PDA

View Full Version : Working Protos of the Nerve and '03 Shocker are out there ...

Ultimator
04-24-2003, 09:35 PM
I found this on another forum and figured you guys would be interested seeing as how there are a lot of rumors saying SP doesn't have a working model of either the Nerve or the Shocker out.
http://www.badlandspaintball.com/aboutus/smartparts/shockerlogo.jpghttp://www.badlandspaintball.com/aboutus/smartparts/nervelogo.jpg
http://www.badlandspaintball.com/aboutus/smartparts/adamtrevbradgrah2.jpg
http://www.badlandspaintball.com/aboutus/smartparts/trevnerve.jpghttp://www.badlandspaintball.com/aboutus/smartparts/trevdanielbrad2.jpg
"The new Shocker looks small in the catalog. Think smaller! This marker is so light and tight weighing in at a mere 1 pound 10 ounces! That's less than your empty 20oz tank! Are you getting the picture? We were shocked (no pun intended). The smiles didn't leave our faces for at least an hour. Few moving parts, easy disassembly, high rate of fire, closed bolt accuracy - this marker is going to shake things up in the spring. We could tell you more, but then we'd have to kill you!"

magman007
04-24-2003, 09:37 PM
ultimator, even at the time of that review, it hadnt been tweeked to the way they want it, and it still isnt...

so...

adam shannon
04-24-2003, 09:43 PM
my local shop says another month on the new shocker. supposedly it works. a friend of mine saw the blueprints on another site so supposedly it does work.

http://haveblue.org/tech/patents/us20030005918.pdf

Jonesie
04-24-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Ultimator
closed bolt accuracy

Am I the only one who caught this? I thought WE killed it! :rolleyes:

Dave

cheetah256
04-24-2003, 10:03 PM
yeah. the PB2X review claims that the only thing they kept from the old shocker to the new is the "closed bolt accuracy". =\

Evil Bob
04-24-2003, 10:41 PM
Yeah, they hype all the myths, there are still people out there that believe it and will buy it just because it's "closed bolt".

-Evil Bob

Mossman
04-24-2003, 10:47 PM
Ye Olde News Sire

Let them say whatever they want about closed bolt, who cares...

eg0_Slayer
04-25-2003, 12:42 AM
I don't know about the shocker...but the nerve looks pretty nice...is it just going to be a "spiffy" impulse or something?...or a whole different marker?

Cryer
04-25-2003, 02:35 AM
I think it's completly different...
BTW, what kind of tank covers are those? (or are they part of the tank?)

DjGruv
04-25-2003, 04:31 AM
1.10 LBS.!! NICE! This thing is going to rock. Might be my next toy:D

EsPo
04-25-2003, 05:43 AM
those pics are from canda, i posted it at IOG and it was already posted here once :D

Pand0ra
04-25-2003, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by eg0_Slayer
I don't know about the shocker...but the nerve looks pretty nice...is it just going to be a "spiffy" impulse or something?...or a whole different marker?

Whole different marker, with features never seen anywhere else.
The two biggest one are (comming from the patent):

1° The marker checks the speed of the loader, and optimise the time the bold stays open.
2° The marker measures the speed at which the paintball leaves the marker (in fact it measures the pressure behind the ball, or something close to this), and adapts automatically the pressure inside the internal chamber and/or the dwell.

According to SPUNK, the Nerve is delayed by 5 months, so should be released end of this year. They said the Shocker will be available at Toulouse, which is in July.

@++

JAM
04-25-2003, 08:31 AM
can someone tell me how a couple of still photos we've seen before prove that there are "working models"?

cphilip
04-25-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Pand0ra
2° The marker measures the speed at which the paintball leaves the marker (in fact it measures the pressure behind the ball, or something close to this), and adapts automatically the pressure inside the internal chamber and/or the dwell.

There is only one logical reason it would need to do that...assuming it can....is because it cannot recharge fast enough to be sure its ready. So resultingly it would have to slow the marker down to keep up or dump more air if the chamber was not fully charged when you pulled the trigger. Now does the marker have a variable sized air chamber so it could dump more air? Doesn't say so. And if thats the case then it would have to slow the marker down. So it this thing not going to shoot until its ready?

The only reason you would need to measure shots and compensate is if you lack the means to be sure. And unlike the RT Valve that is certain to be ready, they appear to have tried to compensate by logic boards and the result will have to be slower rate of fire. Sorry but something has to give.

Ultimator
04-25-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by JAM
can someone tell me how a couple of still photos we've seen before prove that there are "working models"? First of all, how would they vbe able to describe how fast it is or how much it weighed if it was just a block of aluminum.

Second of all, OK SORRY I didn't know the pics had already been posted for Christ's sake. Everyone might not have seen it the first time (like me). I'm not on here 24/7 so I don't know what every single thread has in it.
"Let he who is without sin throw the first stone."

JAM
04-25-2003, 10:52 AM
hey Ultimator, i'm not flaming you at all, i don't care if the pics have been posted before, I'm pretty interested in these guns and would love to hear about/see production models.

What I meant was that describing how a future gun will function/ how fast it'll be/ how much it'll weigh and showing some aluminum mockups to a magazine are not the type of "real" info we're looking for.

that's all.
-j

JEDI
04-25-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by JAM
can someone tell me how a couple of still photos we've seen before prove that there are "working models"?
What's the big debate about whether or not they have a working marker. Whats the big secret? They've obviously got a prototype. I'm sure it does something. Whats with the skepticism? Who really cares, when its ready, it will be released?

Whats wrong with a little marketing hype before something comes out? You cant just fling a new gun upon the paintball world one day, and expect people to flock to it. You let small bits of info out, and then when its ready, you release it.

We have such a hypocritical rumor mill here on AO. Like "Whoa!" "something new huh? I've got my eye on you" "Screw up once, and BAM! your 25 years of business and research is finished buddy!!"

I mean, I like that we scientifically prove fact or fiction, and shoot down hype on a daily basis. Its good. But to scrutinize photographs like "Hey...that gun can't possable work...the guys shoe laces are untied..." :D

Mossman
04-25-2003, 11:10 AM
Yea yea yea. JEDI the reason AO is like that is cuz Tom and others have dispelled myths 5 years ago that these companies are still promoting strong. Closed bolt accuracy? Before the gun's built yet? It just shows how little they care about how their markers actually work and how important the spec sheet is to them.

How could the nerve be delayed 5 months??? It's an imp gosh darnit! Nothing new...just some milling...i don't get it.

the123
04-25-2003, 11:23 AM
I'm more intrested in that airsystem! Maxflow on a diet!

battlegroup
04-25-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by cphilip
There is only one logical reason it would need to do that...assuming it can....is because it cannot recharge fast enough to be sure its ready. So resultingly it would have to slow the marker down to keep up or dump more air if the chamber was not fully charged when you pulled the trigger. Now does the marker have a variable sized air chamber so it could dump more air? Doesn't say so. And if thats the case then it would have to slow the marker down. So it this thing not going to shoot until its ready?

The only reason you would need to measure shots and compensate is if you lack the means to be sure. And unlike the RT Valve that is certain to be ready, they appear to have tried to compensate by logic boards and the result will have to be slower rate of fire. Sorry but something has to give.

If they didn't say "Dwell" I would assume that they were trying to electronically improve consistency by measureing the pressure of air behind the ball and fine tuning the regulator. But if they are adjusting "dwell" it sound like Cphilip is right and the gun has an optimum recharge time that may be slower than you can pull the trigger and the gun has to slow itself down to prevent dropoff.

JEDI
04-25-2003, 11:30 AM
Mossman, I'm not debating whether or not we should fight hype. I'm just saying that the constant bickering over products that have yet to be released gets old. Its Smart Parts for god's sake! Every time some one steps any where near AO, our first reaction is so negative. We're not the all mighty paintball police. :D We like Automags for a reason. Lets stop being that annoying girl in class that always has to answer your question before the teacher does, or corrects your every frickin word. :rolleyes:

NJsyndicate
04-25-2003, 11:31 AM
There are working models of the 03 shocker around, unfortunately only like 7 people outside SP have shot it :o . I was talking to a friend who is in good with the people from <a href="http://www.hypersportworks.com">hypersport works</a> (they make damn fine/stupid fast impys), he was saying that SP brought some of the major aftermarket providers for SP (hypersports, toxic, etc...) to shoot it. From what he heard it shot beautifully, the trigger was so nice that the owner of hypersports said that he wouldn't even bother with building an i-frame for it. when they actually get it to market, who knows but it should be a solid gun.

thecavemankevin
04-25-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by the123
I'm more intrested in that airsystem! Maxflow on a diet!

amen brotha!

but i gata admit i am really intrigued by the new shocker. but i think i will definatly wait till it's been out for a year or so to let them fix any bugs that it is sure to have and update software. Not to mention that the price is probably going to be crazy high (just speculation)

joez
04-25-2003, 12:10 PM
i know a guy who got to shoot the new shocker. of course, it wasnt done yet (board taped and seran wrapped to frame, still mainly square aluminum) but all the internals were there. he said it was awesome. now the nerver on the other hand, i have still been told that it doesnt work yet.

JAM
04-25-2003, 12:26 PM
I'm not being negative at all, i just want some real info/reports on the guns, I'm tired of hearing how great they will be, i want to see how great they ARE.

-j

TNS2k2
04-25-2003, 03:27 PM
And again, this was taken from one of my posts on PBnation. Oh and Magman, at time of that review, the guns were working PERFECTLY. as SP told me, they are having some Blowback issues right now, but that is to be fixed. that wasnt really a review. That was done by the people at Badlands paintball, a canadian paintball company. They distribute alot of SP products, and they got to go on a Factory tour.

Ultimator
04-25-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Mossman
Before the gun's built yet ... How could the nerve be delayed 5 months??? It's an imp gosh darnit! Nothing new...just some milling...i don't get it. Hypocrisy ... the gun's not even built yet and you're claiming it's an imp ... lol :D

Couldn't resist.

EsPo
04-25-2003, 08:22 PM
JAM, talk to hcx_impulse, or hxc_impulse or froth, cant remember which, on IOG, hes felt/shot them.

magman007
04-25-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by TNS2k2
And again, this was taken from one of my posts on PBnation. Oh and Magman, at time of that review, the guns were working PERFECTLY. as SP told me, they are having some Blowback issues right now, but that is to be fixed. that wasnt really a review. That was done by the people at Badlands paintball, a canadian paintball company. They distribute alot of SP products, and they got to go on a Factory tour.

apparently, if it is having blowback issure ,it isnt working perfectly is it?

TNS2k2
04-26-2003, 12:50 PM
Magman, maybe i should have continued with that one. they were using a HaloB at the time, which was pretty hard to tell that the issue was there. i believe they found out, trying to tes the ACE, with a Revvie. this is what i was told anyhow. but it worked flawlessly with the Halo.