PDA

View Full Version : Loc-tite on macro fittings?

Big'n slo
04-06-2003, 01:51 PM
Just wondering if anyones used loc-tite on their fittings to keep them from leaking. I'm having a problem sealing the fittings on my gas thru grip. The Teflon tape keeps ripping, Any suggestions?

cky shane
04-06-2003, 02:28 PM
DON'T USE LOC-TITE.

I know the problem you're having--you're putting your Teflon tape on the wrong way. I'll try to explain how you want to put it on. Think about it and I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Okay, you screw your elbow in to the right (righty tighty, lefty loosey.) When you screw it in, you want the Teflon tape to be going with the threads, so the screwing action is pressing the loose end more tightly. That means, when you apply the Teflon tape, you want to apply it counter-clockwise. If you do it the other way (which I suspect you are), you'll shred the tape and lose the seal.

One thing, though: if you remove the elbow after it's been taped and screwed in, you'll have to reapply tape, because the counter-twisting of removal will do the same thing it's doing now.

TuffManJones
04-06-2003, 02:56 PM
i use loc-tite on my fitting and never have had a problem, red loc-tite is stronger and a pain to get off once you put it on, but i have used it, but use the blue loc-tite if ur gonna use some, and if ur threads on the fitting or grip are wore down loc-tie would probably seal better. teflon tape is better as far as not being messy and dripping into a hole and sealing it or something but dont use much tape and you gotta be sure you put it on uhhhh counter clockwise i guess..

Big'n slo
04-06-2003, 03:20 PM
I forgot to mention the gas thru grip is home made out of AL. The tapes on the correct direction, but my tap is pretty well worn and the threads aren't cut perfectly. If I can get a seal with loc-tite I'd just leave the fittings on for good.

cky shane
04-06-2003, 03:35 PM
Loctite is essentially permanent, so make sure you want don't want to change from macro to steel or back again. If you do loc-tite, I would suggest getting new elbows and making sure they are the rotatable kind (I've had both... some can only be turned by rotating the threads, others will rotate freely while the threads stay still.)

I would advise sticking with Teflon tape... perhaps more tape would do it. However, it's your gun and if you're comfortable with such a permanent solution, then more power to you.

Big'n slo
04-06-2003, 03:48 PM
Yeah, the fittings rotate. I'd like to stick with teflon but I just can't get a seal. I just want to make sure the Loc-tite will hold the pressure. Maybe I should just break down and buy a gas through for $10.... but where's the fun in that :D
Thanks for the help.

cky shane
04-06-2003, 03:58 PM
Loctite WILL hold the pressure...

I would advise breaking down... not only do gas-thru foregrips look better, you get to use more Teflon tape!

*drool* Teflon tape *drool*

maglover52
04-06-2003, 04:14 PM
use that white plumbing tape its the best.

cky shane
04-06-2003, 04:22 PM
That's Teflon tape.

Big'n slo
04-07-2003, 08:03 AM
Found some plumbers Loc-tite (white) It has teflon blended into it. We'll see if it works

athomas
04-07-2003, 09:31 AM
Use the proper lock-tite. There is a lock-tite for sealing high pressure fittings. It is not a thread lock like most lock-tite products.

The problem with teflon tape is that pieces of the tape can get brittle and break off inside the air fitting. These pieces can get caught in the internals of the gun and cause problems.

Smokee_2_7
04-07-2003, 10:36 AM
cky shane, Athomas is right. Believe it or not, it's better to NOT use teflon tape. I know, I know. . .I was addicted to teflon tape too- - i used it for over 5 years on all of my paintball guns. Many people had tried to convince me otherwise, but I just didnt listen. Finally, one day I wound up sending my retromags into AGD to get them to fix a cracked powertube and hook me up with some custom on/off pins. When I got the guns back, the repair tickets for BOTH guns noted that there was bits of teflon tape inside the valve system causing some problems.

So, from then on, I will not use teflon tape on ANY of my paintball gun stuff. Keep in mind that there are several different types of locktite- - - blue is the most common for paintball air fittings as it is considered 'removable' without too much effort. It takes pretty much the same amount of pressure to loosen a fitting held in with blue as it does one held in with teflon tape.
The RED locktite is the more permanent stuff you're talking about. When this stuff gets in some threads, it's alot harder to take them back apart. Many times heat is required. However, red does seal off slightly enlargened threads a bit better than blue.

Just the other day I had a threaded hole in an ASA that I needed to plug. For various reasons, the threads were enlargened slightly and the plug would not seal off when I used blue on it. SO, i decided to try teflon tape--lol. That wouldnt work either. Finally, I decided to go with RED (not needing to remove this plug anytime). That worked like a charm.

Carl

johnny dee
04-07-2003, 04:09 PM
no teflon, on anything, blue on parts that will be removed at one time or another, and red on parts that you wnat to stay forever, btw, shane do u still want those grips, i sent u a pm.

CoolHand
04-08-2003, 02:30 AM
You boys are trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

Why use thread lockers, when you need thread sealers?

Loctite is the solution, but not the red or the blue.

You need purple loctite.

Now I know you think I'm pulling your legs, but its true.

You can get the stuff from McMaster Carr, or just look for number 222ms. (Standard Blue is 242)

The purple is a thread sealer, it seals instantly if the threads are tight enough to apply pressure to it, and it will even seal loose or damaged (light damage) threads if you let it dry for an hour or two. And, as if that's not enough, it is super easy to take apart later.

Its good stuff, throw away that plumber's tape, and look into getting some purple.

:cool:

Big'n slo
04-08-2003, 08:01 AM
The White loc-tite worked to seal that stubborn fitting.
Can that purple be found in a hardware store?

CoolHand
04-08-2003, 12:12 PM
You'd have the best luck looking at an autoparts store.

BlackVCG
04-08-2003, 01:10 PM
Loctite 592 PST. Teflon paste thread sealant - Medium Strength.

Best stuff on the face of the planet for sealing air fitting threads!

Potatoboy
04-08-2003, 01:35 PM
592 PST can be hard to find, I use 545, which is Hydraulic/Pneumatic Sealant.

From loctites website:
Designed for both hydraulic and pneumatic systems, 545 contains no fillers or particles which could contaminate system fluids, foul valves, or clog fine filters and screens. 545 has excellent solvent resistance and a temperature range of -65°F to +300°F Available Worldwide

Applications: Used to lock and seal hydraulic and pneumatic fittings, servomechanisms, and fine-filtration systems. This Teflon-free product is specially formulated to offer lubricity for easy assembly.

sneakyhacker420
04-08-2003, 06:58 PM
simple answer:

yes, you can you loc-tite on macro fittings, just as long as it is the blue (temporary) loc-tite

it seals them fine, and i prefer it over teflon tape, its alot easier to apply than teflon tape, and works just as well... not to mention you dont have the extra teflon tape hanging out of your fittings

the main thing is: ONLY USE BLUE LOC-TITE, THE TEMPORARY TYPE

btw coolhand, purple loc-tite is for use with plastics :rolleyes:

ps: even Brian Palmer (from PPS) uses blue loc-tite on his hose fittings ;)

athomas
04-08-2003, 08:34 PM
I use the 545 Locktite, which is purple. It is for pneumatic and hydraulic fittings. Works great.

sneakyhacker420
04-08-2003, 09:13 PM
i thought that purple was for plastics :confused:

.bolink
04-09-2003, 06:23 PM
I always use red loc-tite...and i never have a problem getting it out later...just wrap the item in a towel and put it in a bench vise, and grap a crescent wrench and your golden.

CoolHand
04-09-2003, 07:28 PM
Yes, there are about 10 different purple loctites.

You need to look at the numbers, not only the color.

And another thing - Don't roll your eyes at me son.

I might be tempted to stick out my tounge. :p

And that's never good.