PDA

View Full Version : Squeegee's, Obsolete? (LX)

Russ
04-27-2003, 11:03 PM
Last June, I got a LX kit from AGD (Thanks, Tom!) I didn't get to play with it enough until this "season" I now have many cases of paint (another 1 1/2 today) through the E-Mag, and I'm yet to break a ball!

Old, brittle, 1 bounce stuff, no problem. Rainy days, cold days, no problem. heck, I haven't even had a barrel break!

So, has LX brought about the demise of the squeegee? Will the 'Mag, shunned for it's "paint blender" reputation, be the gun that sends the squeegee to the same fate as the dodo bird and the dinosaur?

Well, I'll keep carrying one, because other folks still seem to have a lot of breaks http://www.thehighroad.org/images/smilies/fce32f95.gif

QUINCYMASSGUY
04-27-2003, 11:13 PM
I just recently bought a squeegie cause even though my breech breaks became nonexisted when i finally finished fixing the ball detent, i keep getting barrel breaks halfway down my Smartparts Teardrop, it's a good barrel but if i'm stuck using crap paint at fields, breaks happen and a squeegie is critical.

slushee
04-27-2003, 11:14 PM
well .. all was well until I got ahold of super cheap zap paint at walmart....

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76956

Gijim
04-28-2003, 12:54 AM
I haven't carried a squeegee since last year June, usually a friend borrows one since they shoot those other markers that break paint.:D Seriously I've had no need for one at all, its truly amazing, an upgrade that actually works rather than just hype. It's the only upgrade worth every penny:)

BlackVCG
04-28-2003, 02:37 AM
I still use my Redz barrel swabs to polish the barrel and get out the oil and buildup that accumulates between games...

Frank (the spank)
04-28-2003, 03:00 AM
I really love AGD....

The automag.. the problem? Shootdown.. so AGD comes back with the FASTEST recharging valve in paintball...

Another problem? All that rapid fire chops paint...

So AGD comes back with a bolt that will never chop a paintball. LOL.. I just gotta laugh my *** off, AGD sees a problem and then not only fixes it, they make it the best in paintball.

So uh.. the problem now.. not enough Xmags and they're expensive. Hopefully we'll see 'em on sale at Wal-Mart for $29.99 :)

I can dream can't I?

EsPo
04-28-2003, 05:40 AM
ill buy your squeegee :D thats the one piece of paintball equipment that is pretty much essential.. and ive never owned one. :(

Russ is feeling the power of the magic elves that stop the bolt everytime hes about to chop ;);)

PzYcO
04-28-2003, 06:05 AM
i NEVER chop, but i break in barrel some times, so yes i carry a squeege

Jonesie
04-28-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by BlackVCG
I still use my Redz barrel swabs to polish the barrel and get out the oil and buildup that accumulates between games...

I have one of the Redz Fleece Squeegies. I use it to dry out my barrel after I clean it after a day of play.

Down at Mardi Gras this year, I played all eight games with my E-Mag and didn't have a ball break in the gun all weekend! That's more than a case (I play front) with my barrel going into the mud, sliding and crawling in 6" deep marshes! Not to mention Rocco and I were consistantly find the pain to be 0 bounce.

LX is good. Now that I have my X-Mag ACE+LX = AMAZING!

So far in the X I have broken 2 balls in the gun, and that was while I was adjusting my LX!

Later ~ Dave

Reo5th
04-28-2003, 09:28 AM
Its pretty ignorent to say that you have no use for a squeegee anymore. LX prevents the majority of breech chops, but does nothing for barrel breaks.

BlackVCG
04-28-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Reo5th
Its pretty ignorent to say that you have no use for a squeegee anymore. LX prevents the majority of breech chops, but does nothing for barrel breaks.

It's pretty ignorant to make a statement like that without knowing what you're talking about.

If you knew why barrel breaks occured, you'd know that Level 10 significantly reduces them. Bolt speed and sharpness of the bolt tip are the major factors in paint breakage and Level 10 addresses both of those issues.

Do your homework first before you make statements like that.

cphilip
04-28-2003, 10:11 AM
Black is right on... (as ussual)

A majority of barrel breaks were directly related to bolt speed striking the "waiting" ball and have been eliminated with level 10. The only thing left now is the odd misshapen one or a poor barrel match. Grossly too tight. Those come down to so few its almost no need to carry a squeegie. I do not.

My kid played yesterday all day with some real cheap paint and had one down the barrel break all day. He was limited to a .688 barrel choice and still shot a case of cheapo proball through it dispite its being too big for that barrel and only had the one break. He did carry a swab yesterday because there was nothing he could do about the barrels as I am in between barrels sets right now and that was the only one he had to use. He shot almost all of that case anyway. He has one pod left over. Pretty impressive I think...

Russ
04-28-2003, 10:34 AM
Reo5th,

It's ignorant to take my post as nothing more than a tongue-in-cheek commentary about how well LX has virtually eliminated ball breakage for me in my 2 'Mags. Nothin' more, nothin' less. Sadly, some folks have missed my intent, which is easy to do over the 'net.

You need to take your Ritalin, chill out, and have a little fun today. :)

A couple years ago, when I first got my E-Mag, I carried a pull-through squeegee, a battle swab, and kept 2 more "Tico rods" (furry shotgun cleaning tool) In my tool kit. I would need them all! the bolt in my E-Mag would often break paint when it struck the paintball. A foamie bolt really helped a lot, but didn't eliminate the problem (and don't even ask about those "SuperBolts :eek: ) My kid would shoot the same paint as me through his 'cocker, and have MAYBE 1 or 2 barrel breaks all day, out of 1-2 cases of paint. I would have way too many breaks.

Level 10 (& a Halo B) has made my gun chop-free, and in all the paint I've put through it, I've had ONE, just ONE barrel break. It was shooting some old & brittle Anarchy paint, while testing in the back yard, and was using a too-small barrel.

hitech
04-28-2003, 11:45 AM
I carry a squeege because it has an AO lanyard and other "team mates" might need one. I did need to use it one when I went from the longest spring to the stock level 7 spring WITHOUT adjusting the velocity. That chopped.

gibby
04-28-2003, 11:49 AM
I must admit, it's nice not having to carry one anymore. However, I do still keep it around...just in case someone else might need it. :)

Hexis
04-28-2003, 01:04 PM
Since I stick to rec games, I still carry it, to help anyone on my team that needs it. Can't remember using it myself since I installed level 10.

Mickster
04-28-2003, 01:12 PM
I still always carry a squeegee even though i havent chopped since i installed my level 10, however i do still get the odd ball break in the barrell due to dodgy paint.

WARPED1
04-28-2003, 01:16 PM
I use my sqeegy these days, to reach those out of hand reach back itches to scratch! Durn that feels good!:p

Reo5th
04-28-2003, 03:19 PM
I stand corrected :) Though you must admit it is still stupid to enter the field without a squeegee...

Riot[Z-Grip]
04-28-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Jonesie

I have one of the Redz Fleece Squeegies. I use it to dry out my barrel after I clean it after a day of play.

I concur. Redz Fleece Squeegee is carried, but rarely used for anything but cleaning my gear at the end of the day. =)

-Riot

Evil Bob
04-28-2003, 03:42 PM
In rec ball, my squeegee gets used all the time helping out a newbie here and there who broke paint in their rental markers. I have yet to use it on any of my markers with lvl 10 installed.

-Evil Bob

Demobilized
04-28-2003, 03:54 PM
I no longer carry a squegee, but only a battle swab to clean out the only from the paint. Maybe i just shoot really cheap paint, but after a 500 rounds game my barrel has paint in it, despite no breaks. Kinda weird but o well

krafty
04-28-2003, 04:28 PM
Squeegies will never be far out of reach for me.

We had some really crappy paint at a tourney I played in this past Saturday. Normally TC Viper Platinum isn't this bad... but even in mid-60's/shade they were swelling up (our Freak users were on the .695 insert) and it was splitting at the seams in the bags, in pods, even in someone's warpfeed. Even with that, I only had one barrel break with my LX Minimag... but I'm really glad I had a squeegie with me.

I always carry one during rec play just in case someone on my team has problems.

Scooter/Cootie
04-28-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by krafty
Squeegies will never be far out of reach for me.

Ditto. I typically carry two types of squeegies when playing, a 14" straightshot and a battleswab.

I havent had to use the straightshot to clean a break for about 1&1/2 seasons now (the battleswab being much faster, besides...how often do you chop w/ a lvl 10? ;) ), but I have had to use it occasionally when I happen to dive and get 3" of dirt stuck in my barrel. :p

But it's nice not having to use 'em at all. :cool:

.bolink
04-28-2003, 08:57 PM
Well I chopped for the first time with LX this weekend. I was completely taken by surprise. "What? This hasn't chopped in over 2 cases...no every other ball!". Get back to the staging area, de-gas, pop out my valve...and out comes my mainspring...in TWO pieces. Somehow my main spring had snapped in half. Luckily the store is about a 20 minute drive (Usually that is:D ) so I barreled down the highway at 90 MPH trying to get to the store and back as fast as possible to get a new spring. Long story short...I got the spring, it worked, all is good.

P.S. - And miraculously I didn't get pulled.

edweird
04-28-2003, 09:15 PM
as a LX user I have used my squeegee on occasion...

to clean the damn AZ dirt and blowing dust out of my barrel!

Also I have attached a hackysack to my squeegee so I can throw it to other people easier when they break paint!