PDA

View Full Version : Is there hope for my old mag???

tnutz
04-27-2003, 08:25 PM
Hey, all. I'm fairly new to this forum. Looks like there's a wealth of info here. I have an old mag. I bought it used in 98 from my boss. He had bought it several years before that, I'm not exactly sure when. I got it with the crown point barrel and a Dye stainless 10". I'm attaching a pic. I just added the x-chamber and macro last week. Before that I had micro running to the bottomline. I also run remote. It shoots alright, I get drop off from time to time and the occasional velocity spike, but I'd like to get it preforming like I know it's probably capable of. Or is it? Am I better off selling it and going new, or upgrading my old classic. I know running HPA would probably help tremendously, but there's no place to get fills in my area and I can't justify spending $ on doing it myself. If upgrading is a good option, what's the first thing I could do to increase preformance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cristobal
04-27-2003, 09:57 PM
Welcome to AO :D

There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get that old mag performing like a champ, even on co2.

Its good to hear you got the microline off and put macro on; you're mag will like the increase flow rate:)

In terms of upgrades, generally the first two recommended are HPA (or a good CO2 setup) and a motorized loader. Since you've got a revy by the looks of it, and are sticking with CO2, I'd suggest as a first upgrade to get a good CO2 friendly regulator like a Palmer Stabalizer. It will do a lot more than an expansion to keep liquid out, and keep your consistency solid. Having two regulators in series will be better than one alone, especially with tempermental C02 -- just don't overkill it and put three on there:O (you need >200psi between regs, and three of them, besides giving you limited additional benefit would likely starve your valve for air) Oh, and if you move to on-gun co2, make sure to use and anti-siphon

Other upgrades:
The intelliframe gets rave reviews as the best manual frame for mags... works particularly nicely with a retrovalve (or x-valve!) too.
A lvl 10 bolt upgrade will make it virtually impossible to chop paint without slowing down the marker.

Beyond that, there's various sluggo bodies, warp feeds, ule rails, force feed hoppers, barrels etc... but the first three would do a lot to bring out the best in your mag's performance.

EDIT: Thought of one more thing: read the power-feed plug new vs old thread, and check to what pf plug you have. Replace the old style with a new style if necessary