PDA

View Full Version : Any one heard of the bands..

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
04-24-2003, 07:52 PM
The Rocket Summer
Yellowcard
or
Rufio?

(just wondering, I'm going to see Taking Back Sunday and The Rocket Summer at a party thing on May 16th, and then Yellowcard Rufio AFI and billions of others at warped tour)

MagMan5446
04-24-2003, 10:30 PM
Yeah I've heard of em...

I may go to the warped tour to see Dropkick Murphys, Rancid and Pennywise. AFI won't be around here :(

Reason I may go is because most of the bands suck. Taking Back Sunday and Saves the Day and the like are alright sometimes, but not enough for me to care to watch them live.

But DKM is the greatest.

xadamx
04-24-2003, 11:28 PM
give up the ghost (ex american nightmare) is better than all those bands ;)

DaveDog
04-25-2003, 02:09 AM
Never heard of any of them. I guess I'm not cool. :(

Cryer
04-25-2003, 02:13 AM
Rufio....
?
Hey! Wasn't he in a movie with Peter Pan?!?!?
Yeah, I know him!
:confused:

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
04-25-2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Cryer
Rufio....
?
Hey! Wasn't he in a movie with Peter Pan?!?!?
Yeah, I know him!
:confused:

Yeah on one of their CDs on the first song, the intro is the rufio chant from the movie...its great

dropkick1
04-25-2003, 08:08 AM
yeah i heard of em, but they're all not very good emo stuff, taking back sunday is pretty much the only emo i'll ever listen to and thats very rare, but DKM rules(obviously) gonna see them at warped tour and i saw them on st. patties day :-)

ken

Vex
04-25-2003, 01:58 PM
All I have to say is that Pennywise is the bestest!

http://www.pennywisdom.com/images/lftop.jpg

EsPo
04-25-2003, 03:18 PM
my buddy is crazy for like all those bands but AFI.. AFI is freaking awesome. I was thinking about going to the warped tour this year, then i saw that NOFX wasnt their.. and there was a bunch of crap pop/fakepunk/emo bands...that tour went to crap.

i remember at the 00 warped, we were in line to get tickets, and somebody broke down the barrier holding us back from getting in free, then like everybody just ran in there, and came running right back after like 2 seconds cause we saw cop/horses running at us.. scary stuff.

Kai
04-25-2003, 06:02 PM
The only band mentioned in this thread that is worth listening to is AFI.

EsPo
04-25-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Kai
The only band mentioned in this thread that is worth listening to is AFI.
amen.

dropkick1
04-26-2003, 02:26 PM
AFI sold out, sorry guys, they were good in their older albums but they are horrible now.

ken

EsPo
04-26-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by dropkick1
AFI sold out, sorry guys, they were good in their older albums but they are horrible now.

ken
thats funny.. i didnt hear a change in their music that conforms to what other people think....but i agree with you in a sense, mainly because their "sing the sorrows" album is advertised... EVERYWHRE.

RetroEclipseMan
04-26-2003, 02:45 PM
I agree that AFI's new stuff doesn't compaire to their old stuff but I don't know if they really sold out. I think that their music has just progressed into something different and maybe to them something better.If a band didn't progress musically then they'd be putting out the basically the same album over and over.Just look at Tool. If you follow their music from Opiate clear to Lateralus you can see that the style has definately changed but they defiately didn't sell out.

dropkick1
04-26-2003, 04:35 PM
there is a def change and i think their most recent change is selling out, i mean they coulda stayed on nitro records and changed how they sounded btu why go to dreamworks for reasons other than money? and they have changed a lot. originally they got together as a misfits coverband and progressed to their first album in 1996 called "very proud of ya" which is really good but their new stuff is just no where near as good, but everyone has their own opinions, i was just listening to them before all of the change to the new label and have seen them change, i started listening to them around 1997 but its only my opinion.

ken

tsc
04-26-2003, 05:22 PM
I've seen Yellowcard live.. I didn't really enjoy them. Of course, their music isn't quite what I'm into, so that probably has alot to do with it. I like Rufio, but haven't seen them live.

Re:AFI

Around Shut Your Mouth And Open Your Eyes/Black Sails in The Sunset albums, they went from traditional punk to 'goth' punk. After that they went towards rock (Girls Not Grey).

I spoke to Davey after a concert once, and he mentioned how he despised MTV/radio top 40 songs/bands. Well...I hear Girls Not Grey on the radio at least 3 times a day, and The MTV thing? Ow Davey, Ow. The band that opened for them said something wonderful.. "Everyone's saying AFI has sold out..man, they haven't changed at all..they still dress up in latex and sing about bats and [stuff]!" Ah, well. My favorite Davey line is "I wanna see my boys make some blood happen.." NOT ON MTV!

I can now say I liked AFI when they were punk.

(PS Davey in latex pants..hoo-boy. ;) )

Edit: Wow. That was really incoherent. Sorry.

FutureMagOwner
04-26-2003, 05:24 PM
my friend is a very big yellow card fan that isnt really my kinda music though i like bands more like tool(in fact tool is my favorite band)

EsPo
04-26-2003, 06:02 PM
one conclusion can be made from this thread... punk is dead for sure...but i love it :D (yes.. punk, not this fake punk stuff)

land hurricane
04-26-2003, 08:36 PM
Yeah I've heard of all of em but yellowcard. I dont really like much of that kinda stuff anymore, i dunno why.

DaveDog
04-27-2003, 03:37 AM
there is a def change and i think their most recent change is selling out, i mean they coulda stayed on nitro records and changed how they sounded btu why go to dreamworks for reasons other than money? and they have changed a lot. originally they got together as a misfits coverband and progressed to their first album in 1996 called "very proud of ya" which is really good but their new stuff is just no where near as good, but everyone has their own opinions, i was just listening to them before all of the change to the new label and have seen them change, i started listening to them around 1997 but its only my opinion.

ken

So should they stay on Nitro and get little to no notice because Dexter has his head up his arse about promoting or jump ship to Dreamworks where they may get a better opportunity to promote themselves? Anyone that has ever signed to a label is a sell out. If you don't want to sell out, keep your music in your garage. Personally I say get paid for playing music that you like. Beats flipping burgers. Besides, any bit of Punk Rock that was alive died with Joey Ramone and Joe Strummer.

dropkick1
04-27-2003, 10:56 AM
b/c all punk revolved around them so we should all just give up, punk will never be dead

ken

HoppysMag
04-27-2003, 12:05 PM
DKM! OI!

WicKeD_WaYz
04-27-2003, 12:19 PM
yellow card and rufio are both good bands to hear especially to be opening. And i really liked afi's new cd. It was pretty tight

DaveDog
04-27-2003, 02:44 PM
b/c all punk revolved around them so we should all just give up, punk will never be dead

ken

Only in "their" music does it live. The self proclaimed "punks" of today think because they wear the clothes and play the style that makes them punk. It's way beyond that. It has to do with a time in history. Apathy is the order or the day and most of these kids don't care about the larger issues that the Clash did or just kick it out like the Ramones did. I mean c'mon. There is no comparison.