04-13-2003, 08:54 PM
silverado!

:)

Python14
04-13-2003, 09:20 PM
Jeep Cherokee 2 or 4 door. Get the 4.0 litre with the 5-speed manual

Blennidae
04-13-2003, 09:22 PM
None of those is a car, they are all trucks...;)

AcemanPB
04-13-2003, 09:34 PM
My friend drives a 4Runner, it's cool.

GreasyPigeon
04-13-2003, 10:07 PM
early bronco with, 5" lift, 5 speed, cummins deasel, and 5:39 gears in the rear. raw power there. brings tears to my eyes thinking about it. or and f-150. both good trucks

Koosh
04-14-2003, 08:08 AM
What are you going to be doing with it? For lots of towing and such I'd go for the F-150, or something else with a big engine...

But if you like to do some wheelin' I'd reccomend an old toyota. Either the old trucks or the older runners, they are very well made trucks, my friends '83 toyota truck has 250,000 miles on it, and still wheels like the day it was made... ok not the DAY it was made, but not what you would expect a 250k mile truck to do!

joez
04-14-2003, 09:23 AM
early bronco with, 5" lift, 5 speed, cummins deasel, and 5:39 gears in the rear. raw power there.

ok, a few problems with this idea.
1.the cummins turbo diesel is offered in only DODGE trucks and then in medium duty commercial trucks.

2.unless you swaped the Getrag trans from the dodge, early broncos were "three on the tree", with in the 70's getting a 289 v-8 with a 4-speed on the floor.

3.5.39 gers? you must be running 46" tires there, b/c that diesel redlines at under 4 grand. you would have the tach burried at the redline, and you might be going 45 mph. the largest tire to be fitted on an early bronco with a 5 in lift is 37", and that is after hacking the body up.

4.all broncos(not bronco II's) are 4wd. unless you buy a 1988 canadian 2wd. if you only put those gears in the rear, you cannot use 4wd.

i am betting that buy "early bronco" you are meaning the 80-96, which would be 3rd and 4th gen. broncos have been made since the 60's. and there was never any diesel offered in ANY bronco. the ammount of work you are talking about would equal in cost about what it would cost to get a new super duty with diesel. just figured i would point out the ovious.

now back on topic, the 4.0 is a good motor, but that 5-speed has a bad design on input and output shaft bearings, if you buy one used (they dont make them anymore), dont get a lot of miles on it. any toyota with a 22r-series motor (2.4L Inline 4, offered from 1981 to 1995) will run for almost forever. if you look at used runners, avoid the 3.0 v-6(from 1988-1995). unless it has had the head gasket recall service performed. the 96-02 4-runners were availabe with a factory locker, and that v-6 is a great motor. plus it can be outfitted with the TRD supercharger to give you over 260 hp. and that is a factory option, new or used. there is a reason that silverados have not been recommended new or used by CR until this year. they have some "problems". an f-150 with the 300 inline 6 is a great choise, but that motor was discontinued in 1997 after about 25 years being unchanged. was known to be able to reach 200,000 miles no problem.

and my 83 toyota truck, well, it doesnt skip a beat, and is 20 years old. and that thing stock will go everywhere my buddys Z-71 will go, and has also gone farther. it just doesnt have enough power to pull him out. always got to go and get someone else to do that.

joez
04-14-2003, 09:32 AM
couple things i forgot, 4-runners from 1984-4985 had a solid front axle, making them better in off-highway situations, and cheaper to lift, not to mention more durrable. from 1984-1989, the runners had a factory removable fiberglass top, making them alomost fully convertible. the cherokees from 1984-1986 had possibly the worst motor ever made in them, and i am not kidding. stay away from the GM built 2.8L v-6. the base inline 4 was a good motor, just unerpowered.

FYI, two years ago, the 4Wheeler truck of the year, and 4x4 of the year went to the Toyota Tacoma(truck version of runner) it bested a TJ, humvee, and land rover. just something to think about.

if you have nothing big to tow, dont go full size. it is just more gas, and a bigger pain to drive and park. and if you are looking at mid/fullsize trucks, what about the T-100? that was a great truck, but it was just expensive.

FactsOfLife
04-14-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Blennidae
None of those is a car, they are all trucks...;)

They're all stationwagons...

at least the first four are.

joez
04-14-2003, 10:03 AM
um, station wagons dont usually have a frame (except cherokee), and dont usually have 4 Lo, and usually dont come off the same assembly line as trucks. we are not talking volvos here. :D

andy13186
04-14-2003, 03:57 PM
TOYOTA TACOMA=)

Mango
04-14-2003, 05:22 PM
Buy American! Ford Explorer!! It's the best selling SUV on the planet for a reason! :p

joez
04-14-2003, 05:59 PM
if he bought a tacoma he would be buying American, seeing as they are built in california. ford, is assembled in canada. and the old onew, had their 4.0L v-6 imported from japan, they were built by mazda.

you know whats funny about the whole "buy =American" deal, Toyota has the only full size pickup, the tundra, that is built exclusively in the U.S. a jap company.

i am in no way anit American, i support this country 100%, i just think that the foreign automakers have some of the only American built vehicles. and they seem to be better too.

AcemanPB
04-14-2003, 06:48 PM
Oh and my dad has an (almost) brand new Tacoma. Very nice truck... haven't driven all the ones on your list so I'm not going to tell you what to buy :)

bornl33t
04-14-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Python14
Jeep Cherokee 2 or 4 door. Get the 4.0 litre with the 5-speed manual

if ya wanna get this used it's nextto impossible. 5-speeds aren't very popular :(

CasingBill
04-14-2003, 07:37 PM
Dude go for the yukon. Holds plenty of stuff. Fullsize is way better if your in an accident. You could just drive over those small cars. The 350 is so easy to work on and maintain and has cheap parts. With its short wheelbase and high stance its pretty good off road. Its comfortable. Easy and cheap to upgrade engine and exhaust. 16-17 miles per gallon. Most power of everything in the group(exc. silverado). Man...how do I know all this stuff. Oh yeah... I owned it.

GreasyPigeon
04-14-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by joez

i am betting that buy "early bronco" you are meaning the 80-96, which would be 3rd and 4th gen. broncos have been made since the 60's. and there was never any diesel offered in ANY bronco. the ammount of work you are talking about would equal in cost about what it would cost to get a new super duty with diesel. just figured i would point out the ovious.

by "early bronco" i mean 1966-1977 the 1st gen. and i know the amount of work that will be needed to do..i plan on doing this some day when i get my bronco. the cummins diesel, and with an nv450 (comes in the 4x4 dodge)trans an cold duck duel transfer case (dana 20) it will be no problem spinning a pair or 37 or even 44, but with 44 you need a bigger axle like a dana 60 or 70. cause of the stress you will put on it. and the reason i chose the cummins is cause then amount of power is is able to put out with the gears 5:37...but that my dream an my opinion

joez
04-14-2003, 08:09 PM
well, for a trail rig, then go for it. i was just assuming daily driver and pretty much everyone i deal with didnt even know that there was such an "early bronco". you can stuff 5.37 in smaller axles, you just lose strength with the axle shafts and carier bearings. I would skip the nv450 and go with the getrag, even though it was a weaker trans, it was paired up to the all gear np205 trans. double that with a 203 and you could crawl at less than a mph without touching the pedal.

GreasyPigeon
04-14-2003, 10:41 PM
the bronco would make a great trail rig or daily drive with a 289, 302, or 351w V8 in it. will with the dual transfer case, you get a total of 16 forward and 4 reverse gears to choose from (with a 4 speed) you will be equipped for any kind of terrain you encounter. The Cold Duck will bolt up to any transmission that has a Bronco Dana 20 bolted up to it. meaning nv450 and dual dana 20 makes fun time, i have never heard of the getrad trans, oh well you learn something new every day. sorry for hijacking you thread. but what every you get post some pics.

joez
04-15-2003, 08:45 AM
the getrag's didnt hang arround too long behind the 5.9 cummins, the 5.7something first gear wound out way to fast. but for crawling......

i dont know if you follow rockcrawling, but the scorpion, i forget who drives it, runs a tuned 5.9 pushing just over 500 hp and a ton more torque, and he still has the getrag behind it.

anyway, yeah, back to the orriginal thread.

FactsOfLife
04-15-2003, 04:52 PM
um, station wagons dont usually have a frame (except cherokee), and dont usually have 4 Lo, and usually dont come off the same assembly line as trucks. we are not talking volvos here. :D

Sorry kid, a man knows a station wagon when he sees one...

joez
04-15-2003, 05:45 PM
Sorry kid, a man knows a station wagon when he sees one

sorry kid, KID, i am not even going to dignify this with a response.

just curious, what type of vehicle do you drive?

joez
04-15-2003, 06:47 PM
sorry for hi-jacking your thread, good luck with which ever vehicle you end up with.

i just asked what he drove because i want to know what a "man" drives. but el camino, thats great:D

joez
04-15-2003, 07:14 PM
are you looking at new, and what exactly are you going to be doing with it?

i have always liked the older(1st and 2nd gen) explorers, but i have not gotten to drive a new one. i just dont like the idea of IRS on a full size vehicle.

the tahoe's are nice, they are comfortable, but when new have proven to be troublesome initially. once the bugs get worked out of them, they are reliable, comfy vehicles, but do tend to eat a little gas.

the new runner has not been out enough to tell how it will be, but that 4.7L DOHC motor is soooooooo smooth. it is a great drivetrain, and should have the same toyota quality everyone who has owned one has experienced.

like i said, good luck.

FactsOfLife
04-15-2003, 07:48 PM

sorry kid, KID, i am not even going to dignify this with a response.

just curious, what type of vehicle do you drive?

Yeah. You're 17. A kid. Nothing wrong with that, just the way it is.

I have three vehicles at the moment, 93 SHO(for sale), 97 F150, and a 2000 Chrysler Concorde LXi.

The fact that you didn't get the Miller High Life Beer commercial reference "A man knows a stationwagon when he sees one" says volumes.

FactsOfLife
04-15-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Ascreennam3
he probably drives an el camino

nope, never owned one. Liked the 71 with the LS6 option in it though. Had to eat tires big time.

joez
04-16-2003, 02:39 PM
i appologize for not remembering word for word tv quotes. i am assuming that you seem to only buy American vehicles, which is funny by looking at what you drive.

the mazda built 4.0 is a great motor, it was just underpowered (160hp). if you are just planning oh having a nice all around daily driver, i would go with either the 4runner or the explorer, depending on money. the runner is going to be more expensive, just because of the Toyota name and the reliability synonomous with it. if you plan on taking this vehicle off-highway, i would go with the 4-runner, just because of the optional electronic locker in the rear. i know two people who have gotten over 175,000 miles out of thier explorers with the OHV 4.0L.

FactsOfLife
04-16-2003, 03:07 PM
i appologize for not remembering word for word tv quotes. i am assuming that you seem to only buy American vehicles, which is funny by looking at what you drive.

Nope, those are only the current vehicles.

In the past I've owned 2 Audis, one Toyota, and one Alfa Romeo.

All good cars in their own ways.

Just happens that all the ones I own at the moment are home grown.

joez
04-16-2003, 03:11 PM
just out of (more) curriositty, how did you like the alfa? i have always hear mixed reviews that seem to be on opposite ends of the spectrum.

FactsOfLife
04-16-2003, 04:53 PM
I had an 89 Milano Verde with the v6 in it.

fast stylish, horrible service(I thik that was merely the local dealer though) and fairly rare around here. Nice to NOT see yourself 40 times a day when driving.

Typicals for italian cars: gorgeous leather and craftsmanship, weird controls, very fast and strong engine. tranny had good tight feel, and exellent shifting. the suspension was fairly firm, but it still had some pretty hefty body roll if you pushed it.

crappy gas mileage.

lousy body, rusted badly quickly. and I wash my cars weekly.

overall it was a good car. don't particularly miss it though.

The one car I DO miss was my Audi Quattro. that was a great car.

Some year I'll make my second million and buy me an S8...:p

paintballsnowboarder
04-17-2003, 12:53 PM
4 runner baby or yukon

paintballsnowboarder
04-17-2003, 12:54 PM
get a street bike dude you dont need a car.

paintballsnowboarder
04-17-2003, 12:55 PM
how do some people on here have like 5,000 posts and *POOF*. hats crazy. You must be on your computer all day long .

Late Ben

paintballsnowboarder
04-17-2003, 12:55 PM
anygrls here wanna be my pod *POOF* you load my pds and stuff

WATCH THE CUSSING:mad: