PDA

View Full Version : LX Buffer Problems

Russ
05-02-2003, 11:48 PM
Since installing LX in both my E-Mag, and more recently my R/T Classic, I have had terrible buffer wear. To better illustrate my point, I put a BRAND NEW clear R/T buffer in my Classic R/T mag, and fired off about 2500psi worth of shots (600-700?)

Maybe I should use the blue bumpers? I'm worried about premature wear of the bolt/valve. i'm also worried about shredded bumper residue choking up the LX bolt. At $2 a pop, I'm just throwing money away on the R/T bumpers :(

EDIT: I'm using the middle spring in both guns, shooting 280/290fps. Both guns have the same accellerated wear.

Here's what the buffer looks like...

redlaser666
05-02-2003, 11:55 PM
I had the same problem, the blue bumper will last longer since it's a bit harder. Ive been using the blue one for about 3 cases of paint and it's still in good shape.
Hope that helps,
Raul A. Lugo

Potatoboy
05-02-2003, 11:59 PM
It's a known issue.

The best solution is to stop dry firing, this will cause more wear on the bumber as it will be returning with more force after the shot that it would if it were firing a ball.

If this doesn't help, you may want to step down a spring leve, or modify your long spring to be a little shorter than the medium spring.

You could also run a blue bumper, and while that will save the bumber replacement, it *may* cause premature sear/bolt wear.

Russ
05-03-2003, 12:14 AM
It's a known issue. I'm aware of it. I have read many posts about it. There seems to be no "official" concensus about a permanent fix. I'd like to get something from Tom or other AGD reps about it.

I've also read that AGD is working on a substitute buffer material...but that's just a rumor.

And, I really don't see how dry-firing will increase wear to the buffer, the bolt cycles back & forth, ball in breech or not. That just doesn't make any sense to me :confused:

Potatoboy
05-03-2003, 12:17 AM
Without a ball, the entire air chamber is drained since there is nothing to restrict the flow. Since there is no pressure in the chamber pushing it forward, the bolt spring pushes back with more force.

BlackVCG
05-03-2003, 02:35 AM
I put a light coat of grease on the back side of the bumper and then stick it to the valve. This keeps the bumper from "bouncing" around and getting the wear that it does.

I use to get the wear ring in the middle, but this eliminated that problem.

Russ
05-03-2003, 10:54 AM
Thanks, BlackVCG

I'll give that a try, & report back with my findings.