PDA

View Full Version : Half Life question

ntn4502
04-06-2003, 02:50 PM
I just bought Half Life: Blue Shift just to play digital paintball, and Im wondering if I can play because its not regular HL?

CRog075
04-06-2003, 02:59 PM
Nope, I dont think so. Also, dont you need Half-Life for HL:BS?

ntn4502
04-06-2003, 03:08 PM
nope played it right from the cd...but that sucks, that was the only reason I bought it(never realized it was blue shift till I got back)

Jonneh
04-06-2003, 03:11 PM
Half Life: Blue shift is essentially another mod (like digital paintball) for half life. You need the original half life to play both it and DPB.

You can probably get Half Life: Generations for about 20 dollars now, that comes with Half Life, and all it's official expansions (Opposing force, Blue Shift etc.) and also Counter Srike Retail. Which is basically half life without the single player maps, all mods and stuff work perfectly with it.

Also my version of generations came with 2 cd keys, which was nice.

ntn4502
04-06-2003, 03:27 PM
umm the box says Half life isn't required(probably should have saw that first, So now Im stuck with a dumb $10 game thats about to be trashed

Python14
04-06-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Jonneh
You need the original half life to play both it and DPB.

Partially incorrect. Blue Shift is stand alone. You do not need HL to play BS. DPB though, it does need HL, or CS.

BTW, the best mod, hands down, is They hunger. I love HL and all it' mods though.

lillfroboy
04-06-2003, 04:20 PM
ok i had the same prob for like a moth , i am a mod fan i beta test mods for people etc...
any way, in order to play any "mod" (not expansions F.E. blue ****ft) you must have the original half-life, because the mods se some of the dll's in the original half-life dir, basically its just a manipulated version of HL thats all, ok short and sweet go buy HL and UPDATE! YOU MUST UPDATE FOR ANYMODE TO WORK!, and mod away, and no retail versions of offical HL mods dont need HL to run,

just plce the mods in your HL dir.

F.E. C:\Sierra\Half-Life

thats it sierra automatically makes a mod folder for you when your first run a mod

The mods are under custom game in the Main HL menu, just click and hit activate

and you may get an error, "This Video Mode Isnt supported"
just reboot HL and you ready to go

my AIM sn is lillfroboy2 if you need help just hit me up

Jonneh
04-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Python14

Partially incorrect. Blue Shift is stand alone. You do not need HL to play BS. DPB though, it does need HL, or CS.

BTW, the best mod, hands down, is They hunger. I love HL and all it' mods though.
Oh. I didn't know that. You are terribly wrong about They hunger though, because it sucks. The best single player mod for half life is easily Poke646 (http://www.poke646.com/), and Natural Selection for multiplayer

Python14
04-06-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Jonneh
You are terribly wrong about They hunger though, because it sucks.

Blasphemous!:p To each his own. If it has zombies though, I love it.

Sparq
04-06-2003, 07:01 PM
They Hunger wasn't great, but it was still one of the better unofficial single player mods. I mainly didn't like certain parts of it because I loathe the undead in general.

Of course, it DID have that hilarious zombie song at the end...which I actually managed to find and download :rolleyes:

ntn4502
04-06-2003, 07:33 PM
Man...I'm all bummed out now...anybody want to make me a copy:D

-Jôker-
04-06-2003, 08:03 PM
ill burn you my copy of hl plus the latest patch and the latest CS (full version) if you send me blue shift?

ntn4502
04-06-2003, 08:29 PM
deal

-Jôker-
04-06-2003, 10:38 PM
sweet IM me sometime soon joker2268