PDA

View Full Version : should i get an RT valve?

litestab
04-01-2003, 06:24 PM
yes or no and tell me why.

FlagCarrier
04-02-2003, 06:59 PM
yes, if you have the money, it would be a very good idea to buy a retro. it will dramatically increase your ROF, and make it much easier to compete with some of the high end electros ;)

ChucktheMAGician
04-02-2003, 09:36 PM
I'd say no unless you had an adjustable nitro tank. I can't get my retro's to bounce w/ a screw in tank so it kinda feels just like a regular valve to me. Although purchasing or upgrading to a x-valve would get you a lx set if you didn't have that already!:)

Ejp414
04-02-2003, 09:42 PM
But, chuck, isn't the limit for input psi at 850 psi, where most preset tanks are anyway?

ChucktheMAGician
04-02-2003, 09:50 PM
I'm not sure what the limit is supposed to be but I've ran mine at 950 and I've seen where others have too. I think any excess would just be vented out the back. Most preset tanks run 800-850, not counting the preset lp ones that are around 450.

litestab
04-03-2003, 06:43 AM
well right now i have a 48 ci 3000psi nitro tank, so you are saying i would not notice any difference? what type of tank should i get ( on somewhat of a budget ) thanks

ChucktheMAGician
04-03-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by litestab
well right now i have a 48 ci 3000psi nitro tank, so you are saying i would not notice any difference? what type of tank should i get ( on somewhat of a budget ) thanks
I can't believe that someone else hasn't commented on this subject yet. As far as I know you aren't going to get any bounce out of a screw in tank. It may be just me but from what I've read it's not. (looking around to other Retro owners for support;) ) As far as adjustadle tanks go I use a Flatline and 2 Centerflags. I like both of them because they have on/off's, the Centerflags does bleed back pressure so that's a little plus there, but they are a little more of a pain to mount than the Flatline. I also think the Flatline looks sweeter w/ the guages being on both sides. There always seems to be someone selling a 3k Flatline around here so I think you could get a used one fairly easy w/ out breaking the bank.

Dayspring
04-03-2003, 10:04 AM
What chuck is talking about is the "sweetspot/runaway" effect. The higher your input, the more of an effect you'll get. Thing is, that's the gun malfunctioning. It's supposed to kick the trigger to firing position. THAT'S IT.

A preset tank will run perfectly fine with a ReTro/X-Valve. Yes, you can adjust the kick with the input pressure on an adjustable tank, but is it necessary? Not in the slightest.

GatoLoco
04-03-2003, 10:52 AM
also, it is said that benchmark frames do not get as reactive triggers due to their design

tobz
04-04-2003, 08:10 AM
I am selling my flatline to buy a preset tank for my cocker. It is a 68 ci 3000 psi tank. It works great, has both guages still, metal fill nipple cover, and the mounting cradle! I've always used a tank cover and the tank is in mint condition (although I'm keeping the cover :)) LMK if you're interested. I have good fedback here on AO, on eBay, as well as paypal! Thanks.
T.J.

tobz
04-04-2003, 08:12 AM
The gray drop forward isn't included unless you want to add $20. Thanks!
T.J.

MoBiLe
04-06-2003, 02:23 AM
so what would be a better buy
X-valve or the RT valve?

WickeDKlowN
04-06-2003, 10:52 AM
Prolly the X-Valve, it comes with Level 10, and its lighter i believe. But theres nothing wrong with the ReTro valve either.

irbodden
04-06-2003, 10:54 AM
Chuck, you have no clue what you are talking about.

You WILL get plenty of bounce with ANY nitro tank. 850 is the normal output for any preset tank which is the recommended pressure to run a Retro valve at. You will notice a tremendous increase in ROF and you will feel the reactiveness plenty running it @ 850.

irbodden
04-06-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by MoBiLe
so what would be a better buy
X-valve or the RT valve?

XValve is about 2-3 ounces lighter, costs $225 with your old valve..

RT Valves are for sale for around $200 used (I got one with an extra bolt or two for sale for $190 ;)), then you sell your old classic valve for $90 and you get the Retro for $110.

So the diffrence between XValve and RT valve is $115 ;) ... and a few ounces.

litestab
04-06-2003, 11:07 AM
who would buy my classic valve though? i see them on ebay for around 30 bucks

ChucktheMAGician
04-06-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by irbodden

Originally posted by ChucktheMAGician
I can't get my retro's to bounce w/ a screw in tank so it kinda feels just like a regular valve to me.

Originally posted by ChucktheMAGician
As far as I know you aren't going to get any bounce out of a screw in tank. It may be just me but from what I've read it's not. (looking around to other Retro owners for support)

I never claimed to be a Retro expert I simply stated what worked for me and the information that I had seen others give. In my defense I think I do have a clue about what works for me:rolleyes: ;) I didn't use words like ANY and ALL on purpose, words that relate to exact sciences, not paintball!
--oops:eek:,I did use any in that last quote, it was prefaced w/ As far as I know tho!

irbodden
04-06-2003, 02:48 PM
And like I said, you have no clue what you are talking about. ;)

litestab
04-06-2003, 05:28 PM
can't you guys just play nice?

MoBiLe
04-06-2003, 06:03 PM
i read somewhere on the forums that the rt doesnt compare w/ the tippmann 98 rt
it said that the tippmann actually get a better "trigger bounce" than the mag
for the ones that shot both do you agree?

ChucktheMAGician
04-06-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by MoBiLe
it said that the tippmann actually get a better "trigger bounce" than the mag for the ones that shot both do you agree?
I would say yes but it's been suggested, and quite well described :rolleyes: that I'm not to sure how my own guns shoot;)For me the trigger bounce is easier to adjust on the 98. A simple screw or knob to turn on the side to adjust the reactivity. I use a preset Crossfire, 800psi, but I can still manage to to get it to bounce!

Eric Cartman
04-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Hi guys. I'm new to the board but I wanted to put my two cents in. I just recently purchased an X valve. I have an ACI Bulldog that is preset to 850 psi output pressure. When I got my valve installed, I have to say that I didn't notice any reactivity to the trigger at all. I couldn't tell the difference between that and my old standard valve. I had my tank regulator adjusted with a shim to increase my output pressure (to around 1000 psi)and now I notice a huge difference. It doesn't "bounce" and since I understand that's a malfunction I'm glad it doesn't, but the reactiveness is definitely noticeable now. I'd say go for the x valve if you can get your output pressure up a bit.

Cheers!

litestab
04-07-2003, 06:20 PM
you did what to your regulator?

sneakyhacker420
04-08-2003, 06:41 PM
i have a screw in PMI tank and use it on my retromag, and damn! that shiz has bounce!... probably because i got an on/off pin kit with the .745 pin... which is more reactive than the .750 stock pin, .745 is good for MADD reactivity, but is a real b**** to get into runaway, so its great for tourneys when refs check your gun...

btw cartman, you did what to your tank? :confused: that cant be too safe :o :eek:

Eric Cartman
04-08-2003, 06:57 PM
I know. It sounds a little cracked. I actually contacted ACI to ask if there was any way I could increase my output pressure to approx 1000 psi. I didn't want to rape my credit card for an adjustable reg and I'd just purchased the bulldog last year and only played with it once. They told me that they had some incorrectly cut (too long) main springs that were giving their regs outputs from 900 to 1100 psi. They sent me one of these springs but it only made about 50 psi difference. I'm making the assumption that there would have to be tolerance levels that would allow for more than 150 psi difference in output pressures (is that nuts?:confused:). Basically the shim is like having a longer main spring which requires greater compression, hence greater output pressure.

jewie27
12-30-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by irbodden

You WILL get plenty of bounce with ANY nitro tank. 850 is the normal output for any preset tank which is the recommended pressure to run a Retro valve at. You will notice a tremendous increase in ROF and you will feel the reactiveness plenty running it @ 850.

I use a PMI Pure Energy preset tank with 850 psi output and it still makes the trigger on my ReTro valved 'Mag reactive. I just can't get the trigger to bounce off my finger to go into runaway mode. I wish I could get 900 psi into my gun and make it more reactive.

Evil1
12-30-2003, 03:00 AM
I have 2 xvalves one on my Emag and one on my RTP the E is pretty reactive in manual mode or hybrid especially hybrid while using an X stream ND tank set at 850psi. And like sneaky said I have the .745 pin in my RTP and it is reactive, but won't run away easily while using a pure energy 3k fixed out put tank.

Dayspring
12-30-2003, 10:01 AM
Guys...

Look at the damned date on the post. This thread is 8 months old...

Jewie- knock that off. This is like the 4th thread you've resurrected.

sneakyhacker420
12-30-2003, 10:08 AM
lmao... and flash, i'm glad you're liking rob's pin set

and jewie, if your local shop has a CERTIFIED PMI TECH - they should be able to modify the pressure shims inside your tank to have it put out 900 psi or so

PMI tanks have the threaded reg caps so that you can take it apart and add or take away shims inside it to raise or lower the pressure

so its an 'adjustable' preset :D

Evil1
12-30-2003, 05:48 PM
Hey sneak I bought that awesome pin set on ebay like back in july or somewhere around there.