PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Fields Flooring?

Bubonic Plauge
04-11-2003, 12:35 PM
What types of flooring have you all played on at indoor fields?

Trying to do some research and it seems most places use sand or Astro Terf.

Wouldnt Astro Terf become a gelatinous slip n' slide....?

Thanks

Egg

PzYcO
04-11-2003, 12:40 PM
astro turf

dirt

carpet (like a Dojo carpet)

etc...

the123
04-11-2003, 01:16 PM
Astro turf is VERY slippery. The only other type of floor i've played on is shredded tennis shoes. Also slippery, but great to slide/dive on.

Skoad
04-11-2003, 01:17 PM
saw dust sucks

sarpadian
04-11-2003, 01:24 PM
I have played on fields with the following flooring.

Dirt - Tends to become a sloppy, slippery muddy mess with all of the paint.

Pea Gravel - Was a definate improvement over the dirt. A little hard to get traction, but not nearly as bad as the dirt floor. Was easy on the knees and great for sliding.

Wood Chips - This was also a nice flooring, but the place smelled a little funky.

Sand - It was nice to play on, soft and good to slide in. Not nice at all to clean up afterwards. Like at the beach, it gets everywhere.

fire1811
04-11-2003, 02:44 PM
i think pretty much all indoor flooring is going to be a problem after some time.
outside the rain will wash it away. indoors its just there.

i know CCP has astro turf and its slick. i wear vans
avalanche paintball shoes and they work great.

krafty
04-11-2003, 02:51 PM
The indoor I play at has sand. It's very nice, but yes, it DOES get everywhere. We took a rental gun (M98) and pulled back the bolt... a really nice grinding sound came from inside the gun. Ouch!

Mossman
04-11-2003, 03:01 PM
Boston paintball has nice low pile carpetting, it's the same stuff they use at Skyball, whatever that means :)

It's nice, not very slippery, easy to slide on, and not too tough on whatever part of your body is unfortunate to have the rest of you sliding on.

SlartyBartFast
04-11-2003, 03:07 PM
Sand is Nasty.

I've never seen it done but there's a possibility I'd like an indoor field to explore. The rubber matting used behind bars and in food preparation factories could be ideal for indoor paintball. The kind with lots of holes in it that's raised off the floor below.

Adavantages would be good traction, easy to clean (all you do is hose/pressure wash the field), keeps players and field equipment out of puddles of paint or water.

Disadvantages? Perhaps price, how resistant it would be under paintball conditions, and I doubt you could slide.

rehme
04-11-2003, 03:07 PM
i played on a indoor field that had dirt but this was just for one tourney most of the time it is used for like horse shows and all of that

elpimpo
04-11-2003, 03:09 PM
wood chips suck because if you dive in you come up screaming because you just took about 500 slivers. were making are field with carpet because we have air ball so it woulnt be to bad on the paint breaking all over the carpet and its nice to slide on. i was at one place that had dirt but there was big chunks of concrete in there it hurt bad and to top it off it was on top of concrete and when you had some concrete showing and you hit that part you busted your a$$ like no other

Stinger
04-11-2003, 03:37 PM
A delmarva paintball we use wood shavings, which is like saw dust only bigger. Its like the shavings of a plane if you can imagine that. Its good for traction and sliding. It takes an insane amount of upkeep though, getting rid of the gooey mess infront of bunkers and stuff but we've managed to keep it smelling pretty good.

adam shannon
04-11-2003, 03:40 PM
the only indoor ive played at has painted concrete...its an old factory. can anybody say rollerskating to your bunker. add fill all over the floor...and your better off crawling around.

if anybody is also in this situation, there is a solution. get an old pair of doc marten boots. they have really soft gummy rubber oil resistant soles. i never slip even on the painted concrete now.

funkmunky56
04-11-2003, 03:54 PM
Atomix Paintball in Walled Lake, MI (just outta Detroit) has the same material they used over at the new Detroit football stadium... it's like this turf with ground rubber raked into it... they keep it really clean by raking it once an hour, and after each night they drive around with a golf cart that has a lawnsweeper attached to it... it's really not ULTRA slippery, in fact it's really nice, and you can slide well, but you don't slip. I do use soccer cleats, though, the ones with the big rubber cleats on the bottom (not the screwins) just cuz I like to. It makes me feel like I'm a cool athlete :cool:

Scooter/Cootie
04-11-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Bubonic Plauge
gelatinous slip n' slide

I think I remember playing that game as a kid. :p

I've played at Country Club and BFG. CC used a mix of what I believe is similar to AstroTurf and saw dust. It was VERY messy.

BFG used to be a indoor tennis club so they have rubber floors but lay down sand to add traction. Still fairly slippery but not as messy.

Tourny wise, I've played indoors at Skyball, Madness, and the Knoxville Indoor Championships ('97 I believe :D )

Skyball and Madness both used a type of carpet. Skyballs was excellent with great traction and little mess. But it still allowed you to slide a good distance.

Knoxville had a dirt floor when I played.

Hope this helps.

fire1811
04-11-2003, 04:03 PM
i have heard that atomix has the best flooring.

skyball was great but that was for only 3 days
what would it be like after 6 months. even with cleaning its going to get worse

this is why i play outdoors :p

and the bananna slide was the bomb

cheetah256
04-11-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by funkmunky56
Atomix Paintball in Walled Lake, MI (just outta Detroit) has the same material they used over at the new Detroit football stadium... it's like this turf with ground rubber raked into it... they keep it really clean by raking it once an hour, and after each night they drive around with a golf cart that has a lawnsweeper attached to it... it's really not ULTRA slippery, in fact it's really nice, and you can slide well, but you don't slip. I do use soccer cleats, though, the ones with the big rubber cleats on the bottom (not the screwins) just cuz I like to. It makes me feel like I'm a cool athlete :cool:

i'd have to agree with you there :D atomix has the best turf i've ever played on. the only time it really sucks is when you step on a big pile of paint where someone lost half a pod or something...

FreshmanBob
04-11-2003, 05:29 PM
Blackcell's been practicin at shooters paintball at rexplex over the winter and the flooring they have is great. It's really tightly knit carpet so the paint comes off easily and you can slide for like 5 or 10 feet. That seems to be the best option.

painball
04-11-2003, 05:58 PM
my local field WW Paintball has short carpeting (like rugs) and its easy to slide on and suprisingly has good traction. Every once in a while you'll accidentaly slide really hard or past ur bunker if ur runnin really fast. And that's no fun

WARPED1
04-11-2003, 09:11 PM
Saw dust is good, then you can sweep it away, but then you need alot to replace every time you clean up.

SyntaxError
04-11-2003, 09:18 PM
Shooters Paintball at Rexplex has some nice carpeting. Makes for easy, comfortable slides.

automagruss
04-12-2003, 02:24 PM
i played on oil zorb on a regular basis and i find that the traction is ok and the sliding isn't to bad but when they put down a fresh bag or two you have to wait for the dust to settle before you play or you start to taste it in the air. i also played a bfg and saw a guy bust his hump real bad and all he was trying to do was check himself for a hit. they use saw dust atm but the keep talking about putting astro turf.

EsPo
04-12-2003, 02:39 PM
the only indoor place around here is cement.. hoooriiiiiibleeee.. paint gets everywhere (very very slippery), very hard on the knees as well. carpeting is the way to go in my opinion.

DA_DMX
04-12-2003, 03:31 PM
i played a tounry at headrush in syracuse and it was their first one. The floor was just smooth concrete covers in paint. off the break everyone feel on the *** til they put a little blanket carpet thing near the starting put but it was a crazy time sliding everywhere.

darklord
04-12-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Mossman
Boston paintball has nice low pile carpetting, it's the same stuff they use at Skyball, whatever that means :)

It's nice, not very slippery, easy to slide on, and not too tough on whatever part of your body is unfortunate to have the rest of you sliding on. True that, Moss, BPS is awesome with that carpeting.

WARPED1
04-12-2003, 04:15 PM
Astroturf works!