PDA

View Full Version : reactivity questions

Eric Cartman
04-09-2003, 04:23 PM
Hi all. I thought I’d put this in it’s own thread as I’d like to get some input. I have an ACI Bulldog (68 cu “ 4500 psi) that’s preset to 800 psi output. I found that this was not sufficient to give me any reactivity from my new x valve which I had installed at Skyball by an AGD tech. It felt just the same as shooting my stock automag classic valve. I had heard that higher tank output would increase the reactivity of the trigger. Since I had only purchased the bulldog last year and played with it once, I didn’t want to melt down my credit card to go buy an adjustable reg (they’re pretty expensive here in Canada). I called ACI to see if they could suggest a way to increase the tank’s output. I was told they had some incorrectly cut (too long) main springs that were giving their regs outputs from 900 to 1100 psi. They sent me one of these springs but it only made about 50 psi difference. This still had virtually no effect on my trigger, so I had someone who has plenty of experience rebuilding regulators put a shim in under the main spring. This brought the output pressure up to 1000 psi and now the trigger feels great. The regulator has a 1.8k burst disc and a 7.5k burst disc. Now since the burst disc should go before anything else, I have to think that there’s plenty of tolerance to handle the increased output pressure. Does this sound reasonably sane or am I risking screwing something up? I’m also curious to know why there are two burst discs with such a huge difference between the ratings.
I have seen a few people on this board mention that 800 psi works just fine with a retro or x valve, but I didn’t find that to be the case. Is there anything else that can be done to increase the reactivity of the trigger?
Sorry for the long rambling post, but I’d really appreciate any input or ideas.

Thanks.

Eric Cartman

Hell yeah I want cheesy poofs!

virus
04-09-2003, 05:29 PM
from what you posted.... its sounds likeyou should be ok.... another way to increase the reactivity of your trigger would be to order a shorter on/off pin.....

athomas
04-09-2003, 05:42 PM
The two burst disks are for the tank pressure and the output pressure.

850psi should work fine to give you good reactivity.

The reactivity can be increased if you:

- shim the trigger (removes side to side slop).
- shorten the on/off pin

joeyjoe367
04-09-2003, 07:22 PM
with 1000 psi, you should be getting some major sweet-spotting going on if you're pulling the trigger slow enough.

Are you sure that it's at 1000 psi? Do you have a gauge somewhere upstream from your tank comfirming this?

other than that, Sounds like what you're doing is perfectly sane.

Eric Cartman
04-09-2003, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'll look into getting a shorter on/off pin and see how that works. I used another guage "upstream" just as joeyjoe said to determine the output pressure. As far as the sweet spotting goes, I understand that to be a malfunction (when the gun goes virtually automatic). I haven't experienced any of that, just a nice kick back on the trigger which should help my ROF.
I've got a smart parts two finger trigger and there's virtually no side to side slop as it is, so I don't think I can do much with that.

Cheers!

Eric Cartman

Respect my authoritah!

cgrieves
04-10-2003, 07:09 AM
Eric, are you using a double trigger? Even though mathematics says that the reactivity (as felt by the finger) should be stronger- but shorter- with a single trigger, I couldn't feel it with my single trigger. I upgraded to a Benchmark double trigger frame and find it excellent.

Also my advice would be to buy a couple of standard length on/off pins and file them down until you find the reactivity you like. Mine had to be filed down further than most (.730) before I got the reactivity I was after (no sweetspotting though).

Good luck and have fun.

Eric Cartman
04-10-2003, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I've got a Smart Parts double trigger that I installed some time ago which I find has a really nice feel. I'm going to see about getting some on/off pins this weekend and see what I can accomplish with that.
Again, thanks for the tips!

jterraw
04-11-2003, 02:25 PM
look at this

Eric Cartman
04-11-2003, 02:54 PM
That's awesome jterraw! I've been looking for a good Cartman paintball picture. I want to use that in my sig if I ever figure out how the hell to do that.

Thanks!

jterraw
04-11-2003, 09:17 PM
hey dude,
glad you liked the pic. I think i got it from another website, but its not copyrited due to it being a south park character. So use it, I will. did you notice its an emag and a flatline? cool HUH.

sneakyhacker420
04-12-2003, 10:10 AM
look in the dealers forum, someone is selling a kit of .745 and .735 on/off pins

i noticed the same problem as you with the stock .750 pin... ordered the .745, and its MUCH more reactive now... very good purchase IMO

...and have him take the shims out and lower it to about 900 psi when u get the .745 pin (if you do)

... it will help put less strain on the retro/x-valve o-rings

sneakyhacker420
04-12-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by jterraw
hey dude,
glad you liked the pic. I think i got it from another website, but its not copyrited due to it being a south park character. So use it, I will. did you notice its an emag and a flatline? cool HUH.

um... thats an x-mag :p

:rolleyes:

Eric Cartman
04-14-2003, 12:15 PM
Good eye! That is an Xmag. I've just ordered an intelliframe so I think I'll hold off on changing on/off pins until that arrives and I see how that's performing. Again, thanks for the input guys!

Jonesie
04-14-2003, 01:01 PM
I've run my ReTro valve as high as 1000psi without a short-term problem. I couldn't tell ya what it did long term, but it doesn't go much above 850 now a days...

Later ~ Dave

sneakyhacker420
04-14-2003, 01:21 PM
well if u want to really be specific... its the extreme e-mag that came out in europe before the they put the x-valve in it... and very few ever made it to the US :eek: