eMags are kinda scarce on eBay.. I'll wait it out. Can't rush pefection :)

Seriously... why I want the eMag...

This video: http://web.mitsi.com/odyssey/halob.mpg

And the others: http://www.odysseypaintball.com/halovideos.html

I was hell bent on an Angel, then I watched theses videos and I started to question it, now.. I really want an eMag. That and the sheer brillance of the lvl 10... I mean good god.. that is some piece of technology!

I was also wondering... how different is the LED angel vs. the LCD? As in function. I know the LCD has more "features", but in rate of fire, accuracy and how reliable it is, any difference?

askman
04-01-2003, 07:58 PM
I have emag, and micro emag, and with level x, they are excellent markers. I bought both on ebay used. paid 550 for emag with lx and couple barrels, and micro cost me 700 without lx, but came with 4500 adj hyperflow tank and rico hopper. I have put xvalve on micro. (and rt went to my pump mag)

main difference between LED, and LCD, is that on LCD, you can access the programming through an LCD screen. On LED< you need to remove the grip to access the dip switches and pot. From my personal experience, I don't think it was a big difference between the two. In fact, many LED owners like the simplicity and robustness of the design.