PDA

View Full Version : Looks like it was my turn

Zumina
04-20-2003, 08:24 PM
With all this talk of ignorant drivers and accidents, it only seemed like a matter of time before something happened to another one of us. Well, it happened to me, yesterday.
A 17 year old gentleman in a pickup truck decided he would not stop or look before crossing a rather busy street. I was in the left lane traveling at the speed limit, 45mph, when this gentleman pulled out into the road, right in front of me. I quickly swerved to the right, coming within inches of hitting him broadside, went off the road, airborne, over/into a ditch, and into a light foundation.

Luckily, I escaped unscathed (ALWAYS wear your seatbelt), but my car is literally in peices. The police arrived shortly and determined that the other driver was at fault for failing to yield. I don't have a picture of the car yet, but here's one of the point of impact. Notice how the light post is tilted at a 30 degree angle?

Blazestorm
04-20-2003, 08:26 PM
dont see it

FalconGuy016
04-20-2003, 08:27 PM
Im sorry :(

SpongeBobSquarePants
04-20-2003, 08:28 PM
That sucks dude, stupied drivers are a vicious cycle they will get us all.

paintbattler
04-20-2003, 08:29 PM
Oh, man. That must suck. I am sorry for you. Was it a scary moment when you were in the air?

Zumina
04-20-2003, 08:35 PM
it's hard to see because I had to size the image down and where the skid marks stop, I was in the air.

darklord
04-20-2003, 09:02 PM
Man, you gotta look out for bad drivers. Thank goodness you had your seatbelt on, man! Sorry about your car, but at least it was not your fault.

pbzmag
04-21-2003, 02:21 AM
Glad to know that your doing fine. The exact same thing happened to me. Except that I didn't wreck my car. I was in the center lane driving the speed limit. They guy on the other side decided to turn left to try to beat me. Luckily I had a feeling that he would do that. But the time he turned left didn't leave me much time to break safely. I had to break just before the crosswalk and then swerve to the left alittle to avoid hitting him in the trunk. Damn I hate bad drivers!

shartley
04-21-2003, 05:07 AM
I can honestly say I am sorry this happened to you. The weather gets warmer and people get reckless and stupid.

On a side note…. Reckless….. interesting word. Add a W to it and it would be the opposite of its meaning.

Glad you are okay.... now I hope he had good insurance.

Zumina
04-21-2003, 06:19 PM
Here's the damage:

Zumina
04-21-2003, 06:19 PM

Zumina
04-21-2003, 06:21 PM
another

Zumina
04-21-2003, 06:22 PM
last one

Mango
04-21-2003, 06:35 PM
Zumina: I'm glad to see that you are alright! That is the most important thing. Did the other driver stop or did he flee the scene?

yeahthatsme
04-21-2003, 06:41 PM
i'm glad that our alright and i hope that guy gets in big trouba....as i've said before, stupid should hurt...really really bad...

Zumina
04-21-2003, 06:44 PM
He was smart enough to stop. Had he fled, several witnesses had his license plate memorized. Everything is tangled in insurance limbo at the moment, but hopefully all of this will be settled by the end of the semester.

RobAGD
04-21-2003, 06:54 PM
If Given the option of hitting object or the idiot that is causing the accident I typically hit the idiot. Major reason being its less of an insurance issue. I bad as that sounds I would be willing to bet your insuance ends up paying out on your claim then sueing the driver of the truck for the damages.

Yea your car need a few hours of frame time and a good body shop. I would say unless there is some more hidden damage just a rough guess about 5-6k in damages (not counting air bags if your car has them ). For giggles post up the estimate on repairs :)

-Robert

Trench
04-21-2003, 07:04 PM
Oh well... some drivers suck... We will all be hit by one, maybe they will at least be in a car and us in our F550

shartley
04-21-2003, 07:09 PM
Yeah, put up the estimates! I am doing good so far… only about 2k worth of work in the initial estimate from the Insurance Appraiser. My car gets her full bumper to bumper inspection tomorrow morning. I would say you didn’t get off so well…. unfortunately.

Zumina
04-21-2003, 09:03 PM
I was told today it was going to cost about $10k to repair the damage to the frame alone.

Russ
04-21-2003, 09:10 PM
$10,000? That's gotta be totalled...I see the roof & above the rear wheel is buckled. That's the sign of doom.

So, what's your next car gonna be?

pbzmag
04-21-2003, 09:17 PM
WOW! Just make your car a loss and have the other guy pay for another car. I'm not sure but I think $10K is more than the blue book value of your car.

Zumina
04-21-2003, 10:48 PM
It's totalled. It's book value is right around $5k or so.

Once I get the insurance check for both the car and my rental expenses, it's time to go Twin Turbo 300ZX or Camaro shopping.

Mossman
04-22-2003, 12:04 AM
Uh Oh! Your car is broked :(

Hope it gets resolved speedily and you get a nicer set of wheels next time. Glad you're unscathed.

PS. Get a nice car, but it doesn't have to be too nice. You don't want to have a car thats TOOOO much faster than shartley's 6 banger 'stang, then he'll get pissy and take it out on us :D

Restola
04-22-2003, 12:09 AM
Stories like that are what keep me from ever wanting a motorcycle :-/

pbzmag
04-22-2003, 12:13 AM
If you really want to see bad drivers, go to the Phillipines. A three lane turns into five. My mom has alot of stories about drivers there!:)

Miscue
04-22-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Restola
Stories like that are what keep me from ever wanting a motorcycle :-/

If that doesn't do it, then seeing what a motorcycle accident looks like... might.

My buddy REALLY wanted to get a motorcycle. Then he started working as an EMT. He's gone to several fatal motorcycle accidents... which are not pretty... and now he will stick to 4 wheeled vehicles.

Sucks about your car... hope everything works out.

shartley
04-22-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Mossman
PS. Get a nice car, but it doesn't have to be too nice. You don't want to have a car thats TOOOO much faster than shartley's 6 banger 'stang, then he'll get pissy and take it out on us :D
What? I don’t care how fast anyone else’s car is compared to mine. I think I have said that time and again here on AO…. But since it looks like you missed it….. I don’t care how fast anyone else’s car is compared to mine. ;):D

There is much more to a car than just how fast it goes… and that is an understatement beyond words.

And anyone who underestimates a car because it “only has a 6 banger in it” will most likely get left behind by that 6 banger. ;) I can assure you that my 6 banger is not the same as it was when it was driven off the showroom floor, or even like it was last summer… and it has even more “upgrades” coming. :D But I do it for ME, not to be “faster than the next guy”. :)

Yes, Zumina… looks like you will definitely be getting a new ride. I am sure you will take as much pride in it as you did with this one. And THAT is what is important. But don’t you just HATE the down time?!?!?! It took a fraction of a second for someone to mess up your car, but now you have to wait for a new one! Grrrrr….. my Car is having its bumper to bumper inspection this morning at the auto body shop, and then it has to get the work done TO it.

So… I feel your pain. But at least mine will be fixed and I don't have to get a new one.