PDA

View Full Version : Small bore Level 10 Bolt

QUINCYMASSGUY
04-08-2003, 12:37 PM
I have been doing research into the Tech forum relating to barrels for automags that can handle small-bore paint. My impression is that the Level 10 bolt is large so that it can not fit in barrels lower than .685. The problem is many paints are actually less than that, such as Marballizer if I'm right, and other paints that players may get stuck using on a "Field Paint Only" field or that the person with the Mag prefers smaller bores. An example of this is the Custom Products .685 barrel that I'm interested in might not work or prove problematic with Mags and Freaks with lower insults could be problematic. So an idea:

Level 10 Small-bore aftermarket bolt!

If a bolt can be made with a thinner body around the spring but more weight distributed to the back and a larger and/or wider base to increase spring grip (so the lack of contact between the spring and the thinner bolt is not a factor and the bolt doesn't wiggle as it's flying forward) this bolt could be alternated into a Mag, cocker thread or not, to allow the use of the smaller bores. So just like Freak Inserts, the user selects the correct bolt that suits their needs. With the Mag setup, switching would be easy and the bolt could be affordable and switch into an already existing Level 10 kit. And with it being otherwise identical to the current Level 10 bolts (the weight should be identical to keep velocity and spring resistance near-identical for both bolts) production shouldn't be too expensive. The foamie could even be used since only slight reductions on the thickness of the bolt sides would need to be done.

Accuracy does not seem to be an issue or at least any more than it would with a current Mag since once it's in the barrel it's the air distribution and barrel/paint match determining accuracy mostly.

So Mr. Kaye and whoever else is reading this..... would this work? Criticize away folks, come up with improvements! Just remember who came up with it first! :D

hostage
04-08-2003, 01:40 PM
I just took a look at my freak and the bolt barely hits the bak of the insert. So you may use any insert with the LX
-Doron

Dayspring
04-08-2003, 02:04 PM
Problem with switching bolts is that you tune the oring carrier to the bolt stem you have. You start switching bolts, you have to retune the level 10 carrier every change. Too much trouble if you ask me..

And we just proved that you CAN use a small bore insert with the LX. Thanks Hostage.

QUINCYMASSGUY
04-08-2003, 02:15 PM
ok, that is pretty cool that the Freak works. For other barrels though and those of us who prefer one part barrels the bolt could still be a good option. Idea on the stems: The bolt, besides the width of the metal on the sides, would be the same. couldn't you have one stem that can be disconnected from one bolt and screwed into another? This would allow the stem to remain standardized and no safety risk exists if the stem disconnects, the bolt wouldn't fly out or anything. It might sit in the valve but it would now if the stem broke.

The key reason the bolt continues to be an idea is because not everyone uses the Freak (although the reason I bring it up is because it is the best barrel system out there). And the fact the inserts don't go all the way down to the base of the body seems to me like it would affect accuracy. You would want a tight seal right from the start of the barrel to the end. I may have worded what I mean there badly. If I used a low-bore Custom Products barrel the current bolt wouldn't work. If Teardrops were available in really low bores it wouldn't work. That is what this bolt would resolve.

Dayspring
04-08-2003, 02:27 PM
The new level 10 bolts are coming one piece instead of piston & bolt b/c people were having problems of the stem coming loose. Also, there is a specific tolerance measurement of how long the stem is to protrude from the back of the bolt. Too much or too little and you'll have problems. Also, there isn't enough meat inside the actual bolt to thread it. If you've seen the cutaway view, there isn't enough aluminum to cut into.

Not to shoot down ideas, but it's a step backwards...

My advice- get different barrel backs if it's such an issue.

And the Freak is NOT the best barrel system out there... I'm leaning to Sceptre and I think most others will as well. (especially now that we're moving towards cocker threads on the bodies.)

Originally posted by QUINCYMASSGUY
ok, that is pretty cool that the Freak works. For other barrels though and those of us who prefer one part barrels the bolt could still be a good option. Idea on the stems: The bolt, besides the width of the metal on the sides, would be the same. couldn't you have one stem that can be disconnected from one bolt and screwed into another? This would allow the stem to remain standardized and no safety risk exists if the stem disconnects, the bolt wouldn't fly out or anything. It might sit in the valve but it would now if the stem broke.

QUINCYMASSGUY
04-08-2003, 02:41 PM
Hey, shooting at ideas is exactly how they become better or get proven wrong. Fire away, no prob.

I've seen the cutaway, the walls can stay as thick but with the radius of the top of the bolt (where the foamie is) being reduced could help. It'll be actually stronger than the bolt with the wider area on top (where the foamie goes).

Switching back to screw-in can be done if a better way of attaching the piston can be used. I'm sure it can be done. even if it's not screw in like it was. And the benefits of not having to retune it are worth putting some R+D into it.

I don't like the looks of the Scepter, and don't they use solid bases that would restrict the bases from being smaller bore sizes like the barrels that started this convo? Think single-piece aluminium, .683 bore barrels. Could a new bolt work with these? I think it can.