PDA

View Full Version : Science Fair Project

EchoX
04-24-2003, 12:38 AM
My school forces me to do a science fair project, and I was thinking of doing something easy and fast, but that wouldn't really be of interest to me. Since paintball is one of the main things in my life, I was thinking why not do a science fair project on it. Paintball does revolve around science and physics, so why not try it. What do u guys think I should do? I hear a lot about .693 bore barrels being just as accurate as a bore matched directly to the paint. Another one would be open bolt vs. closed bolt (though that could get pretty expensive with the conversion kits). What other projects would u guys suggest I do?

adam shannon
04-24-2003, 12:59 AM
how the fluid dynamics of a paintball leaves a circular welt with a hole in the center as opposed to a full welt like you would expect. we all accept it having amny of them on us every week...but the average non-paintballer is always amazed at the little " O " welts. ive actually been asked if its ringworm...lol.

complicationjack
04-24-2003, 10:04 AM
i would second that! ...why are they rings??

painball
04-24-2003, 10:13 AM
i'll third it. An inexpensive project. That sounds reallt interesting though

Me
04-24-2003, 10:33 AM
theyre circles because the outside shell is much thicker and condenses on itself while the inside explodes. atleast thats what i think

impostal22
04-24-2003, 10:37 AM
i agree w/ that but i dunno how you'd go about researching that...although i think it's just cuz the ball breaks on impact and the force spreads away from the center...but i dunno how you'd research it. maybe shoot someone with one of the paintless paintballs and then with a regular paintball, see if they both leave similar welts.

adam shannon
04-24-2003, 01:05 PM
its deffinately a science thing. you can attack it from a couple diffrent angles.

1) how a fluid filled sphere reacts to impact.
2) the hydro shock affect of human flesh.
3) the dynamics of why the ball breaks like it does.

im sure some paint company must have research on this topic. maybe even high speed slow motion video of it.

doesnt AGD do research with high speed cameras. you could take tom to school for show and tell...and it would also be a good time on the buss ride home after school to beg for an x-mag...lol.

EchoX
04-24-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by adam shannon
you could take tom to school for show and tell...and it would also be a good time on the buss ride home after school to beg for an x-mag...lol.

LOL. Any other suggestions? I'm lookin for some thing in which I can test, and I dunno how I'll be able to test how a paintball leaves a welt on someone. Besides shooting them up, I don't have access to other different types of paintballs.

EchoX
04-24-2003, 01:40 PM
What about rifling on barrels? Or is that already a given?

cphilip
04-24-2003, 02:25 PM
Whatever you do it must have...

Clearly stated Hypothesis
exact Materials and Methods
Variables and Controls (important or it's a "demonstrative" project and not a "scientific" experiment as it should be)
Results with good pictures and graphs on the display board
research paper (not always required but a nice touch)
Conclusion
Bibliography
Good Presentation Quality

You should be able to look at the board and tell EVERYTHING about the project. It should leave little to hunt for in the papers.

TheJester
04-24-2003, 09:00 PM
do a search in the deep blue, i know there's a thread or 2 in there about the welt issue

WickeDKlowN
04-24-2003, 09:36 PM
I like the welt project. Just use a friend as a test subject :D

Or you could see if velocity affects accuracy, and whick velocity is the most accurate.

cphilip
04-25-2003, 08:21 AM
I suggest you use your parents! There are supposed to help you with school work right? :D

J Murder
04-25-2003, 08:33 AM
anodizing is full of science! Theres a huge chemical reaction that takes place. You should give it a try. Its not all that hard but there are some mildly harsh chemicals, and you would get to use words like "aluminum oxide" and such:p

J Murder
04-25-2003, 08:35 AM
also here is an awesome site if you want to try it out:

How To Anodize at Home (http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html)

Here's one already in the form of a lab:

Here (http://www.howe.k12.ok.us/~jimaskew/chmlab28.htm)