PDA

View Full Version : Questions botu cockers

FreakBaller12
05-02-2003, 02:04 PM
hey i am lookign into buying a vertical feed 2k3 cocker. ihave bin lookign up on them. i know they r very complex and need alot of tunign to shoot well. i am just wodnerign before i buy it. what am i lookignb at adjustign and what does the adjustment do. i do not know that much in paitnball although i am def. not a newb. i jsut need to learn mroe bout the guns thanx fro ur help

BTAutoMag
05-02-2003, 02:14 PM
if i were you i'd do a couple searches through this site and maybe google about cocker timing. you could also jump over to www.air-powered.com or www.autococker.org and ask

Rancid Milk
05-02-2003, 02:21 PM
http://www.moodypaintball.com/vantrepes/pages/timing.htm
http://www.paintballravi.com/Articles/AutocockerInfosheet/ACTroub.html
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/8216/cocktime.htm

those are a couple of places that you could find out how to time it.

Also, they aren't really as much work as everyone says they are. I had one for a while and it was pretty low maintenance as long as it is taken care of.

EDIT--- Let me be the first to welcome you to AO as well .:D

JEDI
05-02-2003, 02:25 PM
Ok, cockers have lots of external parts that make them seem complicated. Really theres not much more to them then your average paintgun. (Has a ram, Low pressure reg, hammer, valve, 3 way valve Etc.) They do need to be timed properly to work, as far as tuning goes. Any descent shop can do this for you. Its a one time process as long as you dont change anything on the gun.

There is two steps to a cocker firing. One: A burst of air fires the ball, and two: the recocking/loading of the bolt. Timing, means that the shot goes off at the right time, followed directly by the recocking, all within one trigger pull. Correct timing means a perfect shot goes off with out any blow back.
A new cocker should come timed already. These guns are very reliable, and rarely even need to be readjusted for chronoing. My cocker has been at 265 for like the past 10 months. They may seem intimidating, and you might here crazy bad things about them, but anyone who knows, will tell you they are very good paintguns. Once you get used to it, you'll love it. Very mechanically sound markers.

BTAutoMag
05-02-2003, 02:27 PM
well then let me be the 2nd to welcome you. boys break out the wooden paddle we have an AO cherry:)

PolishSausage
05-02-2003, 02:32 PM
When you get your new Cocker pick up some Reading Rabbit software to go with it, I'm sure your spelling and typing will improve vastly

lopxtc
05-02-2003, 03:08 PM
I tell ya ... the next time someone asks what is it like to be stoned, I am going to have them toyotaboy12's post ...

Oh god I think I hurt myself reading it ...

But in an attempt to help you I will say that the paintball ravi post from Rancid Mile will help you with understanding timing ... but in the long run I would recommend that you find a store that is willing to teach you. The best way to learn timing is to sit with someone and have them assist you while you do the work.

Aaron

FreakBaller12
05-02-2003, 05:37 PM
hey srry bout the typing i pretty damn bad but thanx for the help u guyz, i hear so much stuff bout cockers beign complicated i just wnated to know what i wuz getting into

Rancid Milk
05-02-2003, 05:56 PM
no problem, but slow down in your typing and read over it PLEASE :) just type in normal english, not the slang if that's what's getting you messed up :rolleyes:

Cockers are only as complicated as you make them.

davidb
05-02-2003, 07:30 PM
I installed my own hinge and timed my own Cocker, having never dealt with one before. Worked beautifully. If you use the sources that were already posted, you should be fine. If not, you can always take it to a shop.

Actually, since you're getting the 2K3, you won't have to worry about installing a hinge frame or timing it. But if you do get it, make sure that you use those sources anyway so you know the workings of the gun, what does what, etc. That way if anything ever starts to slip you'll know what needs adjusting instead of having to bug somebody or pay a tech.

And just let me (a Cocker owner who has yet to own a Mag!) be the first to say it: Look into the Mag before you make any decision. :D I will not tell you they're better, I will not tell you what you should buy. But I will tell you one thing - my Cocker will be replaced by an AGD product before too long.

FreakBaller12
05-02-2003, 07:36 PM
yea but will it be too complicated for a 14 year odl i can udnerstand directions and i am pretty good with mechanics so i should do alright age don't matter it's skillz that do so i guess i am in the clear

Ov3rmind
05-02-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by toyotaboy12
yea but will it be too complicated for a 14 year odl i can udnerstand directions and i am pretty good with mechanics so i should do alright age don't matter it's skillz that do so i guess i am in the clear Just read the links they posted. I bought my Cocker when I was 15, and I could time that thing exactly how I wanted and could troubleshoot the thing with no problem. Just put some time into learning it, and it's actually a very comfortable gun to own.

xadamx
05-02-2003, 08:58 PM
there is a little button right below your L key! it makes a little dot called a period! it looks like this ---> .

please throw a coupke of them in your writing. i know spelling(especially that "ing" thing)can be hard but at least use a period or two so we can read what you're saying

anyway: cockers are good guns taht dont need much work if you leave them alone... if you mess with them can can be hell

FeelTheRT
05-02-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by toyotaboy12
ihave bin lookign up on them. i know they r very complex and need alot of tunign to shoot well.
Naw they aren't. If you know how a Spyder works and what a solenoid is, that's all there is too it. The pnumatics is basicly a machanical solenoid activated by your trigger pull.