PDA

View Full Version : AO females, please respond

TheJester
04-02-2003, 05:19 PM
any guys who have taken their girlfreind/wife, or any other girl pballin also feel free to answer

i've read the couple threads about bringin girls along paintballing and i think i have 1 that might be willing to come with me. my main question to you female players is do you wear chest protection, and even if you don't should i see if i can borrow 1 for her? any other tips?

cphilip
04-02-2003, 05:33 PM
I tried once to take a girlfriend paintballing but the wife said no.... :(

WARPED1
04-02-2003, 05:36 PM
I brought one of my best friends who is female, to play.
She had a blast. Iput a mag in her hands and gave her paint. I never saw her wear chest protection the few times she went. She did wear layers, a tee shirt then a camo jacket(this was in woods).

Clare
04-02-2003, 05:45 PM
my main question to you female players is do you wear chest protection, and even if you don't should i see if i can borrow 1 for her? any other tips?

no, I don't wear chest protection but a lot of females do use multiple layers of clothing. She can trying wearing a sweatshirt with a couple tshirts underneath. The fields usually have chest protectors that they can rent out, as well.

TheJester
04-02-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by CaPoEiRa
The fields usually have chest protectors that they can rent out, as well.

a tee shirt then a camo jacket(this was in woods).

well this is gonna be speedball in my freind's feild, i'm on really good terms w/ the shop owner though, he would prolly let me rent/borrow 1 seeing that he was gonna let me borrow a compressed air tank.

as far as the camo jacket, i have 1 as well, i would def offer it up, but the only thing i think they're good for is taking the sting out of the hit, but being that i'm not female i don't know how much that would reduce the pain of a chest shot.

i am gonna show her how to hold the gun, so her arms will prolly be in the way but even i don't shoot that way all the time and this will be her 1st time. as for putting a mag in her hands...still undecided on that wether or not let her use my mag of my carbine... i didn't sell my carbine for that very reason, in case some 1 wanted to play that doesn't have equipment, but i want her to have an advatage, which leads to the mag....but my mag is my baby

jpdgas
04-02-2003, 06:42 PM
My gf paintballs, she wears a good sports bra and shirt + camo jacket. i dont know why people dont like camo for speed ball, a shirt is a shirt and camo offers good upper body protection. If she is worried about pain, shoot her from a reasonable distance before the game so she knows the feel, that way she wont panic on the field. worked with my girl and shes loved paintball since. just some suggetions.

covadsucks
04-02-2003, 06:48 PM
My wife wears a sports bra, t-shirt and a Jt Jersey and is well endowed, she's not bothered one bit... She complains more about being shot in the arm or shoulders more than the chest.

Evil Bob
04-02-2003, 07:28 PM
My wife wears chest protection.

She took three shots to her left breast in a game last summer, she was wearing a sports bra, a tshirt, and a camo jacket.

She ended up that night with a big green and purple bruise. A week and a half later the bruise coloration had all about disappeared but the swollen tissue remained.

A week after that, it had become a lump that would not go away, so she went to see the doctor.

A week later she had a precancerous lump removed. Her doctor advised her that if she wishes to continue playing paintball, that she had better wear addequet chest protection, he stated that repeated impacts on the soft breast tissue can potentially lead to scar tissue which can then turn into breast cancer.

She's worn chest protection ever since.

-Evil Bob

TheJester
04-02-2003, 10:42 PM
^bump^

Mossman
04-02-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Evil Bob
My wife wears chest protection.

She took three shots to her left breast in a game last summer, she was wearing a sports bra, a tshirt, and a camo jacket.

She ended up that night with a big green and purple bruise. A week and a half later the bruise coloration had all about disappeared but the swollen tissue remained.

A week after that, it had become a lump that would not go away, so she went to see the doctor.

A week later she had a precancerous lump removed. Her doctor advised her that if she wishes to continue playing paintball, that she had better wear addequet chest protection, he stated that repeated impacts on the soft breast tissue can potentially lead to scar tissue which can then turn into breast cancer.

She's worn chest protection ever since.

-Evil Bob

Whoa, a relevant post on AO! First of the day! High five!
(and good for your wife for sticking strong to paintball even after it posed a health risk to her)

sneak1
04-03-2003, 12:07 AM
my gf plays and is on my college team, she wears no chest protection though.

USAF-Flyboy with a Mag
04-03-2003, 12:13 AM
My buddies take their girlfriends with us on a regular bases. What they did was basically have them wear what they plan on wearing, took them into the backyard and shoot them with a gun. That way they can judge for themselves if they should wear more layers or if they were set. They just wear an undershirt and a jersey. Hope that helps :D

raehl
04-03-2003, 03:22 AM
Padded bra. That's what my GF wears. (Well, in addition to other clothing. ;))

- Chris

Darkstorm
04-03-2003, 08:56 AM
My neighbor is a cop and she wore her "vest" but ended up getting shot in the neck.

The two biggest things to tell her, like any new play (besides NEVER take off your mask).

1) Do NOT hide, look around. Getting shot in the mask does NOT hurt and no one can sneak up and bunker you.
2) Stand sideways with the gun across your body.

If she does those two thing, she should never get shot at short range, and the hits are just as likely to be on her gun then.

WaRBladE
04-03-2003, 10:29 AM
Whats up with all this layering going on? I wear a Paintball Junkies 100% polester Jersey with nothing under it... The sides are open with a mesh net also. I have never had problems when I get shot in the chest or back. I also got shot in the hand without gloves and it didn't bother me. I also rarely bruise and if I do they heal up very fast.

Maybe I am just strange in that pain doesn't affect me much...in fact it is one of the things that makes this sport fun. If you didn't feel the impacts then it would be dull and a lot like laser tag.

I need to try playing on our local speed ball air field without a shirt on. ;)

Then again I am not a female...:rolleyes:

Jtpaintball17
04-04-2003, 08:35 AM
Hey... i was talkin to ya an aol about this man... hmmm ... the mag is ur baby (which is tottally understandable), but is the girl your baby too (yet).lol.... well there is only one thisg u can do in a situation like this.. and that is flip a coin, heads= she gets the mag, tails=she gets the carbine..lol... good luck man

i'll talk to ya on aol......PEACE!

pballck
04-22-2003, 10:04 PM
I have been playing pball with Doobie (my hubby) for around five years now and I barely remember being shot in the chest. However, I sure can recall the time I was shot in the neck at close range! Afterwards, I went out and got a neck protector and may have worn it two times. It was such a pain and totally uncomfortable, so I ditched it...never got shot in the neck again. Back to the chest, I wear a sports bra and my JT Jersey. If I get hit...I get hit. Most men don't even wear cups. Some people do have a lower tolerance for pain and you need to take that into consideration and just tell her not to let her chest hang out. Although, I'm sure no one else would mind.. ;) I do recommend letting your girl use the carbine in the beginning. Unlike men, most women aren't as technical. We like reliable and easy, especially when we're trying to learn the game. Please, don't shoot your girl before she goes out on the field...it will only make her mad at you. Remember that when the game starts and her adrenaline starts kicking in, she won't feel the pain as bad as she would if she was just standing there. If Doobie had started out that way with me, he may never have gotten me back on the field again. :D Anyhoo...hope you have fun! It's always good to see girls getting out there and giving it a shot...ohhh...that was bad. Good luck!

logamus
04-22-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by pballck
...We like reliable and easy...

men like this too. :D

TheJester
04-22-2003, 10:29 PM
We like reliable and easy
well mags are reliable and easy, so are carbines

this true for men too?;)

and by the way i never could get her to come, i've tried, and i'm still trying, but still no luck, i think i'm getting closer though

pballck
04-22-2003, 10:44 PM
Having problems getting her to come, hmmmm...ANYWAY.... :D

Try ways around it. The first time I played was Doobie's B-day. He wanted me to play for the longest time with no luck. Finally he said the best gift he would ever get for his B-day would be for me to go play with him (minds out of the gutter). So I did. I would like to add that natural aggression and competitiveness makes it much easier. I grew up playing every sport out there, especially soccer, so it was natural to get aggressive right away...the neck shot helped too. And in my opinion, if your girl isn't willing to at least try...maybe you should find a new girl! hahaha! I'm really kidding here!! :D It's late...

T

Python14
04-22-2003, 10:49 PM
I've taken two girls with me before(not at the same time though:( :p ;) ) and neither wore chest protectors. Megan got bammed in her boobie once I think and she said it didn't even hurt because she had on two t-shirts, an undershirt/tank top thing, and a padded bra. I'd recommend she wear a chest protector anyway, but it's her choice.

TheJester
04-22-2003, 10:58 PM
pballck...keep posting, you'll at least give me a good laugh. welcome to AO by the way. and she's not my gf yet, i'm workin on that whole situation too, i should prolly just work on 1 at a time.

pballck
04-22-2003, 11:17 PM
Thanks Jester!
By the way...love the chrome! That's hot! Mine is (don't laugh!) a blue Spyder AMG LCD. I saw it in a magazine and fell in love with it. The first time I shot it I was hooked! It fits me perfect :D

MantisMag
04-23-2003, 12:07 AM
welcome to AO. way to bring a thread back from the dead. ;)

TooDamnSweet
04-23-2003, 12:40 AM
I've played several times but never wore a chest protector or extra layers of clothing. I've been hit on my arms legs and abdomen but it wasn't really that painfull. My 9 year old daughter has played with just a teeshirt and she was fine. Normally, that area of your body is protected anyway since you're holding the marker close to your chest most of the time.

If I were you, I'd rent her one just in case though, I would hate for her to get hit there and never want to play again.

Tom Sparkman
04-23-2003, 02:26 PM
My wife used to play and didn't use a chest protector until the time she got shot right in the side of the breast. She had just called herself out and was walking with her gun up. It hurt so bad she had trouble walking off the field.

Right after that she called Unique and ordered a neoprene chest protector from Rose...

Tom

xadamx
04-23-2003, 02:29 PM
my girlfriend has played for a while but this saterday she is playing with me for the first time. she has challenged me to a one on one... im worried about my chances:D wish me luck everybody hehe, im sure ill need it.

logamus
04-23-2003, 04:01 PM
xadmax, its my experience that a woman you want to bring with you on your hobby will out do you no matter what. take a woman fishing she slays them all day. take her hunting, she limits out in half an hour. play against her and she will score the most impossible hit on you that you can imagine. my advice is to just play on her team to avoid the almost certain imbarrassment. :D

Paintchucker
04-23-2003, 05:23 PM
My EX used to love to play. Especially during that time of the month. She was a real terror on the field then. Bra, T-shirt, sweatshirt and her ROTC camo pants. First day out though she dove across a rock and tore up her knee, so don't forget about kneepads and gloves, etc...

PolishSausage
04-23-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
I tried once to take a girlfriend paintballing but the wife said no.... :(

That's why they invented shovels and locking trunks...

TheJester
04-23-2003, 06:38 PM

I tried once to take a girlfriend paintballing but the wife said no....

Originally posted by PolishSausage

That's why they invented shovels and locking trunks...

that's awesome, right up there w/ the "having problems getting her to come" remark by pballck...no offense to your wife cphilip

pballck
04-23-2003, 10:48 PM
Hey guys!
okay...now I'm really itching to play. :( I'm so jealous--you all can go out on the weekend and play and I'm stuck with rehab from knee surgery...AUGHHHHH!!!!! Anyway, if I could give men one bit of advice (as if I haven't given enough)--never let a woman say you can't go play pball. You never know if there will be a day when you can't play anymore...make the most of it! ;)

TheJester
04-23-2003, 10:54 PM
want me to start a support thread for ya ;), you at least have my sympathy for not playing (you'll see why in a moment)? just make sure you don't stay out of the game too long, no matter what the doctor says:p . i know during the "off season" when i couldn't find any 1 to give me a ride to the indoor feild to play, i went almost 5 months with out playing...i swear i was going threw withdrawl, sleepless nights, DT's, the works

circus5
04-24-2003, 09:41 AM
Its great to see women out there playing. Its another thing when their sitting around in the staging are. NEVER, ever, ever bring a woman to spectate a tourney! two guys on my team brought their girlfriends to a tourney once and it was a disaster. They were both whiney all day and kept trying to drag my teamates off into the woods :rolleyes: Kept my teammates heads out of the game all day. Having members of the opposite sex around who have no involvment or interest in what your doing is no good.

shartley
04-24-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by circus5
Its great to see women out there playing. Its another thing when their sitting around in the staging are. NEVER, ever, ever bring a woman to spectate a tourney! two guys on my team brought their girlfriends to a tourney once and it was a disaster. They were both whiney all day and kept trying to drag my teamates off into the woods :rolleyes: Kept my teammates heads out of the game all day. Having members of the opposite sex around who have no involvment or interest in what your doing is no good.
Please tell me you are joking.

Getting women involved in the sport in ANY way is a good thing, be it playing, or watching. Plus if they get interested in the game by watching, they may end up PLAYING.

My wife used to play, and now loves to watch (at least when me or the kids are playing.. :D). My two oldest daughters used to watch AND play, and now only my middle daughter plays. And my youngest loves to watch.

As for your friends and their girlfriends, I would call that just being disrespectful and selfish. And that can happen with either sex. I would agree to not bring people of EITHER sex that will do nothing but distract you from your game. But to limit it to saying not to bring members of the opposite sex is a bit off base in my opinion.

The support of women is CRUCIAL to the sport of Paintball, be it by playing, or by supporting those who do (be it boyfriends, husbands, or children).

cphilip
04-24-2003, 10:39 AM
Interesting because at AO DAY SE in SC last year we had almost as many women out there watching as we had players. We had two females playing. One husband and wife team that had never had a chance to play together before. One boyfriend and girlfriend combo. All of them had a great time. One mother watched her kids play and win their first tournament ever! And their Grandmother was there too! Even she had a blast. And they remarked that they never knew paintball was so much fun and vowed to go with their kids and watch even more. And she vowed to assist them into some more local tourneys. Now how can you beat that?

xadamx
04-24-2003, 02:28 PM
Interesting because at AO DAY SE in SC last year we had almost as many women out there watching as we had players. We had two females playing. One husband and wife team that had never had a chance to play together before. One boyfriend and girlfriend combo. All of them had a great time. One mother watched her kids play and win their first tournament ever! And their Grandmother was there too! Even she had a blast. And they remarked that they never knew paintball was so much fun and vowed to go with their kids and watch even more. And she vowed to assist them into some more local tourneys. Now how can you beat that?

thats really awesome! i love hearing about girls/women in paintball. i was going to take her to play this saterday but her grandmother died so we have to go to the funeral :(

Yamz
04-24-2003, 05:40 PM
Getting females into the sport is very important. It does not matter if they enjoy watching or enjoy playing all that matters is that they enjoy paintball. As for taking a girl to the field to play for the first time I have two things to say 1. The proper safty gear is important and its up to her on how much she wants to wear and most will wear the chest protection on the first time out 2. Dont shoot your girlfriend in the high upper inside of the thigh not everything that hangs out is a target when playing paintball with your your girlfriend. The way she returns the favior later will be more painful.(I still cry in pain when i think about that day)