PDA

View Full Version : How would a ReTro with electro frame be chrono'ed?

Timmee
04-28-2003, 12:03 PM
I was unsure about if this went into the Paintball Talk forum or here so I guessed. I'm looking to put a ReTro valve into a Micromag body, and install an E-Lcd frame as well. My question is, what should I do to get the correct chrono speed, since I won't be able to hold the sear in? Also, has anyone modified the sear holdoff on an E-Lcd frame to help prevent bolt/sear wear? Any help would be appreciated.

ChucktheMAGician
04-28-2003, 01:43 PM
Good question. I'm interested to see what others say. I would just chrono it a little low 265-270 so when it heats up and gets higher it still won't be over 300. I'm pretty sure Hostage has a Retro on at least one of his boo-yaah mags, PM him if he doesn't find this thread soon!:)

Timmee
05-01-2003, 07:21 AM
Anyone have any info on this?

cgrieves
05-02-2003, 07:52 AM
I would say just fire it. Most e-trigger frames just pulse the solenoid with the same duration every time.

The chrono procedure for a mechanical RT is to produce the maximum possible velocity attainable over the chrono given the different ways you can work the trigger.. basically you are covering your arse. As the e-trigger has only one way of operating the mechanism, firing it normally over the chrono should give you your maximum attainable figure.

OK, theoretically you could possibly gain higher velocities with a higher ROF, so if the chrono is capable, maybe fire a fast string over the chrono just to make sure and take the final reading, but this shouldn't make too much of a difference. If the chrono is only capable of recording the first shot (like some handheld chronys) then that's the chrono judge's problem, not yours :)

Also the RT's chrono inconsistency is magnified when you use higher input pressures, which a lot of players do in order to attain trigger reactivity. Personally with my Hyperframe I tend to lower the input pressure as the reactivity is irrelevant with an e-frame. Also lowering the input pressure gives you a wider usable pressure range and thus more shots from a tank. (The only downside of a lower input pressure is more drop off at higher rates of fire, but it's not something I've ever noticed.)