PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Radio?

AcemanPB
05-03-2003, 11:31 AM
A friend of mine got a new car and has a XM satellite radio factory installed in it. It's pretty cool, you get around 100 channels and they all have some decent music (unlike my local radio stations). I did a little bit of reasearch and the hardware cost around 160-200 dollars and there is a monthly fee of 9 bucks.

I am seriously thinking about getting one for my car but all of the kits i've seen require you to run the radio through your tape deck, and thats something I really don't want to do. I was just wondering what everyone elses opinions were on these things and if you have one, how did you set yours up?

Grasshopper
05-03-2003, 11:39 AM
I don't have one, but they sound awsome. So many times you'll be driving around, and the only radio station you can pick up is some old chick singing about cows or something. How good is the reception on those things?

AcemanPB
05-03-2003, 11:58 AM
On my friends car it's CD quality, reception is really good.

magking1971
05-03-2003, 01:28 PM
I have one and I'll tell you it is the BEST thing I have ever gotten for a car.
People I know whine about the $10 a month fee but I just tell them that is cheaper then getting a CD a month.
What I have is XM radio and I got the Skyfi system made by Delphi, for my car I use the tape deck adapter because I just have the stock deck in my car, Delphi makes a adapter for people with a CD only deck and what it is is a small FM transmitter and you just dial your radio to the right station and it will receve the signal from the XM unit.
I also have the boombox for at home, all you have to do is take the faceplate out of your car and slip it in the boombox and your good to go.
Hope I could help and anymore ?? I will be glad to try and help:)

fire1811
05-03-2003, 01:46 PM
does anyone of know if any of the 100 channels has
Bob and Tom in the morning????

AcemanPB
05-03-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by magking1971
I have one and I'll tell you it is the BEST thing I have ever gotten for a car.
People I know whine about the $10 a month fee but I just tell them that is cheaper then getting a CD a month.
What I have is XM radio and I got the Skyfi system made by Delphi, for my car I use the tape deck adapter because I just have the stock deck in my car, Delphi makes a adapter for people with a CD only deck and what it is is a small FM transmitter and you just dial your radio to the right station and it will receve the signal from the XM unit.
I also have the boombox for at home, all you have to do is take the faceplate out of your car and slip it in the boombox and your good to go.
Hope I could help and anymore ?? I will be glad to try and help:)

Is there anyway not to use the tape deck? And if you do how is the sound quality?

Could I take one and get it professionaly installed (maybe replace my tape deck with a satalite radio?)

fire1811
05-03-2003, 04:22 PM
i know the Best Buy store around here installs them
free if you buy it there.
and i do believe there is a external one

cheetah256
05-04-2003, 11:20 AM
i was looking at them at best buy, and i'm fairly sure they make decks that you can plug it directly into.

magking1971
05-04-2003, 11:31 AM
They do make a deck that has AM FM and XM but you need a converter box in you trunk (or wherever) but is very spendy.
AcemanPB reread my post:D
Like they said, take a trip to Best Buy and look around and ask ALOT of questions and you will come up with what will work the best for you.
The reason I got the Skyfi system is that I can change it from my car,truck or boat with very little hassle, plus if you get the boombox too, is if you go to the lake or camping with friends and you dont drive and your in a remote place you will have tunes when no one else does, you will be the camp HERO!!:D

AcemanPB
05-04-2003, 06:22 PM
What if I put two different satillite radios in two different cars. Would I need to pay the monthly fee twice?
(my dad wants to get one for his truck too)

I'll probably go to best buy to and see about getting one installed because I really don't like the tape deck idea and I couldn't see me using it outside my car much.