PDA

View Full Version : Level 10 Question: DB's dumb question of this week?!!

DiRTyBuNNy
04-07-2003, 01:47 PM
I just took my new X-Valved MiniMag out to the field yesterday and i was having some issues with it that I can't quite reason out. It's setup with Middle Spring, I'm not sure how many shims or which carrier (it was nice and tight from the factory so I wanted to see how it would shoot). The problem was that to be able to get the gun to actually get enough pressure to shoot, I had to crank the gun so high that if it did shoot it was in the mid 310's for fps and the pull was so heavy it caused my hand to cramp up after a while. I had my Flatline set to about 800-850 output so it wasn't cranked high in the least. I was thinking that i should go to the smallest spring because I was having to crank the gun so high to overcome the force of the spring and that's why the gun wasn't firing. I may be totally off base and that's why I'm asking this here. Anybody else have any ideas?

Dayspring
04-07-2003, 02:23 PM
I had to reset my carrier and oring setup on my Xmag. It was TOO tight. The proper carrier/oring combo should be able to have the bolt hang from it if you slide the carrier on oring first. (Just a little dangle. Not too tight, and if it falls off immediately, too loose.)

In told, I went through 3 carriers as I started the break in process. And it all happened over the course of 1 case of Evil. :D

DiRTyBuNNy
04-07-2003, 03:05 PM
Oh..and I forgot to add that I went through a case of paint through out the day.

Dayspring
04-07-2003, 03:08 PM
My first suggestion is to hit up a bigger carrier. It sounds too tight for me.

Strider
04-07-2003, 03:15 PM
Another possibility is shorten your spring. I setup a LX last week and I cut the longspring down shorter than my middle spring (his didn't have one?). Nothing seemed right (and kept bolt sticking) and then I cut another 1/4 off, and boom, amazing triggerpull...

Mav D MagMan
04-07-2003, 10:55 PM
I agree with Dayspring and vote for too tight carrier... Shims only change venting and even the longest spring definitely should not cause you to need imput pressures that high (at least not on it's own, mine kicked in well at 270+).

Mav

DiRTyBuNNy
04-07-2003, 11:13 PM
Well..I went one size larger on the carrier to the 1.5 (from the 1) carrier. I can take the valve and turn it upside down and the bolt won't slide off. I tried the 2 but as soon as i tilted the valve at more than a 90* angle the bolt just slid off with out any friction whatsoever. I set the bolt up just like my old emag 1.5 carrier, 2 shims and middle spring. We'll see this weekend how she works...

askman
04-08-2003, 12:24 AM
well, my old emag valve like 1.5, 2shim,medium. but my xvalve liked 2 carrier and 2 shim, medium may be after it wears in, it would like 1.5. ran out of air before having chance to break it in...

DiRTyBuNNy
04-08-2003, 01:02 AM
yeah..mine came from the factory with 1 carrier, 1 shim and it had the smallest spring on it and you could put the valve upside down and smack it with your hand and the bolt wouldn't move..so I'm guessing that's just a wee bit too tight..

sneakyhacker420
04-08-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by DiRTyBuNNy
it was nice and tight from the factory so I wanted to see how it would shoot

you DO NOT want a tight fitting carrier, you want one that fits snugly, but not too tight or too loose

it is also VERY important to oil the o-rings often

check out the LX guide in my signature for some additional help :)

DiRTyBuNNy
04-12-2003, 02:52 PM
Update:
I need even more help now....aaarrrggghhh..

I switched the carrier up to the 1.5 which was a little looser than the 1 which felt like the cork on a wine bottle.

The problem is that now the gun won't shoot at all. i had the gun setup with the middle spring and from backed all the way out to all the way in the gun doesn't want to fire. (Flatline set to 800-850)

I actually had the gun backed in about middle of the way, then started to back it out and it started to rapid fire shooting air out the back of the valve (along with that spring grease..yucky) without the bolt firing; so I turned my flatline off. I then back the gun all the way out and turned the flatline on again. Nothing. I backed the gun about a quarter of the way in and then put the gun on my lap as I grabbed for a rag and the gun fired without me pulling the trigger (the safety was on). Is someone performiong voodoo rituals on my X-valve or what?

BlackVCG
04-12-2003, 05:53 PM
Does the trigger rod go forward when gas it up? If not, make sure that your field strip screw is just hand tight.

Install the short spring.

Make sure the on/off pin can move freely and it's not bent or snapped off on the end.

DiRTyBuNNy
04-12-2003, 07:30 PM
trigger rod does go forward, but like I said before, along the whole range of the velocity adjusting the trigger feels the same.

On/Off moves freely. I just checked it. I moved the gun back to Short Spring, 1 carrier, 1 shim which is how it came from the factory. I'm still a little shook up from what happened earlier. I may try again later today.

DiRTyBuNNy
04-12-2003, 08:57 PM
can someone please help me...if I can't fix this it's going to get sent out to AGD on Monday..this is not cool. I've done a retro Mag and an eMag with LX and I can't get this gun to shoot period.

BlackVCG
04-13-2003, 12:14 PM
Try the 2.0 carrier. If it leaks, go to the 1.5 carrier. You should be able to hold the bolt at the top of the powertube, drop it and it should go all the way down and hit the bumper.

Like I said, before, try adjusting the field strip screw tension. Just put it in hand tight and gas it up and see what it does and then if that doesn't change anything, fully tighten it with a field strip screw.

How much psi is left in your FL, I know the output is 800, but how much do you have in the tank?

DiRTyBuNNy
04-13-2003, 12:22 PM
Tank has 2500psi left

I tried the 2 carrier and it did the same thing until I cranked the velocity cap all the way till it didn't want to tighten anymore then it leaked.

I'm handtightening the field strip screw and nothing is happening so maybe i'll try cranking it down to see what happens.

DiRTyBuNNy
04-18-2003, 05:02 PM
Im going to be doing more testing so hopefully I can get it figured out before the weekend..I would appreciate any help I can get later to get this thing taken care of..I will even call someone if that helps...

askman
04-18-2003, 06:27 PM
go up in carrier, until it leaks from powertube. then go down one. that is the size you want to start breaking it in on. My xvale had .5 carrier, and would not move. moved to 1.5 carrier and still would not move. 2.0 carrier got it to fire. probably still too tight, but usable for now.

DiRTyBuNNy
04-18-2003, 06:37 PM
I got an email from JJ the other day and I started over. I tried the other carrier o-ring in the bag and put it on the 2 carrier with the shortest string but it would just bleed air that stopped when I pulled the trigger. The carrier seemed tight but only half way through the bolts movement (when sliding it up and down the powertube)..should I now try the 1.5 carrier with the shortest spring or am I going about this all wrong?