PDA

View Full Version : Building a Cocker?!? Need Advice

TeamImp
04-06-2003, 02:41 PM
Im building an all custom cocker and so far have just the body(ill get pix soon) BUT i havem done some modsm to it, like drill out the air chamber for lower pressure, and made the hole in the top bigger for easier acess, right now im in the polishing stage, i have a very fine polish and a dremel, should be great! My question is: What can i do to make the tube where the bolt is smoother?? Any advice on what Vertical reg? If u have one for sale lemme know.

PS How much do u think this would be worth if it was all chrome? Or what could i get for trade?

nippinout
04-06-2003, 04:54 PM
You can use a shot-gun cleaning swabby and polishing compound. Chuck it onto a drill and go to town.

If you don't know what you're doing, I say leave it to the pros. Dremel is a very scary word. :)

I'm a fan of the AKALMP Sidewinder reg. It has the fattest diameter piston. Fat piston = better for low pressure.

AKALMP are the masters of LP. Their regs are good performers down to around 50psi. If you aren't going extreme on LP, don't worry about it.

WGP inline regs are AWESOME regs. Have Blue did some reg comparisons on recharge. WGP inlines aren't popular or expensive and I don't know why. They are great regs, only problem is it's a pain to change pressure on them, you have to open them up.

The Sidewinder on the other hand is externally adjustable.

TeamImp
04-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Chuck it onto a drill and go to town

?? What do u mean?

GT
04-06-2003, 06:25 PM
<--------Not a cocker expert but,

Here is a nice little thread I started about differnet cockers. Later in the convo the guys start chatting about worthy upgrades, however I do agree nippinout WGP makes killer regs that you can get for pretty cheap used.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=179712&highlight=gtrsi

nippinout: Didnt wgp come out with an external adj reg? I am not sure where I read that could be wrong.

greenkill
04-07-2003, 11:26 AM
first off what year is your body?

if its 2k+ you don't need to drill out your body for a larger air chamber. The 2k+ bodies have a larger chamber before the valve.

If the body is a minicocker, then you can get a gas thru grip and that will act just like a low pressure chamber which will increase the amount of air before the valve.

What do you mean hole in the top for bigger access? Are you talking about the hole where you adjust your sear lug? In which case why would you want to make it bigger? If you make it bigger it will be more prone for dirt to enter the gun.

For the regulator question. Palmers Stabilizer, Ans Genx2, Vigilante.

Q: What can i do to make the tube where the bolt is smoother??
A: Keep your gun well maintained, oiled and the bolt shouldn't have any problem with how smooth it is running. If you are still having problems, your ball detent may be protruding too far and locking the bolt up. Put a washer inbetween the body and the detent and it should give more room for the bolt to move.

http://www.greenkill.com/autococker.php <-- thats my custom cocker.

CoolHand
04-08-2003, 02:35 AM
I'd go with the Mac Dev Gladiator for the inline reg.

Very consistent, light, and easy to adjust.

As for honing the bolt tube, I say skip it.

Buy a delrin bolt and forget about it.

Also, if you drill out the sear adjustment hole, just be aware that it will be harder to find the set screw with your allen wrench afterwards.

If you are going to run LP, a FreeFlow hammer and Valve set along with a good LPR, are a must.

Good luck, and take it easy with the dremel.

You can always take away more metal, but you can't put any back. :cool: