PDA

View Full Version : Sear pin won't fit into rail?

Gadget
04-03-2003, 10:56 AM
I've got two unused rails at home - one is a standard, genuine AGD mag rail, the other a black Omega rail.

On both I can't get the sear pin to fit - if I hold it by the end I can slide it along the slot so the width doesn't seem to be a problem, but it seems slightly too long to fit into the slot when I go to install it (with or without a sear attached).

I've tried my existing pin (which fits into my current rail no problem) and a new one, both won't fit.

I need to replace my old rail as the z-lock channel is badly worn.

Is this normal? How tight should the sear pin be in the rail? Would it be ok to file the sear pin slot to make it slightly larger, or would I be mucking the tolerances up?

kenny45749
04-03-2003, 11:59 AM
Back in the day when I had a standard mag I noticed this too. I had trouble getting the sear pin in a new rail I picked up, but eventually muscled it in. Personally I dont see a problem with enlarging the sear pin slot, as long as you are really careful. If you take care to make sure that the slot is still snug on the pin, you should be fine. Good luck

Blennidae
04-03-2003, 05:07 PM
I have found there are 2 types of sear pins for standard mags. The older ones looked like just a short black rod. The newer ones look like a chrome pill. I had trouble getting my old one to fit in different rails, but the new style seems to fit in all of them.

I was able to get my old one to fit in some rails by beveling the edges of the ends.