PDA

View Full Version : Old Smart Parts A.I.R Assy

BansheeRacer
04-28-2003, 12:29 AM
Anyone remember the smartparts A.I.R assy that was made in the late 1990's what was that called??? plz help me out

Gadget
04-28-2003, 02:57 AM
Do you mean the magic box?

BansheeRacer
04-28-2003, 10:04 AM
nope it was thea.i.r valve ing green?:confused:

ignatz
04-28-2003, 11:28 AM
I just sold an AGD manufacturered SmartParts A.I.R. Valve that I got with a used Micromag to a guy here... There was no special name (other than SmartMag) on the valve. There are however significant *EDIT* differences *EDIT*... 1> 9 hole mod. 2> High-flow on/off. 3> Supposed to be low pressure version (not sure if this is correct, but its what I was told by PTP)

HTH.

BansheeRacer
04-28-2003, 11:39 AM
damn id like to have one of those

ignatz
04-28-2003, 11:44 AM
Try Newbie215. I traded him for a Classic 1 star valve. The only reason I traded it was because no one knew what the SmartParts mag valve was and since it was pre-star....

I've only ever seen one actual SmartParts Minimag (my valve was a Mini too) and it had the AGD body and rail with a Benchmark trigger frame that has SmartParts printed down the spine.

This guy (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3605283941&category=16048) claims that he is selling a SmartMag, but it doesn't look like one to me... The only other one I've seen on the net was also being sold from Canada.

Jonesie
04-28-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by ignatz
[B]1> 9 hole mod.
Does nothing. The basic design of the valve dictates this. Yuo can have the air flow OUT of the Reg as much (or thru as many holes) as you want, it only has one hole in which to flow into the valve...

[B]
2> High-flow on/off.
Also does nothing. Same principal. The size of the hole from which the air flows from the On/Off to the dump chamber is of onw size. This on/off top that comes from AGD stock is the best one available.

[B]3> Supposed to be low pressure version (not sure if this is correct, but its what I was told by PTP)
Oddly enough, this too does nothing. LP is a product of industry hype. LX is similar in concept, but it actually works. ;)

Sorry if my responses seem kind of harsh, but it is this stuff that leads to MAgs malfunctioning. I wouldn't use anything in/on any of my mags that wasn't made by AGD (save Air Source, Loader and Barrel). The small, internal parts made by other companies don't do anything to boost the Mag's performance, and MANY of them actually hurt it. No one makes stuff to the tolerances AGD does.

Later ~ Dave

ignatz
04-28-2003, 12:11 PM
Jonesie - You missed the point. The valve was manufactured by AGD (says so on the valve) for Smart Parts. It came with the mods and AGD made it that way, so I have to assume they lived up to their same standard of quality.

As for the on/off, I agree I wasn't able to see an improvement.

I'm not sure about the regulator. I understand your point, but empiracial evidence points me in another direction. I setup a Classic mag valve stock with a boo Yaah (I know everyone hates them, but I was experimenting see). I fired the mag over a chrono (red box field type) and noted the falloff rates. I changed the regulator (using the same internals) to the ANS Phase II and fired the same marker over the same chrono and noted LESS fall off in velocity. I was trying to test the ANS Phase II (since I'd read varying reviews) and IMHO it seems to help in falloff when firing very rapidly. The ANS Phase II uses the same concept as the 9 hole mod. By increasing the number of out holes, you decrease the recharge time.

Again, this is an AGD product, and I was only trying to describe it to the best of my ability for someone interested. I personally don't use anything non-AGD in my valves.

BansheeRacer
04-28-2003, 12:24 PM
Thanks to all who replied i just would like to find one of these valves and heard theres subtle diff from the stock reg. thanks ignatz Will e-mail newbie215 today:)

Jonesie
04-28-2003, 12:47 PM
Jonesie - You missed the point. The valve was manufactured by AGD (says so on the valve) for Smart Parts. It came with the mods and AGD made it that way, so I have to assume they lived up to their same standard of quality.

As for the on/off, I agree I wasn't able to see an improvement.

I'm not sure about the regulator. I understand your point, but empiracial evidence points me in another direction. I setup a Classic mag valve stock with a boo Yaah (I know everyone hates them, but I was experimenting see). I fired the mag over a chrono (red box field type) and noted the falloff rates. I changed the regulator (using the same internals) to the ANS Phase II and fired the same marker over the same chrono and noted LESS fall off in velocity. I was trying to test the ANS Phase II (since I'd read varying reviews) and IMHO it seems to help in falloff when firing very rapidly. The ANS Phase II uses the same concept as the 9 hole mod. By increasing the number of out holes, you decrease the recharge time.

Again, this is an AGD product, and I was only trying to describe it to the best of my ability for someone interested. I personally don't use anything non-AGD in my valves.

I think it's something I read that AGD did this with the SmartMags, and nothing else. Any performance gain would be surprising, again based on the design of the Classic Valve. I don't have a classic that I can check out, but I'll take your word for the increase. :)

Dave