PDA

View Full Version : ULE ANGEL detent stops my bolt!

JEDI
04-09-2003, 06:19 PM
Why does my Angel detent on my new ULE stop the bolt on my Emag, and cause the level ten to kick in? The LX set up worked moments ago with the stainless no rise body. I can look into the feed tube, and see the bolt getting stuck on the detent. It looks like part of the actual detent housing sticks into the breach. Not to mention the detent doesnt allow the ball to fall all the way into the breach. This really infuriates me. I'm sorry, but if its not one thing, it's another with my Emag.

When I shoot paint, I can tell the gun is double feeding. First no shot/bolt pinch, then second shot is a double feed, and two balls fart out of the barrel. Has anyone had this issue with their new ULE body? Is there a better detent I can buy? This is rediculous.

joeyjoe367
04-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Try backing out your detent a bit. I just got my ULE and it's on that rubber thingie, so it doesn't have to be on that tight.

cphilip
04-09-2003, 06:24 PM
Did you actualy try and do anything to it to fix it or did you just come here and panic?

First lets see if its sticking or something. Can you easily depress the ball into the detante body itself? Is it sticking? Drop a bit of oil on it if it is and work it in back and forth some. See if it free's up...

Tell me what you got. Sometimes they stiff and or something is in there thats causing them to be too stiff.

joeyjoe367
04-09-2003, 06:44 PM
Hm...I actually just noticed that my detent won't let a ball sit 100% in the breach. I backed it out a bit, but I can 'still see the bottom of the bolt..

don't have any air on me to test, but I'm betting it won't really matter if I have a decent ball stack going.

Mossman
04-09-2003, 06:49 PM
I don't get it. Why can't you just keep backing it out until it does let a ball in the breech?

joeyjoe367
04-09-2003, 06:59 PM
...cuz otherwise the ball detent will fall off the gun, silly :)

I think I'll just toss a washer or another o-ring in there.

JEDI
04-09-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
Did you actualy try and do anything to it to fix it or did you just come here and panic?

First lets see if its sticking or something. Can you easily depress the ball into the detante body itself? Is it sticking? Drop a bit of oil on it if it is and work it in back and forth some. See if it free's up...

Tell me what you got. Sometimes they stiff and or something is in there thats causing them to be too stiff. Come on Phil, I know you dont know me, but I'm not your typical 13 year old AO idiot. There's not a single stock part on my Emag, I know it inside and out. So yes, I tried muliple "fixes", But there's too many variables with the LX. Like I said not only does the housing stick into the breach, but the "oiled" detent doesnt let the ball drop all the way into the breach. Actually, I'm hoping it is the detent, and not some other problem with the new body.

Thanks for the help ahead of time guys. Phil, look, a smilie :D I appreciate the help.

Havoc_online
04-09-2003, 07:52 PM
I HATE WDP detents.

what spring are you using?

rehme
04-09-2003, 07:52 PM
yeah my friends gun had that prob also so he just put a oring on the detent so it wont stick all the way out

cphilip
04-09-2003, 07:54 PM
hehe... I was just bustin your chops cause you was sorta soundin like a school girl there at first! :D

No seriously you still not told us what you have tried yet. I am currious! We need to get some experience with these things and learn from them. May be some changes we need to make and all. These are new.

manike
04-09-2003, 07:54 PM
Do you have an o-ring between the detent and the body?

You can use an o-ring (and washers if required) and tighten against it to get the depth right.

JEDI
04-09-2003, 08:19 PM
Ok, The LX setting is. .5 carrier, 2 shims, small spring (smaller than cut spring). The gun shot well at first with a Halo. I noticed double feeding a bit. The bolt didnt reset once or twice, so I thought it was the LX. I tried a larger carrier, thinking it was too tight, (as you can see I run a small carrier). That wasn't it. I swapped back to the original LX set up when I noticed the bolt getting caught on the detent. What if the detent housing wasnt sticking into the breach, I still have the problem of a stiff ball itself. Oil didnt help.

Yes, I do have the little O-ring between the detent and the body. Maybe some kind of spacer is needed. Damn though! shouldnt the detent allow the ball to drop all the way?

xXmouthXx
04-09-2003, 08:35 PM
If you have the ADG detent then it is supposed to have two o-rings. A thin one and a thick one.

cphilip
04-09-2003, 08:38 PM
Sure, it should not even be hitting the detante until its all the way in there though.... this is realy odd.... is there any way you can get pictures of this or measurments? Soon as mine comes I may be a little more aware of what you are talking about or at least we can compare measurements in case yours is wrong or something.

Darkstorm
04-09-2003, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the post. I just checked my ULE that I got today and when the ball drops in it does not "bottom-out" there is about 1/16 gap at the bottom. I can push the ball down with a distinct push. A Halo might generate enough force to push it down but a ball stack would not. Once I do this, ball will not fall out. I need to use my finger to pop it out or actual turn the gun over and shake it to get it come out.Obviously there is zero play between the dent and the ball. Hmmmmmmm.....I'll have to look at this carefully this weekend.

JEDI
04-09-2003, 10:29 PM
I'll post pics tomorrow. Accurate measurements might be hard though. But same scenario. It kinda works with my Halo, because the Halo has enough force to push the stack down. But then after a few shots the bolt will catch on the detent. Did Tom really snag these bodies before QC even knew they were in the building?

Mossman
04-09-2003, 10:30 PM
Can you open this thing up to get to the spring? Maybe some snipping is in order???

Ghost24
04-09-2003, 10:58 PM
I had problems with the Angel detents in my X-Mag. Since I have gotten the AGD detents, no breaks after 10,000 balls plus shot through my X-Mag. I think it has something to do with the Magic Dust Tom sprinkles on all his products.

tremis
04-09-2003, 11:24 PM
Two O rings is a must, a thick one and a thin one. I havent had a problem on either of the two bodies here.

Tremis

Peach
04-09-2003, 11:45 PM
If you have the lvl-x... Get out your extra carriers. Take 2 of them and take off their o-rings. Pu the big one on that came with the detent first and then the 2 smaller ones. Lightly tighten but make sure it wont back out, and that should work. -- To make sure Roll some balls through there and make sure they go through but you don't have to push them too hard

joeyjoe367
04-10-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Darkstorm
Thanks for the post. I just checked my ULE that I got today and when the ball drops in it does not "bottom-out" there is about 1/16 gap at the bottom. I can push the ball down with a distinct push. A Halo might generate enough force to push it down but a ball stack would not. Once I do this, ball will not fall out. I need to use my finger to pop it out or actual turn the gun over and shake it to get it come out.Obviously there is zero play between the dent and the ball. Hmmmmmmm.....I'll have to look at this carefully this weekend.

That's the exact problem I was trying to describe. I'll try taking off an o-ring from a carrier. I've got plenty of 'em sitting around and since it seems like there's *supposed* to be 2 o-rings it should probably fix the problem.

joeyjoe367
04-10-2003, 01:14 AM
Sweet. Tossing on a carrier o-ring (black, thin one) after the larger black o-ring did the trick. I can tighten it down far enough to the point where I don't have to worry about it falling off and a ball will settle down in the breech just dandy.

Darkstorm
04-10-2003, 04:39 AM
Thanks for the info. I am playing a TRev this weekend so hope this helps, if anyone gets any more info please post it so I can make sure I don't have problems this weekend.

JEDI
04-10-2003, 07:37 AM
I'll give the O-ring trick a try. First the Detent ring, then the carrier ring? Did this help with the "stiff" ball problem too? I hope this works.

cphilip
04-10-2003, 08:13 AM
Are you saying you got one of the Ultimate Maddness ones? If so then yes he snagged em the night they came in and hustled them out the door that night and real quick. Might have missed an O ring or something in order to get them there to the meet. It was very close call to get them at all.

JEDI
04-10-2003, 09:51 AM
I'm not sure which batch of bodies I got. Why exactly did Tom choose angel threaded detents any way. Theres like Zero companies that make them compared to cocker detents, and I'm sure if he asked, more people would have prefered cocker detents. I know this isn't a huge problem to have an anurism over, but its the little things that count. $150 body that doesnt work because of an $11 part.

AGD
04-10-2003, 11:16 AM
Yes it appears that you have to use two orings to get the spacing right on the detents. We just noticed this problem at the madness and are looking into it this week.

AGD

Skoad
04-10-2003, 11:35 AM
are these orings something i could pick up at a hardware store? like just a little rubber washer/spacers? that is if mine doesn't come with them.

joeyjoe367
04-10-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by JEDI
I'll give the O-ring trick a try. First the Detent ring, then the carrier ring? Did this help with the "stiff" ball problem too? I hope this works.

Yes, the detent ring, THEN the carrier ring, so the carrier ring is closest to the mainbody.

JEDI
04-10-2003, 08:50 PM
*copied and pasted from Tom's ULE detent thread*

I applied this modification to my ball detent this afternoon. It seems to have fixed the problem. The force in which you tighten the detent is very important. Just snug it until you see the second O-ring (LX ring) squish a little. Look in your breach and confirm that there is no "detent housing/threads" sticking in past the wall of the body. Oil the ball lightly if you wish, and push it a few million times just to break it in. My balls now drop completely into the breach.

manike
04-10-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by JEDI
My balls now drop completely into the breach.

Has your voice broken also? :eek: ;)

SlipknotX556
04-10-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by manike

Has your voice broken also? :eek: ;)

LOL GO MANIKE!

jayel579
04-10-2003, 09:23 PM
how tight are you putting in the detent? im waiting for my ULE body to get here, i thought that with those angel detents you only tighten them down finger tight, this true?

JEDI
04-10-2003, 09:59 PM
Yes that true. Finger tight. Just tighten until it feels good. Check the inside of you breach though to be sure. If theres no threads sticking into the body, and the detent doesnt feel like it will fall out, you're good

jayel579
04-10-2003, 10:11 PM
so what was the problem with yours? were you tightening it down too much? or are the threads too deep on the detent for the body and they stick out into the body

joeyjoe367
04-11-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by jayel579
so what was the problem with yours? were you tightening it down too much? or are the threads too deep on the detent for the body and they stick out into the body

It was missing a second 0-ring which caused the detent to go too far into the mainbody when tightened down. That is all.

davidnj
04-11-2003, 01:00 PM
/edit nevermind. I woke up and looked in the official thread on the issue and saw the fix.