PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a used gun off of a kid???

Spyderd68
04-10-2003, 10:52 AM
There are a bunch of guns being sold on the classifieds by kids(say 12-16). Would any of you guys buy a used gun off a kid? I think it is just asking for trouble, but there are a lot of good deals out there. Any input?

Thanks

Dave

JAM
04-10-2003, 11:25 AM
depends on the gun and depends on the kid... I'd say it's not too much different than buying from an adult. When i was a "kid", I took great care of my guns. just get lots and lots of pics, maybe do a 3rd party.

Mossman
04-10-2003, 11:42 AM
I'm only a year over that age range, and when I was 16 and trading I can say that the average condition and good trading practice on my side of the trade is consistantly as good or better than every adult I dealt with.

But it depends on the kid. If you're not confident about trading with the 16 year old punk I know a good 17 year old who'll do a cheap 3rd party for you... :D

PzYcO
04-10-2003, 12:01 PM
well im 15, and everything ive sent out has been in perfect condtion, only problem is i dont choose when i can get to the post office and ship out anything, because i dont drive

automan39
04-10-2003, 12:03 PM
i think it the care the guy gives it depends more on his character than his age. thats just my 2 cents

Spyderd68
04-10-2003, 12:31 PM
Its tough to see the care someone has given to a gun through a couple of pictures from a digital camera. The reason i brought up this question was because i bought a mag/nitro/setup off a kid and totally got shafted. The condition of the gun was not as he described. Luckily, he used his mothers email and paypal and I contacted her directly and got my money back.

On a side note...how the heck do you afford..LVL10 W/L Black Mini Mag, 14" All American 02 Freak Tip, Intelliframe, Intellied Black Warp Feed, 12v Revvy, MAKO ForeGrip, CORE Cradle w/ Gauge, NW Quick Disconnect, 88/45 Air America THE REG, 47/3k Crossfire Stubby, ANS XTreme Shark Sight as a 15 year old?

Dave

Mossman
04-10-2003, 12:37 PM
I dunno man, I'm 17 and I have an Emag, a Electro Cocker, and a GZ timmy on the way. I never said I can afford it though :D

I'm gonna sell the 2 I decide I can part with and buy my buddies '89 325i though :). Hopefully within the month. Mmmm...car :D

adam shannon
04-10-2003, 12:41 PM
the only problem there...and not saying we should treat all kids like er um lttle kids. but you gotta be sure their parrents ok the trade or sale. especially on big ticket items like full marker setups. kid gets an angel from grammy for xmas...then decides to sell it and buy something else. parrents get ticked off and start coming around your house kicking the door, cuz the kid spent the money now has no marker. it happened to a buddy of mine.

if it sounds too good to be true or too speedy a sale cuz " i need mad loot in a hizzy for shizzy" get the full story and talk to the parrents if you can. kids are decent people but the reason they arent allowed to sign binding contracts is because for the most part they arent recognized by the law as being old enough to enter into contracts. not saying kids are dumb...but to protect them from being victimized by shady deals.

mrbrutal
04-10-2003, 01:42 PM
There are laws concerning transactions with minors that you should look into if you are not confident about the deal. Minors have special loopholes.

theraidenproject
04-10-2003, 01:47 PM
I'm 15 and have made at least a dozen trades, sales, and buys from AO and Ebay in about two years. My age is completely irrelevant, except that my mom has to get and cash MOs, and take stuff to FedEx for me. In fact, I don't think anyone I've done business with has even known my age, except for those that have met me in real life. I don't think age should be a factor in deciding whether to trade with someone or not. While I admit that not all other teenagers are good traders, I would say the odds of having a bad trade with one are the same as with an adult. Like all trades, look at their feedback, their knowledge about what they're selling, etc, and if everything looks good, you should be fine.

dansim
04-10-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Mossman
I'm only a year over that age range, and when I was 16 and trading I can say that the average condition and good trading practice on my side of the trade is consistantly as good or better than every adult I dealt with.

But it depends on the kid. If you're not confident about trading with the 16 year old punk I know a good 17 year old who'll do a cheap 3rd party for you... :D

or a cheap 24 yo;)

nastymag
04-10-2003, 02:19 PM
i am 17 and i have been tradibng online since i was 14... and i got to say that age shouldnt really matter.
as long as they take care of the gear we are all in this game for the saem reason .

i know i take of my gear ...because i work 5 days a week for it.

Just_a_Kid
04-10-2003, 02:30 PM
I'm 15 and I see where this guy is coming from. I have a friend who absolutely makes bank. He treats his gear like crap and then sells it to unsuspecting people. He has completely shafted a couple of my friends (i.e. rusty valve and hammer in a great LOOKING spyder). You just have to grill someone (adult or kid) when you buy something. It's sad that there are those kinds of people giving other kids bad names, but there's those adults too. It's just life.

EDIT: And about that kid whose parents beat down the door....he is just the kind of kid I was talking about. NO responsibility.

PzYcO
04-10-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Spyderd68
On a side note...how the heck do you afford..LVL10 W/L Black Mini Mag, 14" All American 02 Freak Tip, Intelliframe, Intellied Black Warp Feed, 12v Revvy, MAKO ForeGrip, CORE Cradle w/ Gauge, NW Quick Disconnect, 88/45 Air America THE REG, 47/3k Crossfire Stubby, ANS XTreme Shark Sight as a 15 year old?

Dave

very easy, cept now its...

XValve LX W/L Black Emag body, intellied black circle fade warp, IFrame, 12v xboard revvy w/ vortex, Mako foregrip, Dead on paintball PRO Drop, n/w q/d, omega rail and soon to be an 88/45 flatline and a full freak
...also im building a second mag all i need for that is a valve ;)

ITS CALLED WORK! :)

WARPED1
04-10-2003, 03:06 PM
Just research the "kid", look for feedback etc. Always get a real address(not a po box), and phone number.
Use your judgement, it's a case by case thing, I know a few 16 year olds that are better dealers than "adults"!

irbodden
04-10-2003, 04:00 PM

Dave

Pfft, that's nothing.

When I was 15 I had an E-Mag, Vision Impulse, two 'Cockers and a 'Mag.

I was buying and selling them to make cash

;)

sniper1rfa
04-10-2003, 04:22 PM
i have five guns, and im only 16 (as of last month)...

im getting a FLY LCD the 26th. :D

i think you should get a phone number or something, or at lease talk to the parents. I know a few people who would completely shaft anybody they could. i almost set up a trade for a friend of mine until I took a look at the impulse. it was in terrible shape. He said it didnt matter, cause the other person wouldnt know until it was too late. <B>*POOF*</B> that, i have MY reputation to keeep. :rolleyes: He almost shafted ME as well.

<B>Warning: No Cussing</B> -Miscue

yeahthatsme
04-10-2003, 04:32 PM
i'm 13, and people trust me...

Mossman
04-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by yeahthatsme
i'm 13, and people trust me...

Which people? I don't believe it. I want to talk to these people myself, I just don't trust ya :D

Anyhow, I must say that you shouldn't rule out trading with kids, cuz it's tough to draw the line. I've dealt with 13 year olds that were great to deal with, and 18 year olds who yelled at me and said it's not their fault their Mom couldn't drive them to the post office ALL WEEK, and i have to stop being such an ***, cuz he's poor and his Mom is working.

Dum dee dum dum.

-=Squid=-
04-10-2003, 04:45 PM
Im 15 and have done several transactions, including small parts (hoppers, parts etc.) and guns (my timmy, spyder etc) and never have a problem. My mom does the sending and stuff but does it right on time, the day after, everyt ime. Although, you guys are lucky. I could have any gun I want because I have ways to get money, etc, but my mom wont let me spend that kind of money...hence the reason I have stock guns and ugprade them all to hell, like my impy...however, she Is letting me buy a micromag setup as a backup :D

Fatjon
04-10-2003, 07:10 PM
Im 15 and have traded with many people. Ive traded with some respectable people on AO and never had a problem with anyone.

The only problem i have is a trade im in right now. I traded tanks witha 14 year old and for some reason he just dont have a ride to the post office. So next week i am going to go up there and take care of buisness. LOL he only lives like 2 hours away.

Well i dont think it matters to a point. But some times it does matter.

wobbles82
04-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Well I got ripped off by some 12 year old kid from California...he said he was 16...he forgot that I had his address and phone number? Theres some agency helping me out right now, but dont forget when dealing with people, GET A PHONE NUMBER, talking personally is a lot more intimidating than email, specially if the kids parents just realize that their child committed mail fraud...not good. Im personally 14 and have been trading since I was 12, I work at a computer store :D for cash so usually people trust me, all my buyers are satisfied though. Hope that helps

RusskiX
04-10-2003, 07:26 PM
Feedback...feedback...feedback!

And if its a big ticket item a phone number, address and third party (that YOU trust!) are always a good investment.

Good luck!

SlipknotX556
04-10-2003, 09:11 PM
I bought my second 2k2 timmy used, had no problems. I really dont care about the age range of the kid that is selling, as long as he ships first :p I kid I kid, I buy a used gun from someone as long as they have good feedback.

CaptaiN_JacK
04-10-2003, 09:41 PM
i have acouple things i have to say about this. first, you should always do a search on the forum your buying the gun/product from for the seller. that way you can see if they posted Q's about problems with their guns, etc. second, always make sure theyre over 18, or have the permission from somebody thats over 18. if you send a 14 yr old your gun, they can keep it w/o paying, because theyre under 18 and you broke the law by selling it to them. i just took practical law in my high school and yes, it is true. (a kid in my class did that 12 cds for $1 thing, and then when the company told him he had to buy more cds, he told them that he was under 18 and he got to keep the cds w/o paying for more--he did that a couple times). third, make sure you tell them that its against the law to buy/sell pb guns as minors, that will probably deter them from commiting mail fraud or trying something smart.

-that cd thing will work, so if any of you are still under 18,(i turned 18 5 months ago, i cant do it) try it. make sure you NEVER tell them that you are 18 tho, because then you are commiting fraud, and u are breaking the law. if they ask if your 18, say "why would i be calling if i wasnt?"--that way you never said you were 18 :) tricky, arent i?

CaptaiN_JacK
04-10-2003, 09:42 PM
i have acouple things i have to say about this. first, you should always do a search on the forum your buying the gun/product from for the seller. that way you can see if they posted Q's about problems with their guns, etc. second, always make sure theyre over 18, or have the permission from somebody thats over 18. if you send a 14 yr old your gun, they can keep it w/o paying, because theyre under 18 and you broke the law by selling it to them. i took practical law when i was in high school and yes, it is true. (a kid in my class did that 12 cds for $1 thing, and then when the company told him he had to buy more cds, he told them that he was under 18 and he got to keep the cds w/o paying for more--he did that a couple times). third, make sure you tell them that its against the law to buy/sell pb guns as minors, that will probably deter them from commiting mail fraud or trying something smart.

-that cd thing will work, so if any of you are still under 18,try it. make sure you NEVER tell them that you are 18 tho, because then you are commiting fraud, and u are breaking the law. if they ask if your 18, say "why would i be calling if i wasnt?"--that way you never said you were 18 :) tricky, arent i?

Peach
04-10-2003, 10:06 PM

Dave

I don't know...
But I have a lvl-x RT valved minimag, shocktech drop, AGD 68/4.5k Flatline, ULE body Chrome, Black I-frame, Foregrip, eggo 2, freak kit, SS freakw/ black tip, aluminum freak w/red tip, and I'm going to buy a halob when they are in the shop I goto. I also have a e-mag and another minimag. Guess what? I'm 15.

There are things called connections :D :D Easy jobs own!

Also.. Trust them depending on who they are. If I ever sell my gun(s), I wuv you all! If they sound mature then deal with them. If they act like they are kings of the world... Don't. If you feel compelled to do so: talk to their parents.