PDA

View Full Version : loc-tite question

rkjunior303
05-03-2003, 03:43 PM
hey guys, i've been reading through the back threads and haven't been able to find an answer so i figured i would post - i'm sure it's been asked many times though.

the general consensus is when using loc-tite on fittings/hoses/etc is to use 545. When you do, how much do you apply? From what I gathered, 2 drops on the first 2-3 threads should be sufficient, wiping on the excess once you tighten down the fitting. Is this correct?

Thanks!

ChucktheMAGician
05-03-2003, 03:50 PM
That's about what I would do. Apply enough to fill the first 2-3 threads and wipe the excess off. I have switched to telfon tape now tho. It's easier to use and clean off if you have to change fittings later.:)

rkjunior303
05-03-2003, 04:21 PM
well, i'm gonna loc-tite the threads on the permanent stuff but usually always keep teflon tape just in case.. you never know.. this is the first time i've had to touch any hose fittings on my 'mag so i haven't needed it until now.. thanks for the info!

greenkill
05-03-2003, 04:22 PM
I use loctite on stuff that I need to stay in place, like my ram, and my 4 way, my valve retainer nut on my autococker. Stuff that I know that I may have to take off later on such as hosing and stuff, I use teflon tape.

billybob_81067
05-04-2003, 02:34 AM
I never could find any Loc-tite 545 around this area so I just use the Loc-tite high strength red threadlocker... works like a charm! :D