PDA

View Full Version : Retro valve vs. X valve

Snoop Bobby Bob
04-21-2003, 12:07 PM
I got into...well, let's just say "a discussion" with my paintball brother who runs an automag w/retro valve and he said he had a guy offer him his x valve for his retrovalve+$150...on the surface, that looks to be a good deal but I told him that basically the x valve is just the a lighter version of his retro with a lvl 10 upgrade. I told him to just buy the lvl 10 upgrade from airgun and save about $70. He said that the x valve is faster, pushes your finger out harder so you can achieve higher rates of fire than with the retro. He made a good arguement, I guess what I'm asking is for some feedback from you guys that know more than me. Is there really a big difference b/w the x valve and a retro w/ a lvl 10 bolt? Somebody set the record straight for us please. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected. If he's wrong, please let me know ASAP so I can stop him from wasting his money. Thanks for your time guys.

cphilip
04-21-2003, 12:13 PM
You are absolutely correct. Realy there is very little difference at all. they should perform about the same...

However there is one difference in the shapes of the air chamber between the two. Because the PT and its fitting had to be SS to hold up to the force and that had to screw into the Aluminum air chamber differently to make it just as strong it attached differently. It had to be milled to screw inside the Aluminum part the back area of the valve that lost a little chamber area. So it had to be enlarged in the rear to make the chambers the same size as before. And they are the same but just different shapes. But Tom does not feel nor has he seen any difference in the performance of that as they hold the same volume of air and seem to dump it all the same way.

JEDI
04-21-2003, 01:09 PM
Duh!!! Noooo...The X-valves are more accurate, and shoot much further....Duh... :D

Jonesie
04-21-2003, 01:30 PM
Aside from what Phil said, the X is just an aluminum Retro.

Both expose the On/Off pin to the unregulated pressure from the tank, giving it the reactivity. So they really are the same as far as ROF and recharge rate.

Dave