PDA

View Full Version : Check out TeamAo.org and tell us what you think..

DiRTyBuNNy
04-01-2003, 02:57 PM
JAM asked me to ask all you fools to go check out TeamAo.org (http://teamao.org) and tell us and him more specifically what you think and what you would like to see on the site. I know it's in it's infancy and I would like to thank Muzikman for the webspace and JAM for doing the amazing visuals (which we all know he is capable of)..and me..well..you shouldn't thank me for anything but being in the right place at the right time and being able to get the right people on the job..so basically don't thank me thank them...so come on..what do you all think so far?

SaS
04-01-2003, 03:01 PM
so it's AOO... even disregarding the infancy bit, it's very impressive

what's the deal with the team names from across the States? Different locations of all AOer teams?

wyn1370
04-01-2003, 03:03 PM
you forgot michigan
and for that matter hawaii and alaska

AGD
04-01-2003, 03:12 PM
Hey! Very COOL!! Don't forget the rest of the world! (right Simon?)

AGD

jayloo
04-01-2003, 03:19 PM
I'm kinda new here but...there are AO Teams? I know there are like 4 AGD sponsored teams. Is there an AO team in Illinois?

Miscue
04-01-2003, 03:25 PM
Looks good!

Quiet
04-01-2003, 03:26 PM
That looks sweet. That is something I would bookmark when it is up and running.

Muzikman
04-01-2003, 03:27 PM
I was looking at that last night and I thought it was amazing. There are two things that I think we should keep in mind. First, this is a worldwide army;) Second since the team may not have a region of origin (ie TeamAO that played MGO). Not only should we point to the region/state/city, but we might want to point to different events. This way if a throw together team for all over the world/county get together to play an event we can keep track of them. My vision of the page is make it robust enough that I can create sub directories (like SoCal) for each team and then give one person access to it to publish things such as the roster, placing in the event, teams that they played at the events, pictures, etc. It would be great if the page could almost be created as a template. But hey, looks great so far.

JAM
04-01-2003, 03:39 PM
I agree with the whole world thing... will work on that,

and basically the "TEAMNAME"s are just there as an example. As teams are added, they will have lines drawn to wherever the members are from.

I'll hook it in a minute or three....

-j

oh, and DB had a lot to do with getting this moving, he's just selling himself short. he never came across as modest before. :)

FreshmanBob
04-01-2003, 03:40 PM
I think it needs to be more like this (http://www.teamblackcell.com/) website, ya know, style, class, intelligence...

Hehe very nice guys, very nice :cool:

shartley
04-01-2003, 03:59 PM
Nice. Very clean. No further comments since there is nothing more to comment on…. ;)

Vex
04-01-2003, 04:23 PM
Don't forget about Arkansas! There are like 3 of us on here representing the "Natural State"! ;)--myself, SQUID, and NiteWolf1138.

Seriously. For real. Im not joking.

:D

DiRTyBuNNy
04-01-2003, 05:12 PM
yeah..i just wanted to give everyone a taste of JAM's work and to show what kind of direction we're heading towards..me..not modest...surely you jest...

NiteWolf1138
04-01-2003, 05:19 PM
You tell 'em phaze. Actually, what I would like to see is a seccond map with I guess little 'push pins' for where players are located. :)

SaS
04-01-2003, 05:30 PM
updated... VERY NICE:)

JAM
04-01-2003, 05:39 PM
yeah, major update...

Blackcell is nice but too much info for what we are doing here.
But, there could be a blackcell link on the map that goes to your page. Just a central location for ao people to see/follow teams.

I will be working on another update soon.
Muzikman I agree with the event section.
on the map page I can add an event section with links to teams that are playing there where they can post results/rosters, etc.

this will be cool, keep checkin back.

-j

da_shibmeister
04-01-2003, 05:40 PM
i like the visuals alot, especially the 3d hexagon thingy. very cool.

logamus
04-01-2003, 05:45 PM
very nice beginning. i look forward with much anticipation to the completed project.

Muzikman
04-01-2003, 06:01 PM
How about a way to zoom in on a region. Like NE, SE, Mid west, NW, SW, UK, Europe, etc... and when you click on that region it zooms in on a more detailed map. This way it doesn't get too cluttered.

As an idea to what type of info you might want for an event take a look at this. http://www.noodlehoops.com/pog/index.html

It's not a flashy site, but it has all the information you need.

The idea of TeamAO (or Team Automag.org) came about when I wanted to put together a team of AOers for Skyball in 2002 and at about the same time Dirtybunny was putting together a team in Socal to play the LA NPPL (I think it was). The two vast differences was that he was drawing the group of people from one region to form the team and actually hold practices, which I think they did. My idea is more like Team POG (see link above) where you draw a group of people from where ever and play a big event. The only time that a team played under the heading "TeamAO" or "Team Automags.org" that I know of was the group that played the Mardi Gras Open this past year. I was not involved with the team, but I am glad that someone actually pulled it off and from what I hear, they had a blast. I registed the teamao.org (plus a few others, teamautomag.org, teamautomageonline.org and teamautomagsonline.com) domain after it looked like a definite that the guys where going to play MGO. I wanted a place for them to put the pics, stories, etc, but it just never happened.

BTW, sorry, the last part has nothing to do with the site, but background info for those that don't get what TeamAO is or atleast what "I" think it is;)

magman007
04-01-2003, 08:02 PM
EHEM AFTICA!!!! Muz, how dare you not include aftica! you whitness us talking about it more than any one! If you wouldnt mind adding IAO to the site, im sure we would appreciate it.... Could we post like a roster, and little pictures or something of the team?

DiRTyBuNNy
04-01-2003, 08:03 PM
Well...I'm sure JAM has a lot up his sleeve..I'm just letting him do his job and I stand back in awe..

FooTemps
04-01-2003, 08:04 PM
are we even going to get enough teams to fill that many slots!?

SaS
04-01-2003, 08:12 PM
we could get at least a 3man, if not a 5man team in montana... hear that Prezents?

Remington
04-01-2003, 08:35 PM
:D Heh . . . AO Nightmare gettin' represented! I love it!

JAM - We should have our own little site up after April 28th so when it's completed, could you link our site from teamao.org and we'll link to teamao.org. I'll let you know when our site is done.

DiRTyBuNNy
04-01-2003, 09:01 PM
that's exactly what we were planning on doing Remington..it's hard for us to host everyone's pages but we'll just try and link to it and let you host your own site where ever..

AGD
04-02-2003, 11:48 PM
Guys,

I will give you free space to host this on our server if you keep it updated regularly.

AGD

JAM
04-03-2003, 09:51 AM
ooh,
nice offer from the man himself. ;)

let's go everyone,
send me (or DB or muzikman) your
team's name, players names, blurb about you, pictures of you, your logo, and a link to your homepage if you have one.

Click on "team Tom" on the map page of teamao.org to see the idea.

-jason

JAM
04-03-2003, 10:55 AM
Vers .05

added adrenaline junkies, hysteria, crimson men, aimed AFTICA at the right place...

Creative Mayhem
04-03-2003, 10:58 AM
First off... the site looks AWESOME. Kudos to you Jam and Muzikman, and DB, even if you did only put people together.;)

I have one comment/improvement, with the throw togther teams I think you could list the name and then when the user scrolls over the name the arrows then highlight where the team members are from, not just one location for the entire team, as it stands now. Through together teams are jsut that, a group of people from online, that have been "thrown together".

For Example: my team AFTICA is based here on AO, not Chile. The team members are from all over the US, Canada, and one member from the UK(thanks Manike:D ) To say we're based in Chile whn only one of us is residing there(which BTW, will not be the case soon) just doesn't make sense to me and tells the user that we are a team from Chile, not our respective countries.

Sorry about the long windedness of this post but I thought I would make my sugestion known. If this doesnt make sense, them PM me and we can talk.

Thanks again for the great work! cant wait to see more tweeks and mods.

CM

JAM
04-03-2003, 11:09 AM
I agree CM about the thrown together teams.

For now, I am going to point the teams that are from wide areas towards the place they will play - AFTICA points now at IAO.
To have all those arrows and whatnot would be a nightmare to maintain. The other option is to have random member or "AO" teams not have a location arrow at all.

Basically, if you guys send me info/pics, i can put up an AFTICA team page that your name on the map page will link to and on this team page it will link names, where you're all from, where you'll play, what you shoot, etc.

-j

Jonesie
04-03-2003, 11:15 AM
SWEET! I like it A-LOT! :D

Now, for TeamAO @ MGO, it's spelled 'J-O-N-E...' ;)

I really like it! Looks good, but I have a question. When there get ot be 100+ AO Teams around the country, getting together to play events (MGO, IAO, etc) won't there be far too many arrows? You would know better than I.

Later ~ Dave

EDIT:
Well, there's no page for it, but there was a TeamAO @ MGO 2003.

It consisted of:
jeffremiller (Captain)
Load SM5
covadsucks
hardr0ck68
marchborne
Jonesie (ME! :D)

FYI ~ Jonesie

synreal
04-03-2003, 11:26 AM
i like the site, one thing you might want to consider is instead of cutting new map images each time you add a team, draw the lines to their location with either colored DIV layers or floating transparent gifs, that way you can also change the color of the lines as the team name is rolled over. i think following a single yellow line through a sea of red paths would be much easier on the eyes if I want to find out visually where XYZ team is based.

i can proto this function out for you if you need some help.

Creative Mayhem
04-03-2003, 11:31 AM
cool thanks Jam. I agree that to have all the arrows of all the AOer's would be a nightmare, and that the location of play is a great place to start. I was thinking if have a team on the list and you were to scroll over the name it would change from the total AOer's arrows to just a set of arrows for the team member's hometowns or locations.. Bear with me, if I scroll over AFTICA it will have arrows pointing only to where oldsoldier, C_mayhem, magman007, Riot[Z-Grip], Kaiser_Bob, PzYcO, Load_SM5, and manike are from, not everyone else. I can understand that this is kind of big undertaking, and that there is a LOT of work that goes into it, but in the long run this may make for a more interesting and better looking site(if that makes any sense?) Thanks again for the work..

CM

JAM
04-03-2003, 11:38 AM
yeah, in looking at it all, I am starting to really think the arrows are too much.

I'm gonna change it to just highlight where the team or members are from when you roll over the name.

omni
04-03-2003, 11:40 AM
Ya you could Divided up the map into 20 horizontal lines, and run a Mouse over so when you run over the team name it highlites the location of the team, instead of running the lines, or do something like Syn's talking about.

Less work in the long run, easy to follow.

Creative Mayhem
04-03-2003, 11:46 AM
Damn... omni, I thought you said "..roll a moose over..." I dman near spit my cheerios all over the screen! Then i read it... jeeze.. need to have a nap.

CM

AutomagRT1483
04-03-2003, 01:12 PM
Me likes!:) Beisdes, my team is listed on there now;)

omni
04-03-2003, 01:30 PM
Only in Canada CM, only in Canada ...

Creative Mayhem
04-03-2003, 02:15 PM
LOL... too trOo eh? :D

CM

Muzikman
04-03-2003, 03:37 PM
Tom,
Don't know if you will read this thread again, but I have no problems with using my web space. But if you could give us a spot to put up event pictures that would save me some trouble of having to get additional space in the future. As for keeping it updated. If Jam would ever get sick of updating it and if he would turn over the design, I would pickup the maintenance.

PzYcO
04-03-2003, 09:50 PM
it would be better if you picked a different color for each team, and make the arrow to where they are from in that color and their link.. AFTICA RESERVES BLUE :)

DiRTyBuNNy
04-03-2003, 11:23 PM
I am just surprised and overjoyed that one of my threads actually became a classic..yeah for me!!!

Load SM5
04-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Here's a pic of Team AO from Mardi Gras to go with Jonesie's post up top.

http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=665665

Love the site guys!!!!

Jonesie
04-04-2003, 10:04 PM
SWEET! Nice job, Jeff! We certainly are a gaingly group of guys, no? :)

Later ~ Jonesie

Load SM5
04-04-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Jonesie
SWEET! Nice job, Jeff! We certainly are a gaingly group of guys, no? :)

Later ~ Jonesie

Especially Rocco:D

Jonesie
04-04-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Load SM5

Especially Rocco:D

Not to hijack the thread, but you should have seen him at the Ryans on NO. He got some okra and was like

'What the "heck" is this "crap"?' and
'Why is there Coke everywhere? Where's the Pepsi?'

Silly Yankees! :D

Dave

Creative Mayhem
04-05-2003, 09:57 AM
DAMN! That is one SCARY pic Load! I hope you don't ruin AFTICA's pic like that! ;) :D

CM

Load SM5
04-05-2003, 10:36 AM
No it'll look fine..you won't be in it.;)

Muzikman
04-05-2003, 12:16 PM
So who's who in that pic? The only people I know are Rocco and Load.

Load SM5
04-05-2003, 01:28 PM
Back row: left to right

Me, Hardrock, Jeffremiller, Covadsucks

Front Row:

Jonesie, Marchborne

ChucktheMAGician
04-05-2003, 01:57 PM
Nice looking site, but is Tom's page in German? for a reason or did I miss something?

JAM
04-05-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by ChucktheMAGician
Nice looking site, but is Tom's page in German? for a reason or did I miss something?

Latin, actually. And it's just a template to show you guys how the team pages will work...

more this coming week. big changes. more teams. etc, etc.
Still here in LA, though... monday.

-j

DiRTyBuNNy
04-05-2003, 07:00 PM
LA?

KayleAGD
04-05-2003, 07:03 PM
There ya go bunny, take Jam out for a night on the town:)

DiRTyBuNNy
04-05-2003, 07:10 PM
I live in San Diego..so a little bit farther south..and a little bit less smog..oh well...

Muzikman
04-05-2003, 07:15 PM
Err...that sucked...sorry Kayle...that was me that posted that reply.

Guess I hadn't surfed AO with my laptop since Skyball, after Kayle was using my machine;)

Creative Mayhem
04-06-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Muzikman
Err...that sucked...sorry Kayle...that was me that posted that reply.

Guess I hadn't surfed AO with my laptop since Skyball, after Kayle was using my machine;)

LOL MUZ!!!! Nice going, I can just see Kayle's face when he sees a post he has absolutely no clue about.... :D

CM

MicroB
04-06-2003, 01:13 PM
Hey Dirty bunny you've come along way. When i first met you you had only had your mag for a week. Now you have a site for fellow mag lovers. You had the second mag at Velocity besides mine :). Love the site and sent my prelimenary(spelling) info to Jam for my team to be added. Thx to all those that helped make it possible.

Thx,B

DiRTyBuNNy
04-06-2003, 05:48 PM
it's all good...by this summer I'll have three mags...an X-Valved MiniMag...a ULE'd eMAg and an X-mag..hahahahha..oh how the times change (and there were two other mags at Velocity today..I was impressed)..

JAM
04-07-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by DiRTyBuNNy
LA?

Sorry DB,
Louisiana... visiting my little bro at his army base.

-j

DiRTyBuNNy
04-07-2003, 11:16 PM
it's all good..that's what i thought..but being so close myself the two LA's can get confused..

MAGma 14
04-10-2003, 05:52 PM
Im kindoff new here but were would you get one of those AO letters with Indiana or IN on it that you all have in your sigs

JAM
04-10-2003, 06:02 PM
magma- do a search for "ao state sigs"

you should find all you need there.

-j

JAM
04-10-2003, 06:04 PM
oh, and BIG updates for teamao... tomorrow.
busy, busy, busy

-j

oldsoldier
06-11-2003, 02:00 AM
Old thread, I know, but, whats the deal? Great idea jam, keep selling it!!

JAM
06-11-2003, 09:49 AM
Thanks OS,

it's not only my idea, but I've been swamped at work, I've moved etc, and i think dirty retired from paintball for a while... ?

more to come,
j