PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Owners help!

bornl33t
04-29-2003, 07:25 PM
Well it finally happened blew a nickle size hole in the side wall of my front tire. I decited the rest are only about 10,000 miles out so I'm gonna get a whole new set. What I need to know is how BIG of a tire can I fit on stock rims with stock suspension. The tires on it right now P225/75R15 's

it's a 1998 jeep cherokee

CasingBill
04-29-2003, 07:39 PM
I am in the tire business plus I used to own a cherokee. 31x10.50-15LT are too big. They will rub. 30x9.50-15lt are probably as big as you can get. Realistically though probably just a 235/75R15 would be your best bet.

bornl33t
04-29-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by CasingBill
I am in the tire business plus I used to own a cherokee. 31x10.50-15LT are too big. They will rub. 30x9.50-15lt are probably as big as you can get. Realistically though probably just a 235/75R15 would be your best bet.
yup, been reading on the jeep forums.. that's what I found out..... now I just gotta find some by friday :D

LawFox32
04-30-2003, 09:40 AM
Hey CasingBIll, since you are in the tire biz why not help out some poor AOers with finding us some deals on tires; I could use a new set of All Terrains for my jeep.

peace

CasingBill
04-30-2003, 10:09 AM
But.....its not worth paying for the shipping. Deals are to be had out there though. Buying quality tires. Not just going to Sams or Walmart. They sell them cheap but after mounting and balancing it add up. If you want me to get you prices on tires to compare I would be more than happy to do that. My main business is tire recycling. I get awesome used tires for real cheap. Great if you were nearby.

JEDI
04-30-2003, 10:15 AM
In case you're interested, heres the conversion formula from the "p265 thingy" to Inches.

[(tire width in mm X aspect ratio) X 2] + wheel diam

Maybe this is more clear: Example 265/70R17

[(265/25 x 70%)x 2]+ 17 = 31.84 inches

CasingBill
04-30-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by JEDI
In case you're interested, heres the conversion formula from the "p265 thingy" to Inches.

[(tire width in mm X aspect ratio) X 2] + wheel diam

Maybe this is more clear: Example 265/70R17

[(265/25 x 70%)x 2]+ 17 = 31.84 inches

You also a tire guy?

More info. what 265/70R17 means:
tread width is 265mm
sidewall height is 70% of width
rim size is 17

JEDI
04-30-2003, 10:30 AM
If by tire guy you mean, I pour over "Four wheel and Off road magazine", I drool over the site of tire tracks in the woods, and I treat my poor little stock Frontier like a rented mule, than yes, thats me. :D No, I'm not a dealer or anything. I came apon that formula in 4wheel, and taped it to my computer. :D

CasingBill
04-30-2003, 10:35 AM
I also work in north jersey and upstate NY. If you need something let me know. I can also get custom wheels. I can also recommend a local dealer or get you prices if you prefer.

Dayspring
04-30-2003, 11:47 AM
Jedian FYI- you can run up to 32x11.5x15 on your Frontier. anything after that and we have to start lifting. :D

Told you- come hang with my Xterra group. You'll see LOTS of new toys to get. :D

If by tire guy you mean, I pour over "Four wheel and Off road magazine", I drool over the site of tire tracks in the woods, and I treat my poor little stock Frontier like a rented mule, than yes, thats me. :D No, I'm not a dealer or anything. I came apon that formula in 4wheel, and taped it to my computer. :D

JEDI
04-30-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Dayspring
Jedian FYI- you can run up to 32x11.5x15 on your Frontier. anything after that and we have to start lifting. :D

Told you- come hang with my Xterra group. You'll see LOTS of new toys to get. :D

I know you told me that. Its the new toys that scare me.:D Paintball is like a controlling wench that wont let me spend my money on anything else. God forbid I find a new hobby. But actually, the second I do decide to work on my truck, you're the person I'm coming to. Just dont hold your breath waiting. ;) :D
Oh, and 32s will clear?

Python14
04-30-2003, 01:07 PM
Yea, 30" tires are the max, and they will rub even. I have 30" BFG All-terrains in my cherokee right now and they rub in the front withever I turn full lock either direction. When the coils are compressed, like when I hit a speedbump hard, they rub the wheel wells. I'd say get yourself a lift and go 31 or even 32....but don't forget the trac bar

On a side note, I am considering getting some Dana 44 axles from a Grand Wagoneer for my jeep as opposed to going the new Dana direction. They will be longer than the stock jeep axles so my new tires will stick out of the wheel wells(36.5" Mil-spec Hummvee tires). I will save up and buy some coil-over spring/shocks for all four corners and fabricate some steel tube shock towers that will tie in with the rocker guards, and bumpers. Oh yea, and I will have to make some longer front control arms and completely fabricate some rear control arms. It will take a while to do and I will definitely make a few changes here and there but I think it's a good solid plan that should produce a very nice rig that not only has the strength to tackle hard Krawling, it also has the flexability to do it too. And I can still carry all my friends with me.

Oh yea, and are Beadlock wheels worth the investment if most of my offroad duty is mudbogging?

Dayspring
04-30-2003, 02:56 PM
Yup. 32x11.5x15 will clear. Although 32x10.5x15 will clear better.

Question is- do you have Metal or plastic splash guards behind the front wheels? Plastic is better. Metal might be more of an issue. I'll check it out next time I see you.

JEDI
04-30-2003, 03:09 PM
Ok, cool. I'm not sure. I'd have to look. Can you cut it, if it is in fact plastic?

GreasyPigeon
04-30-2003, 06:21 PM
my brother had a jeep cherokee, he was able to fit 32 bfgs on it with his stock rims and later he put 35 mickies thompson (with lift) on his stock rims, if you are planning to do some mudden i would get a set of beadlock, cause you dont what you tire to come off the bead when you run about 15pis for mudden or rocken, and i am not sure of this but i though the jeep cherokee had a dana 44 up front, and in the back, if your plannen to do some mudden and swap out the front axle why not put a dana 60 up there, alot stronger then the 44

Python14
04-30-2003, 06:33 PM
No, for the most part, Cherokees came stock with a Dana 30 in the front and a Dana 35C in the rear. There was a towing package available from like 87 to 90 that had a 44 in the rear and I forgot what was in the front, but it is a rare find.

BTW, How did he fit 32" tires without either cutting the fenders, knocking our the wheel wells, or getting a lift?

Also, as much as I'd like to go D60, I think finding a D60 will be much harder. I might go with a Corp. 14bolt or even a Ford 9-inch rear if I can. The front end is fine for now.

GreasyPigeon
04-30-2003, 06:45 PM
some ford f350 come with a 60 in front, any junk yard will have one, thats who my friend got one for is 69 dodge, my brother just took is fenders flairs off and it was fine, i think i never really payed attetion to it, he said he put the lift on, cause his tires would rub the top of his fender when he went over speed bumps. oh with lift go with a rubican express, best lift you can get for a jeep

Python14
04-30-2003, 06:54 PM
Hmmm...maybe I'll go to the junk yard sometime and see if I can't find one. I will however, never go with Rubicon express. Not that I think they area bad company, because they are great. but because I swear by Rustys and Skyjacker stuff now. When I get coilovers tho, I'm gonna go with Kings because they are easy to install and should work well on it

GreasyPigeon
04-30-2003, 07:36 PM
what size kings are you going to get? 2.5", 3" they are great, no need for coils they come with then, and also a nice price tag on then, my friend has a skyjacker on his dodge and it is nice, it has great flex with his rancho shocks on it. can clear most things other same size lifts can't

Python14
04-30-2003, 08:34 PM
I'll probably go with the 2.5" because my jeep isn't too heavy. Since I will have the coil-overs, I won't need a lift kit, but I will have to fabricate just about everything. Control arm mounts, shock towers, steering components, trac bar, etc

It will be a fun project though and for once my dad is really interested in it.

One question tho, where can I get new driveshafts? I'm going to need them.

GreasyPigeon
04-30-2003, 09:46 PM
my brother had the same problem when he got his lift, cause the driveshaft angle changes when you get a lift, so you need a longer one, he got his from www.rubiconexpress.com well a sugestion to save time with steering components i would go with a hydrolic(sp) streering, just bolt on with easy and weld some mounting bracket on the front axle. just hooks up to your engine, and your axle.

bornl33t
04-30-2003, 11:11 PM
well for everyones info. After readin up on my Jeeps for nearly 4 hours I know EVERYTHING about wheels/tires/lifts. And I'm not kidding I can name about 10 of hte most common tire/rim configs and can install up to a 15" lift without a manual :D

I'm poor though :( though while I was getting some tire, why not get rims, all mounted balanched with free shipping. The tires I wanted were kumho and the rims were T-1 rock crawlers... the rims in set are 200$ the tires another 200$

the lift was a budget boost good for 2" But I need the jeep running this weekend, so I had not change to wait for a week for this stuff to get here and had to buy locally
4 BFG all-terrain t/a's 530$ OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well I didn't need a TV anyway :(

Hopefully I'll be able to sell the rims with the new tires for a good price this winter after I stick a 3" RE or rusty lift on the sucker make it look like a jeep SHOULD! If anyone is interested in some road driven BFG on factory grey five stars LET ME KNOW I might just sell them if I get a good enough bid. I even know a freight Co that will ship them in custom boxes anywhere in the continental US for a good price :) I'll split the cost with the buyer.

The tires I got are as big as they possibly can get without rubbing 30x9.5 r15 they WILL fit any 1998 or newer without issues, older jeeps can use them. but the suspension sag on jeeps will let them rub eventually.

see I got my stuff down, and being a gearhead I got hte tools to install up to a 20" lift on my cute little (YET) jeep.

What I was wondering is if anyone knows where to get a rear tire swingout for a xj withough going through AEV (http://www.aev-conversions.com/)

again if yer in need of tires for a jeep with some of hte COOL factory rims shoot me a PM I might just sell them before winter.

Dayspring
04-30-2003, 11:46 PM
Yes. That's how I fit mine without ANY rubbing. It's a common mod.

Ok, cool. I'm not sure. I'd have to look. Can you cut it, if it is in fact plastic?

GreasyPigeon
04-30-2003, 11:51 PM
rubicon express has a Tomken's swing-out tire carrier and many other jeep goodies

Python14
05-01-2003, 02:31 PM
I know Rustys has a Swing out tire carrier available, but it won't fit anything bigger than 35" tires.

I made a design change btw. Instead of building shock hoops out of Chomemoly and just bolting it to the frame, I will make some stronger(and heavier) towers out of 3/8 steel(Spray Transfer GMAW ofcoarse) and then weld that to the frame rail. It will not only be sturdier, it will be more compact and cheaper. They will probably require holes to be blasted through in my wheel wells.

Oh yea, and about hydraulic steering. While I would love to do that front and rear, I want to keep my jeep street legal. That and I want to keep it pretty much strictly mechanical.

TeamDP001
05-05-2003, 01:04 AM
I'm currently building a 1980 CJ7. wondering if you guys new anyone selling front and rear Dana44s? Hoping to have 4.10 gears but i can always regear it my self. I'll be running 38in tires powered by a built chev 350 so i kinda want to Dana44s.

bornl33t
05-05-2003, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by TeamDP001
I'm currently building a 1980 CJ7. wondering if you guys new anyone selling front and rear Dana44s? Hoping to have 4.10 gears but i can always regear it my self. I'll be running 38in tires powered by a built chev 350 so i kinda want to Dana44s.
this might be a better place to ask...www.jeepforum.com cause I for one really don't know. I'm not at the point of replacing differentials YET :D

TeamDP001
05-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Alright, i greatly thank you for your help.