PDA

View Full Version : This AIR valve had a Spring, instead of a PT spacer

JEDI
04-02-2003, 08:00 PM
I opened up my friends Classic Mag in an attempt to fix a leak down the barrel, and I found a spring instead of a power tube spacer. I was surprised so I thought I'd show you guys. Heres my thread in the TECH forum, if any one cares to help me. :)
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75461

manike
04-02-2003, 08:01 PM
That's 'old skool' and how they all used to be :)

cphilip
04-02-2003, 08:03 PM
Yea! Save that Dinoaur!!! :)

thecavemankevin
04-02-2003, 08:08 PM
wow, that is old

Thats the way all of them were back in the day....now of course everyone knows there is a spacer, or carrier there.

whats the serial number?

banzaimf
04-02-2003, 08:10 PM
all of you jerks calling them old are making me feel old. I hate you all

JEDI
04-02-2003, 08:13 PM
The serial number is: CF26716. I'm a fan of antiques, but I'd like to get this old timer up to speed and working. Can I even put a spacer in it to fix the barrel leak?

krafty
04-02-2003, 08:21 PM
I think I have a dozen or so of those in my toolbox from all my old parts kits! :)

cphilip
04-02-2003, 08:29 PM
Yes, you can use a spacer.

FistS
04-02-2003, 08:41 PM
holy ****aki mushrooms Adam,
That Mag looks familiar.
Is it really that old? I didn't have a clue, but i suspected something "older" w/e the barrel leak.
Get back to me if you need anything. PM'ed you my info.

ChuckWag78
04-02-2003, 09:10 PM
Thats what I have in my Mini too. Can someone post a pic of whats in there now? Should I change it out or leave the spring. MM#07018

cledford
04-02-2003, 09:56 PM
I heard (not sure if it's true) that the springs work better. That the spacers were produced by some company other the AGD for "trigger jobs." If the story I heard was true - there were so many aftermarket spacer floating around AGD needed to produce ones that were actually the correct size.

It would be nice to know the story...

-Calvin

banzaimf
04-02-2003, 11:01 PM
Well Calvin, gather round the fire for a little story, it was way back in the dark ages of paintball, Electros were few and far between, Heck it may have only been the shocker at that point. There was a company called AGD, they had these guns they called mags. All mags had a Power tube spring, The springs worked and worked and worked. Few problems with them. Then along about 95 or so, a company called Pro Team Products decided that they could change things. They made these things called power tube spacers. The neat thing about these power tube spacers is that they would change the trigger feel of the ole mag, Make them a bit lighter, but like all good things, there was a down side.... The dreaded down the barrel leak. This was fixed by going to a longer power tube spacer. The only down side, was since the spacers were annodized different colors, you had to remember what color meant which length. Over the years, AGD ended up incorporating a few things that were aftermarket into their guns. The level 7 has gotten the and hard nose bolt and the PTP spacers added into the guns. I find it highly amusing that ANS went to making a foam tip bolt after AGD started using hard noses.

cledford
04-02-2003, 11:07 PM
The level 7 has gotten the and hard nose bolt and the PTP spacers added into the guns. I find it highly amusing that ANS went to making a foam tip bolt after AGD started using hard noses.

Classic :D

-Calvin

Thordic
04-02-2003, 11:16 PM
I had a spring in my MiniMag, pre-LX. It worked great.

AGD
04-02-2003, 11:28 PM
WELL now boys and girls gather around for the REAL story! Actually the very first proto mags had a permanent spacer as part of the power tube tip and didn't need a spring. When we went into production the tolerances varied so much the one length tip didnt work on all guns. The quick solution was to go with a spring.

The springs worked great but as the bolt spring got weaker you had to change the PT spring and it was all very confusing. Pro Team made the spacers and you could fool with them until they worked. Eventually we got our tolerances so tight we were able to go with spacers as standard prodution part.

Now sadly the era of the spacer is behind us with the LvL10. I bid it a fond fairwell....

AGD

SaS
04-03-2003, 01:58 AM
ahh... memories

my mag, now mini, never went the spacer route... lvl 10 just about a month ago... cf2266_

got to love the, at least somewhat, old school mags

Gadget
04-03-2003, 04:13 AM
I still use springs rather than spacers in my valve (CF10472) - didn't even realise that spacers existed until I started reading this forum!

Not had any problems with em in 10 years so I think I'll stick with them :)

JEDI
04-03-2003, 08:41 AM
Thanks guys. I figured this would bring up some interesting stories. LX won't be an option just yet, so can someone head over to my TECH thread and suggest some either Spring help, or spacer help. Thanks

-Greg I'll call you.

cphilip
04-03-2003, 10:02 AM
I just love sittin around the cracklin fire and listening to "Ole Uncle Tom" tell us his old stories...Marshmellows anyone? :D

JEDI
04-03-2003, 10:12 AM
I love Automags. There's so much history.

ShooterJM
04-03-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
I still use springs rather than spacers in my valve (CF10472) - didn't even realise that spacers existed until I started reading this forum!

Not had any problems with em in 10 years so I think I'll stick with them :)

Me too (when I take out my level 10 anyway). Just like the feel of it a bit better then spacers. I do have a collection of multicolored unlabled PTP spacers that were metioned though....;)