PDA

View Full Version : bolt question

ShowTime
05-02-2003, 06:34 AM
hey i was just wondering why woulndt agd make a bolt out of derlin, or mybe plastic of some kind like the angel or timmy etc?? ii mean i know stainless steal or aluminum are better quality i think, but wouldnt the derlin give u a fast cycle sense its lighter??? just wondering...

edweird
05-02-2003, 06:39 AM
Im no expert but a non metal bolt slamming around in there has a better chance of fracturing at the aft lip...

if this happens you will have a spiffy derlin shotgun slug screaming at whatever poor soul that is unfortuante to be in front of your marker.

imho agd bolts need to and will always be metal... and btw isnt 25 bps cyclic rate fast enough?

Load SM5
05-02-2003, 07:11 AM
They tried a hybrid delrin/steel bolt and the stress proved too great for the delrin sleeves. The new LX bolts are light enough. I barely notice a kick.

magman007
05-02-2003, 08:28 AM
we did have one, and it was a pretty big failure. Something in the manufacturing royaly got screwed up, and none of em worked right. Then, some dumb kid made up a story about the bolt breaking, and failing in a different way, and made it sound all dangerous, and actually put tom into a full recal.

Also, the delrin bolts, would be much harder to righ with lvl 10, because they are that much lighter than the ss versions.

Without level 10, yes, they could theoretically cycle faster, because the bolt mooved a hella lot faster than the old lvl 7 bolt. This actually broke more balls, because of the insanely high bolt speed

Russ
05-02-2003, 09:23 AM
i was just wondering why woulndt agd make a bolt out of derlin Here's why (Oh and by the way it's DELRIN!)

xadamx
05-02-2003, 11:02 AM
it would suck big time to get whacked by that thing

NJPaint
05-02-2003, 11:29 AM
Dunno about you guys, but with the lvl 10, the kick is almost not noticeable...

BTAutoMag
05-02-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by xadamx
it would suck big time to get whacked by that thing
someone said he was but it turned out he was lieing. but you that would suck

Cristobal
05-02-2003, 04:47 PM
Picking a good bolt material isn't just about light weight -- its more like strength per weight.

The beauty of the lvl 10 bolt although its stainless steel, is that b/c its steel you don't need much material for it to be very resistent to wear -- hence it weighs almost nothing. I don't remember the comparison, but iirc it compares favorably with cyclic bolts for other markers that use much more of lighter materials (and don't travel at the same bolt speeds). The stock mag bolt is heavy simply because there's a lot of steel on there that isn't really necessary for its structural strength.

rehme
05-02-2003, 04:56 PM
the LX is just a bit heavier than the derlin bolt and is stronger and dont have to worry about it breaking like the derlin did

Russ
05-02-2003, 05:53 PM
DELRIN!

:)

Grasshopper
05-02-2003, 08:25 PM
I'm confused on how exactly does the Level X bolt work? How does it stop from chopping so well? Could someone enlighten me?

Russ
05-02-2003, 08:35 PM
@ Grasshopper,

read and learn...LX Info (http://www.automags.org/resource/level10/index.shtml)