PDA

View Full Version : Tools for project idea?

NiteWolf1138
04-10-2003, 04:30 PM
I have an idea for a Mag project I want to try out(keeping the details to myself for now), but I don't have any tools to work the materials.

What in your opinion would I need, bare minimum, to carve up aluminum and MAYBE steel? I don't mind if it takes me longer to do the work, but I don't want to spend a whole lot of cash just to try out an idea.

Jonesie
04-10-2003, 05:26 PM
One word, Dremel.

Later ~ Dave

WickeDKlowN
04-10-2003, 05:31 PM
A Dremel, or aby Dremel Clone/Rotory Tool.

A Bench Grinder, and Drill Press could be handy too, but are not necessary

askman
04-10-2003, 06:41 PM
what do you mean by carving up? what are you doing? I mean you can start with using file for minor work. I have a set of file that I use for airguns. it give you good control over your cut. you will need a good vice with softjaw(sheet of lead works well) to hold the item. Aluminum files relatively easily. dremel/high speed grinder is a dangerous tool, and so is bench grinder. You can use it, but needs a lot of experience and care. I use foredom flexshaft for some things.

If you want to do precision work, you will need a small bench mill or lathe with milling attachment at the minimum.

you can get a decent benchtop mill for about 1000 bucks.

NiteWolf1138
04-10-2003, 07:13 PM
What I have in mind is not minor. I have files for the fine detail, but I need stuff to do the major material removal.

askman
04-10-2003, 09:56 PM
well, if you are thinking of doing things freeform, some form of flex shaft are way to go. they give more control than standard dremel. dremel also have a flex shaft attachment.

If your idea is more in a form of engraving, there are enravers.

If you want to remove major amount of metal in precise way, vertical mill is a must. cost the most though.

NiteWolf1138
04-11-2003, 09:29 AM
Ouch, I was hoping to avoid the vertical mill option. :(

dfs
04-11-2003, 09:40 AM
sign up for a machine/tool 101 class at a local community college. it will probably cost you less than $50 and you will have access to mills, drills, lathes, grinders, cnc, measurement devices, and experts to show you how it all works. most schools have a no grade option so you can take it just for fun and you can repeat it as many times as you like. ive found that once you learn the basics, most instructors encourage working on projects (as long as it wont get them on some fbi list - so no home made bazookas or cannons). there were guys in the class i was in who just took the same set of classes over and over and over and never got a grade just so they could have access to a whole machine shop.

CNC9D
04-12-2003, 01:22 PM
I use a drill press and an adjustable vise, one that can be moved in both X and Y directions. Here is a tip, Keep every thing tight if you use this set up. The slightest slip of the vise, table or chuck can cause serious damage or injury. Cost of drill press depends on how big you want it and work space between the table and chuck. I spent $30 on the vise. Machining bits cost as low as 10 bucks and up to 75 or more. Style of material removal is limited and crude but it works. You should see my Auto Cocker. :) he he he.

askman
04-12-2003, 03:07 PM
you are better off finding a cheap old lathe, and spend the money on vice attachment for it. Drill press will work for light aluminum cutting, but there is way too much chance for error/problem/chatter, etc. Actually, I think sighning up for machining class is better option.

you can find cheaper bench mill for under 1000 bucks.