PDA

View Full Version : Insonmia?

Catch22
04-14-2003, 09:18 PM
Hey Does anyone know the what actually constitutes being an insomniac? Just wondering. Thought it might make for good discussion.

FalconGuy016
04-14-2003, 09:20 PM
Someone who has a really hard time sleeping at night?

SlipknotX556
04-14-2003, 09:22 PM
Someone who stays up all night, everynight.

darklord
04-14-2003, 09:22 PM
Insomnia is a sleep disorder where you can't go to sleep, that's all I remember from my psych class. I think it has to do with the firing of neurons, but, doesn't everything? ;) :D

Catch22
04-14-2003, 09:25 PM
Everything has to do with the firing of paintball guns right?!

-Jôker-
04-14-2003, 09:35 PM
are there varying degrees of insomnia? if so i have a very light case of it... btw catch 22 kicks booty

gimp
04-14-2003, 10:12 PM
There are varying degrees of insomnia. I think something like, 40% of adults say they suffer from insomnia. Most of the people who report it get as much sleep as people who don't think they have insomnia, they just think that they need more.

Whats really cool is sleep disorder is Cataplexy, It's a symptom of narcalepsy, but instead of just getting really tired, and needing to sleep, you just fall down and pass out like a bag of potatoes. I think the worst sleep disorder would be apnea, it's when you stop breathing in your sleep, and wake up. It can happen all through the night. Night terrors would suck too. I used to sleep walk sometimes too. That was pretty sweet. I peed in the garbage can once.

We went over sleep disorders in my general psycology class this semester. This is probably the only time I'll use what I learned in that class.

ntn4502
04-14-2003, 10:16 PM
just about all the time its mental, aka stress/depression, woohoo I sleep good:)

Ultimator
04-14-2003, 10:19 PM
Insomnia actually runs in my family. About once or twice a month, no matter how hard I try, it's impossible for me to go to sleep. Some sort of miscommunication from my body to my brain or otherwise. The scary part is I'm not even that tired the next day.

punkerx1
04-15-2003, 01:44 AM
i think i suffer from it...i usually go to sleep at 5-6 am...not on purpose either.

Cryer
04-15-2003, 03:02 AM
you can tell the reall insomniacs by looking at the time that they posted...

:D

oldsoldier
04-15-2003, 09:34 AM
I suffer from insomnia. Yes, there are varying degrees; from having a hard time falling asleep, to not sleeping at all. Mine is on the lighter end; I have a hard time falling asleep, and dont sleep for more than 6 hours at a pop (unless I drank). I also suffer occasionally from night terrors...which is an entirely different animal.

NewMag
04-15-2003, 10:28 AM
TO quote murderize.com Imsomnia is FUNsomnia. You get to read a lot of books and get all kinds of work done.

pbguy888
04-15-2003, 08:43 PM
What are night terrors? Like really bad night mares or somethin?

Catch22
04-15-2003, 10:40 PM
I actually peed in a garbage can while I was awake and alert. I started on accident because my kitchen is near the bathroom and garbage can is a good height. Once I started and I couldn't stop so I just yelled "Mom im peeing in the garbage caaaaannn!!

gimp
04-15-2003, 11:24 PM
haha, sweet. I've almost done it when I was awake too. Probably when I was about 10. We kept a trashcan in the kitchen closet, which is close to the bathroom. I was daydreaming or something, but I whipped it out and almost let loose. Then it occured to me. I'm gonna pee in the trash. Luckily nobody saw me, and I just went in the toilet like a normal person.

*edit - haha, Last year, in the dorm. Instead of walking the 15 feet down the hall to the bathroom. I would stand on my desk and wizz out the window. If I was really drunk, and couldn't coordinate myself that much, I would go in a cup and chuck it out the window.

TransMan
04-15-2003, 11:32 PM
i peed on my bed when i was bout 3 or 4 got up in middle of the night to pee i turned around 3 times and pulled it out pissed right on the bed :D

nippinout
04-15-2003, 11:34 PM
I have trouble sleeping whenever I'm stressed.

I get stressed a lot over bascially nothing. It sucks.

Mossman
04-16-2003, 12:30 AM
Sleep? What's sleep?

I'd be happy about my inability to sleep properly if I could get some friggen work done, but I'm utterly useless and can't. What a shame :(

WickeDKlowN
04-16-2003, 09:56 AM
It's hard as hell for me to go to sleep. I just lay there and roll around for hours. But once i get to sleep, there ain't a damn think gonna wake me up.

Also, if I fall asleep for a while(like 30 mins toa hour) and someone wakes me up, I'm a whole different person. Like one time, my cousin was staying over, and I fell asleep for like 30 mins. When he woke me up and told me to go to bed, i walked into the room he was gonna sleep and when he asked me where i was going, I said "to take a Shiz" then closed the door. When he opened it up, he said i had my pants at my ankles, and i was about to sit on the bed.

Ultimator
04-16-2003, 03:06 PM
Yeah one time when I was a kid, I too peed in the kitched garbage can. I didn't think it was a very common thing :confused:.

One time when I couldn't go to sleep I just started running outside (figured it woud get me tired.) Then I just zoned out ... but I kept on running. It was the weirdest feeling I've ever had. I couldn't feel hardly anything and it the best I can describe it is that my body sort of felt liek a machine. When I finally snapped out of it I looked at my watch and I had been running for 2 hours.

johnny dee
04-16-2003, 07:20 PM
ive got insomnia, along with another sleeping disrder kinda thing, i dont need that much slep to function, only like 3-4 hour a nite is good for like 3 days worth of work, well back to insomnia, i basically i stay up late all the time and when i do get to sleep im up in like an hour doing somthing tryng to get back to sleep. im just realyl mesed up. it also has alot to do wth your body chemistry

SpongeBobSquarePants
04-16-2003, 08:07 PM
I have to friends one has bad insomnia, can't go to sleep for like a week but when he finally passes out, he want get up for about 3 days. Also if you call during this 3 day period and have a 20 min to a hour converstaion he will not remeber it. I also have a friend narcaleptic, he can't even get a real license, he can only drive to and from work he just randomly falls asleep. Mid conversation Him "Dude you remember when we were with those girls ZzZzZzZzZzZzZ dude do you remember that? Yea its pretty messed up. Also would someone tell me about night terrors only thing I know about them is that one time one the simpsons were homers is sleeping and says AHHHHH COBRAS!!!!

Derman2k
04-16-2003, 09:42 PM
Yea....what are night terrors? I think I have insomnia a little bit...I'll just lay in bed for like 3 hours before I actually fall asleep.

*captain_cox*37
04-17-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Derman2k
Yea....what are night terrors? I think I have insomnia a little bit...I'll just lay in bed for like 3 hours before I actually fall asleep.

Yeah same here. I am really tired so I get in bed and then I just lay there for and hour or so thinking about paintball and about anyhting on my mind before I go to sleep. It sux.

rehme
04-17-2003, 07:03 PM
i have a friend that has insomia and a sleeping disorder sometimes he will sleep for like 24 hours and be awake for like another 24 hours he said but it varies sometimes

not joking either