PDA

View Full Version : how can I make my chances better at tryouts???

SpongeBobSquarePants
04-30-2003, 05:47 AM
Aight, 2 spots have just became open for the local CFOA team (anyone near NC/SC knows what that is) Its rookie 5 man. Tryouts are this sunday, May 3rd. What can I do to give me a better chance at making it? How can I improve my game in the next 4 days?

yeahthatsme
04-30-2003, 06:35 AM
be nice, not TOO talkative but get to know the dudes on the team, play well but also keep a good attitude the whole day.

paintball8869
04-30-2003, 06:45 AM
when you're playing TALK. That's one of the biggest keys. My team doesn't talk enough. One of the guys we just picked up talks more, which is helpful. Still trying to get the rest of the team to talk more. We placed 10th out of 35 teams in NEPL without talking, without walking the fields, without practicing the fields, and with 2 of the 5 players having played with the team on one other occasion. I think we did pretty well, but would have placed much higher, had we talked. You'd be surprised, but just communicating, knowing how many people are left on both teams (and yelling it out for your team), yell when people are moving, getting cover fire from your team when you move, etc. Makes a much better game for your team and the captain(s) will be watching for things like that.

Don't be cocky. That really annoys the hell out of me (although i really am cocky on the field, it's a coverup ;)). You don't want them to get a bad first impression and think that you're cocky. Plus, you'll need to be able to back up that cockiness on the field and you look dumb if you can't. So be humble. Someone says "good job out there" you say "thanks, you too" (and hopefully they didn't get bunkered :)).

Obviously you have to be able to handle yourself in a firefight on the field. But that's really just a given and you can't change that between now and the tryout. Also, don't be concerned about the amount of paint you shoot. If they think you're concerned about wasting money (aka paint), then they'll shy away from you. I've got a back guy who counts bps by the cent :( He'll probably just be rotating in which will be nice this year.

Well, one last thing. GOOD LUCK and remember to have fun out there.

SlipknotX556
04-30-2003, 07:03 AM
Look sexy...

JEDI
04-30-2003, 07:47 AM
Definitely talk it up on the feild. Dont make stupid or confusing calls, but help communication flow. Make an attempt to learn a few guys names, and then give them info. It will help their game play, and in turn you may get a "thank you" hand shake. TALK, but dont be the guy yelling "Where is he??!!". Little attempts to be helpful, or a team player go a long way.

One other thing: Try to ask for their gameplan before each game. Make an obvious attempt to help that plan work. I dont just mean "OK where do you want me to go". Ask for the overall plan, and what they consider key bunkers. What position do you play. Find another guy to directly work with. Back and front guys on the same side of the feild (right/left) MUST MUST MUST work together.
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

lopxtc
04-30-2003, 08:18 AM
Just remember, if all else fails ... start your own team :) makes the try-out allot easier.

Aaron

TigerMan
04-30-2003, 08:36 AM
Well for one, make sure all your stuff works before going. Make sure to take all the stuff you need, and to be ready. Like everyone has said, talk. Also, talk with the guys after games, get to know them if you can. Be fun to be around. Don't argue with anyone. If a bad call is made, just accept it and move on. Also, maybe try to do some impressive moves, or do something they wouldn't expect. Bunker people. They want to see that you will do it. And this is something I'd suggest, but some may not think to do it. Most likely that team is going to be wearing jersies. I'd say don't wear a jersey (if you were planning to). Because if they see a jersey on you, they'll have this sort of expectation, or stereotype (that you'll be good). See they won't expect much out of you if you don't wear a jersey and you can make a better impression, but that is just my theory.

NCpaintballer
04-30-2003, 10:09 AM
What team are you trying out for? Our team is thinking of going to the next CFOA. Two of our store teams are playing in it now, hopefully our team will be there soon too!

Dayspring
04-30-2003, 11:06 AM
Just cuz you wear the stuff doesn't mean you got game. I find that theory foolish all around.

As for improving your chances? I'd say that you're going to play as well as you're going to play. You only improve with practice, so no matter what people may say, you'll play at the level you are at. No quick fixes. No miracles.

Just go out and play hard. Don't think of it as a try out. Go out there and have fun. You'll play more loose and be more relaxed.

Originally posted by TigerMan
Well for one, make sure all your stuff works before going. Make sure to take all the stuff you need, and to be ready. Like everyone has said, talk. Also, talk with the guys after games, get to know them if you can. Be fun to be around. Don't argue with anyone. If a bad call is made, just accept it and move on. Also, maybe try to do some impressive moves, or do something they wouldn't expect. Bunker people. They want to see that you will do it. And this is something I'd suggest, but some may not think to do it. Most likely that team is going to be wearing jersies. I'd say don't wear a jersey (if you were planning to). Because if they see a jersey on you, they'll have this sort of expectation, or stereotype (that you'll be good). See they won't expect much out of you if you don't wear a jersey and you can make a better impression, but that is just my theory.

Jonesie
04-30-2003, 12:15 PM
What a coincidence... I was contacted last week about 'trying out' with a MSPA (GA, AL, TN, KY) team out of Atlanta. At least I think it's a tryout. I was told they need a front guy... so I assumed... you know what happens when you assume? ;)

Anyway, make sure your stuff works. Be polite, don't be an ***. TALK and try to play as well as you can. Not really much more you can do.

I have taken the extra measure of drinking LOTS of water this week. Down here in Atlanta, it's been about 80 all week, and that should continue into the weekend. I started fighting dehydration ahead of time... :)

Godd Luck, Bud!

Dave

LawFox32
04-30-2003, 12:34 PM
sabatoge!!!!!!

TigerMan
04-30-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Dayspring
Just cuz you wear the stuff doesn't mean you got game. I find that theory foolish all around.

As for improving your chances? I'd say that you're going to play as well as you're going to play. You only improve with practice, so no matter what people may say, you'll play at the level you are at. No quick fixes. No miracles.

Just go out and play hard. Don't think of it as a try out. Go out there and have fun. You'll play more loose and be more relaxed.

Ehh it's just my theory. You'd be suprise how much it's true. I see kids all the time decked out in jersey and wear and they stink terribly. Then there are always the few who don't dress a certain way, and they're pretty good. It's just something I've noticed sometimes while I've played. Not saying it's the "Almighty" guidelines or that it goes for everyone.

Dayspring
04-30-2003, 01:19 PM
Here's what I have to say about that...

eric
04-30-2003, 02:22 PM
What are they looking for?
If they want a frontman, get up there and see that you can bunker people a lot. Don't let people get ahead of you on the feild, move up past them.

If there looking for a back guy, shoot lots of paint and yell your head off. Turning a 2or a 3 on 1 at a tryout can REALLY help.

FeelTheRT
04-30-2003, 03:45 PM
there's nothing you can do in 4 days except mentally prepare. You rock, you are like lightning, you ARE Ryan Greenspan (or any other front player you look up to). Skill wise, theres nothing you can do to improve. Bust most of it is the mental factor. If you are thinking you can do it, then there will be a chance you can get on. If you have doubts, then you wont.

People look for quickness and aggressivness in a front player. Keep yourself alive and bunker people when you have a chance. Do NOT hessitate. If you think you have an opportunity to make a move, go for it, most likely your primary instincts are correct. And of course you should talk on the field as well. If you hvae any questions, go ahead and shoot.

MinimagRockin'
04-30-2003, 05:34 PM
If I was trying out for a team I would try to remain relaxed and play like I always do, don't try to be superman just because it's a tryout and you want to look awesome. Also be aggressive, even if you get shot out you will look like you have some balls which is a plus.

SpongeBobSquarePants
04-30-2003, 06:21 PM
Thanks guys this really helps alot. I'm trying out for a back positon. When I'm playing rec I feel like I'm the only one that talks so that may help my chances. Thanks for all the input guys.

NCPaintballer-I'm trying out for the Midknights.

cannedheat
04-30-2003, 07:54 PM
A guy from midknights asked me to try out too, but I have to work all the time:(

TNS2k2
04-30-2003, 08:59 PM
well, you can always add some good old Ex-Lax to the other competitors pepsi or something. or maybe make them a power shake, special ingredient turbolax....:D

nah, I would just say, communicate. If you are doing plenty of that, and watching angles, that is the best way to win. oh and look pretty out there. not in the dressing way, but the way you shoot and stuff. just kidding. :p

Rynoboy06
05-01-2003, 08:12 AM
Skills, mental/physical preparation are all very necessary, but the first thing I do is tell the captain

"I have enough money; I can pay to attend every practice you hold, my share of every entry fee, every case of paint I am responsible for. Money will not obstruct my game. I have a working vehicle and will not accept vehicular / transportational failure as an excuse good enough for missing any team event (tournament or otherwise). Transportation will not obstuct my game. I have the time to make the events you ask of me, given reasonable lead-time, and I will never look for an excuse to miss any event; be assured that lacking something of overriding importance (IE a funeral, major medical emergencies, etc) I will be there, with all of my equipment, in shape, and eager to play. I hold myself to a high standard and want my teammates to feel the same way. I will give my absolute best to you and this team."

Of course, this needs to be true, if not, edit for what parts of it you can actually say. Then demonstrate a positive attitude, learn, remember, and use people's names, and get psyched up to play better and more intensely then you ever have before. Believe in yourself, your equipment (if you can't, get new stuff NOW) and play at 100%. Don't get intimidated or stop trying, no matter what. If you do all of this and don't get picked, you never had a chance. Try out for another team, until you get one, a serious one, one you can either move up with, or one that will get you enough experience that you can then use to start playing with an even higher level team. Good luck and play hard.

oneshot
05-01-2003, 10:13 AM
talk it up on the field, and be yourself