PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Body Rail... Possible?

WickeDKlowN
04-13-2003, 12:58 AM
I was laying on my coulh, holding my 'mag, listening to a Mudvayne, when it hit me. A Plastic Body Rail. It would be pretty light, and im pretty sure it could be done. It dosen't seem like there would be that much stress placed on the body rail, , it just lets the sear pivot, and holds that valve pin thingy in a groove.

Not sure on what type of plastic would be good for it tho. Would have to be strong, and not shatter like glass, Don't think you would have to worry about heat resistance, unless you leave it in the sun for long periods of time. And nothing that would turn yellow over time.

Anyone ever tried this? I know ppl have talked about plastic Bodys, but never heard of a plastic rail.

Well, I'm off to bed. Post your comments and suggestions.

Good Night.

FooTemps
04-13-2003, 01:00 AM
maybe a carbon rail? That should hold up pretty well.

Schnitzel
04-13-2003, 01:48 AM
You could probably do it, but I don't think Tom would endorse it. Since the thumbscrew holds the whole valve in, and it, in turn, takes the stresses from the bolt, maybe a steel insert for the screw would ensure safety?

Lee
04-13-2003, 08:29 AM
delrin.

WickeDKlowN
04-13-2003, 09:53 AM
I'm sure Carbon, or some other light material could work too.

Plastic was just the first thing that came to my mind last night, And it could be clear that way :)

Russ
04-13-2003, 10:00 AM
A block of carbon-fiber would be uber-cool.

WickeDKlowN
04-13-2003, 10:03 AM
How much of a weight difference do you think there would be between a carbon-fiber rail, and a normal rail?