PDA

View Full Version : Nitro Tank leaking air

Mag89
04-03-2003, 08:23 PM
I have had a PMI 45cu 4500psi carbon fiber nitro tank,it is leaking air out of the top of the tank where you screw it into the gun. Any ideas on how I could fix the problem?

redlaser666
04-03-2003, 11:46 PM
If it's leaking when its screwed in the gun then you may have a bad o-ring. If it leaks when it's not the you have a problem with the reg, try to put a littel bit of oil in the fill niple befor you fill it up next time so it gets blown in to the reg.
Hope that helps.

Mav D MagMan
04-04-2003, 11:20 AM
OMG do not listen to this post above me. Never never never put oil into your tank, reg or otherwise!

Edit: Sorry for the dramatics but I had to point that out before anyone got hurt, and I do mean hurt. When you put oil into your tank reg it is dispersed throughout the tank. When you fill you tank temps increase temp+oil=fire (in this case explosion). A guy out here in California did it not to long ago, his tank reg was leaking so he put oil into the fill nipple, and managed to blow his tank up... I think he was injured as a result but I can't remember, it is safe to assume that you could be though.

That is why tank regs say- use no oil!

Anyways,
If the gas is leaking back out of your asa when you screw the tank in, yes your o-ring is bad, replace it (you can even get em at wal mart!).

If it's leaking from the pin valve it may be gummed up a bit... I don't want to offer bad advice, however I usually use a long metal object (such as a allen key) to blast the area clear if say I drop it in the dirt (someone correct me if this is a bad thing to do!).

*BUT*
I would suggest you discharge your tank (shoot out the air) and using an object wiggle the pin valve around a bit (it may just be sticking, however I'd rather not see you release huge amounts of High Pressurized Air onto your unprotected hand so please empty it).

Hopefully I helped, and please don't offer that advice again redlasser!
Mav

Mag89
04-04-2003, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the help.

cannibal ox
04-06-2003, 03:21 PM
i have the same tank, i called jesse from pmi and he told me the origial orings were not the right size? he sent me a package (for free) w a pin and oring. i changed the oring and pin and have only played w the tank 1 time since but did not have the problem. the tank would only leak if it was under like 1500 psi. like the pressure wasnt enough to seal the tank properly. although the o ring he sent me was not visibly different at all from the one i removed. i will know more once i start playing this year as the weather is getting nicer...

nippinout
04-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Are you screwing it into a normal ASA or onto a on/off ASA?

If it's the on/off type, shut it off before screwing it in.