PDA

View Full Version : Lexan body sleeve/skin

Miscue
04-15-2003, 03:38 PM
I wonder what a minimalist sluggo body and a moldable material body sleeve would look like. Body's would be really cheap to make...

Why must everything be aluminum?

shartley
04-15-2003, 03:40 PM
I had actually thought of that… skins that you could put over your marker, swap them out at will. I think it would be interesting to play around with…..

Miscue
04-15-2003, 03:41 PM
Exactly... Body Skins... that's the term I was looking for. Just put sluggo on a lathe, remove most material possible... and slap on a skin.

There's gotta be a material that could be used for this... that will last a while... look as sexy as alum... and doesn't need mill work and anodization.

vf-xx
04-15-2003, 03:44 PM
If you want just coloring you might look into thin Lexan. It's what they use on RC cars. It can be painted on the inside and it could be made to just slide over using the feed neck and detent to hold it in place maybe?

JAM
04-15-2003, 05:25 PM
that sounds cool, but it would be tough to make it not look cheesy.

shartley
04-15-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by JAM
that sounds cool, but it would be tough to make it not look cheesy.
LOL Not too tough... after all I am sure we can name a few markers already ON the market that "look" plastic already and are quite cheesy. ;)

Cristobal
04-15-2003, 06:09 PM
wow, lots of "alternate materials" threads lately.

It strikes me that a "sleeve" design might be more feasible than an entire body, b/c the material wouldn't be so important for structural stength. Even so, you're still goiing to be looking for light weight, good impact strength properties, resistance to scratching, colorability, relatively low cost wide availability. Ironically enough these tend to be the very properties that make annodized Al such a good material for paintball gun bodies.

alf
04-15-2003, 10:47 PM
cool idea guys!

is frymarker still in the business?

-alf

JAM
04-16-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by shartley

LOL Not too tough... after all I am sure we can name a few markers already ON the market that "look" plastic already and are quite cheesy. ;)

I don't mean cheesy in design, there are plenty of markers that have cheesy milling/etc, but I just don't know how good a plastic mag sleeve would look. I'd love for it to work.

Cryer
04-16-2003, 01:56 PM
That's a very interesting idea. Endless possibilities. but I just got my ULE...

Originally posted by alf
cool idea guys!

is frymarker still in the business?

-alf

She recently decided to sell her molds so she could make more time for family.