PDA

View Full Version : Halo B shells custom colors?

cphilip
04-09-2003, 09:54 AM
Not sure if we discussed this with Halo's or not but I know some did this with clear Revy's

Has anyone ever tried painting the inside of one of these some custom color? I mean I used to do RC cars and such and we used to paint the inside of clear plastic bodies to customize these things. We would take a small spray can of adhesion promoter (special for plastic adhesion) and spray the insides and then spray them any color you wanted in there. And being inside it would look like a clear coated finsih on the outside and not be subject to nicks or scratches. The finish was remarkably nice! I suspect that this could be done with a clear body and be done in a custom color to match you marker. I do not see why not and I know it would look excellent. However it would not be see through unless you used some kind of special paint. But you could leave the lid clear like it is and see your paint.

You would have to use the clear shells for this. And if anyone has some and wanted to try this you can find all this stuff and a Hobby shop that specializes in RC cars. But the promoter can be found almost anywhere and so can plastic trim paint for automotive applications. Both would work I think.

wyn1370
04-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Might be something to call halo on. See if they've got any junk clear shells laying around to run tests on.

cphilip
04-09-2003, 10:06 AM
Yup...I may do that

I know that is should work as I have painted many kinds of plastics and since they do have a nice clear then the color show through would be great...

cphilip
04-09-2003, 10:13 AM
I just sent them an Email. I will let you know what they have to contribute about their plastics.

wyn1370
04-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Only issue I could see without actually testing would be if the paint where to chip off inside. Since there would be a great deal of contact between the paint and paintballs, that may cause some concern.

cphilip
04-09-2003, 10:39 AM
Yes but I seen this stuff set up real nice and if it was adhered properly its very tough to dislodge. I think it would be of little conseqence if done correctly. I suspect proper application and curing of that is the key here.

Schnitzel
04-09-2003, 10:58 AM
i have actually painted the inside of one of my warp shells black, with no problems. i did it to a smoke warp, i just felt a black marker would match a black warp better than smoke/black:). i think all i used was black rust-o-leum, and so far i havent had any real problems.

but to do the same with a halo may be different. the constant ball contact inside the halo differs quite a bit from my virtually untouched warp shell.

*edit* and i plan on adding a clear urethane coat, when i get a chance.

i forgot to mention that i painted the inside, and so the matte black appears glossy black through the warp shell, and also the reason why i said "virtually untouched warp shell".

manike
04-09-2003, 11:20 AM
It should be possible one guy on PBN did it to his evolution... http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=195455

Just need to use the right paint I expect... :)

JAM
04-09-2003, 12:34 PM
Krylon just released a new spraypaint specifically for plastics...
haven't used it, but it might be a good option.

cphilip
04-09-2003, 12:52 PM
I just used some specificaly for plastics from Duplicolor on my Truck Video install. And I have used Krylons plastic Adhesion promoter in the past. And I do not recall who made the stuff we used in RC car bodies but I think it was Krylon...

BajaBoy
04-09-2003, 02:11 PM
only thing is, when u paint the unside... all the reinforce ment things will still be clear. (from the outside in)

cphilip
04-11-2003, 01:23 PM
Ok... I got the stock answer from Edward of Odyssey...

We cannot suggest or recommend this; though I have seen it done (and/or rit dyed)

fire1811
04-11-2003, 01:38 PM
maybe if ya ask this guy
this looks nice

http://pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=216579

cphilip
04-11-2003, 02:17 PM
Oh well no need to ask as that Ritz Dye technic is all over the place here on AO. That's what that guy did.