PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ Max Flow Fill Nipple

UThomas
04-19-2003, 02:19 PM
I have an old style max flow (circa 96) that I got as part of a package deal. I just had it hydro tested and upon filling it for the first time I found that it leaked out of the fill nipple. So my question is, are fill nipples on old style max flows (reverse threaded bottle with on/off) special, and if I take it off can I fix it myself?

It looks very similar to the male end of a quick disconnect but I assume there are some bits and pieces inside so that it only take pressure in one direction?

I ended up getting a partial fill by turning the tank off before the guy vented the line and then putting a female quick disconnect with a stopper over the fill nipple and turning the bottle back on.

Thanks

UThomas
04-19-2003, 02:39 PM
Ok, so I just took it off and found that the fill nipple was actually just a male end of a quick disconnect. Is that normal on old style max flows?

Can I just replace it will a fill nipple like a normal tank?

alf
04-19-2003, 10:20 PM
hey uthomas,

i have compared the fill nipple to a quick disconnect nipple, and they are slightly different (at least mine were)...i could not connect a female QD fitting to the fill nipple...nor vice versa...

the thing that is probably bad, is the o-ring on the piston inside of the fill nipple...

-alf

Mossman
04-19-2003, 10:52 PM
Take it to your shop, and ask if they have a fill nipple o-ring replacement. If not ask to buy a fill nipple (probably 10 or 15 bucks), and put it on there while they watch or have them do it to be sure. It'll be just fine.

mykroft
04-20-2003, 10:24 AM
A fill nipple is not a QD, the fill nipple is different internally.

The only tank to use a non-standard fill nipple is the Angel AIR.

Kevmaster
04-20-2003, 10:45 AM
yep. the fill nipples are regular male 1/8"NPT threads. You can replace it with any fill nipple at any store. Just dont get one that is for a QD. They dont have the intneral one way valve inside to keep air from going right back out the nipple

UThomas
04-20-2003, 06:16 PM
Thanks for all the feedback!