PDA

View Full Version : New Mag owner

cky shane
04-02-2003, 08:43 PM
Alright, I'm new to Mags. I recently purchased a stock RT from eBay, downloaded the manual, and am awaiting its arrival. My questions/concerns are pretty simple:

1. The gun, he said, has not been fired in more than a year. What should I look for in the internals to ensure everything is in working order?

2. The gun is in the 900s, meaning its stars have expired, right? If I do encounter a problem and need to send it into AGD, will I just have to pay $45 and get 2 more stars?

3. I've used an Automag once before, and wasn't responsible for gassing it up/cocking it. The manual seemed a little vague. The way it was explained to me was to depress the trigger half-way while turning on the nitro. Is this right/wrong?

4. Is there anything I should do as part of normal maintence that I didn't have to do with my previous gun (a Bob Long Millennium?) The manual is, again, rather vague on this; it says to run some oil through the ASA and/or to take it completely apart and oil everything.

GhillieGuy
04-02-2003, 09:59 PM
Welcome to AO!
Well first off, gas up the gun and see if there are any leaks. If so you'll need to get a rebuild kit and replace the orings that need to be replaced. Oil her up too...

Mav D MagMan
04-02-2003, 11:24 PM
Hey Welcome!

1. Practice stripping it down (as per manual instructions). Check everything (including mainspring length) and I'd suggest getting the parts kit and replacing it all (a year is a long time for seals to go dry).

3. I don't use an RT (I have a classic valved, Minimag) however I pull the trigger all the way and allow it to engage once I the tank has sealed etc. (Halfway seems to be a good way to get it to go into runaway as you gas it up!)

4. Mags are very simple to maintain, as long as your o-rings are good all it's going to take is a few drops of oil in the ASA before every game day and afterwards, after you've cleaned it.

athomas
04-03-2003, 10:55 AM
Everything should be fine. Even so, you should completely tear down the entire valve assembly and inspect all o-rings. Clean everything thoroughly and oil upon reassembly. This will ensure you are starting with a good clean valve. check the bolt spring. It should extend past the end of the bolt when put on the bolt. If not, it should be replaced.

When gassing the gun up, hold the trigger in and turn on the air (or screw in the bottle). You'll hear a click. Release the trigger and listen for leaks. Fire the gun a few times without paint to blow any excess oil out of the valve. Do this with the barrel off. Any leaking o-rings should be seated by this action as well. You may have to adjust the velocity adjustor to get the gun to fire properly.

I don't think RT valves have stars. I'm not sure of the warrantee status. You shouldn't have to worry anyway. Almost any failure can be fixed by you at home by replacing an o-ring or two.

Before each use you should put a few drops of oil in the ASA or valve intake and dry fire the gun to clear the excess oil through the valve. This will keep your gun in good working order forever.