PDA

View Full Version : smart part freak set?

FreakBaller12
05-04-2003, 07:04 PM
ok..here's my question. i am looking into a barrel for my cocker i am going to get very soon. What is exactly up with the set? You get a freak back to mathc ur threads, in this case a autococker thread. Then you buy the bore size you need and then a freak front to get the desired length can u straighten this otu for me?

NJPaint
05-04-2003, 07:17 PM
Freak sets are what are called multi-bore barrels. There are others like it that are prefered, but I'll use the Freak as an example.

There are three components of a freak barrel

#1 The back
#2 The front
#3 The insert

you need at least 1 of each of these to use the barrel. The freak system is designed so that no matter what kind of paint you are using you will always have the right size barrel. The inserts adjust the width of the barrel and the front guides it the rest of the way. The freak backs come in different forms for virtually all markers. In your case, you need an autococker back. If you want bare bones you can pick up one of each of those for about $100. The full set including one back and front and all 8 inserts (you can shoot all paint perfectly) costs about $200. Visit http://www.smartparts.com/spfreak.htm for more info and ordering info.

Digits
05-04-2003, 07:17 PM
You buy the whole kit..

Which comes with a front and back piece.. And then like 9 inserts or something.. These inserts each have a different bore size, and then you look at the bore size of the paint you using, match that bore size with the bore size of an insert and insert it into the back piece. Then your ready to fire away..

BTW, I have a friend who might be selling a freak kit for a cocker.. PM me if your interested.

elpimpo
05-04-2003, 07:48 PM
8 inserts to be exact

cris8762
05-04-2003, 08:07 PM
i'd recommend a Evil Pipe system instead, it shoots cleaner quicker after a barrel break or chop

Jerhew
05-04-2003, 08:17 PM
there is also the j&j edge barrel kit, the cp barrel kit...
and probably about 10 others that i can't think of right now
do a search for barrel kits on this forum...i know there is atleast one good thread with links to manufacturers websites and whatnot

BajaBoy
05-04-2003, 08:20 PM
i think for a cocker the freak is the best.. its all around good looking and cheap for what u get (all the sizes). Just keep the inserts in the case.

u will here they bend/crease ect. really easy, well i have to say your pretty stupid to leave them out and laying around

mine has been great, just i think i have to send my red insert in bc its always broke paint synce i got it (but it was with blaze and in the winter so it might be fine)

Jerhew
05-04-2003, 11:07 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58844&highlight=barrel+kits

here
go to this thread
half way down the first page there is a list of just about all of your choices...
check 'em all out and decide for yourself

for me i think im gonna go with either the j&j edge, evil pipe, or cp barrel kit

i'd rather have backs than inserts...
that's just me though

FreakBaller12
05-05-2003, 03:41 PM
iight i am goign with the freak msot def. i see the j&j it's alright, but i have heard only good about the freak so i am def. going with that and so wait the bore size insert goes inside the back piece?:confused:

BajaBoy
05-05-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by toyotaboy12
iight i am goign with the freak msot def. i see the j&j it's alright, but i have heard only good about the freak so i am def. going with that and so wait the bore size insert goes inside the back piece?:confused:
yup they slide in the back

Jerhew
05-05-2003, 11:26 PM
ok since you haven't heard anything bad...
i've heard that once you get a break in the freak it's over... you have to break it down basically to get it cleaned...
also i've heard that the back's are easy to crush if you step on it or something...of course i'd take that with a grain of salt...
if someone steps on your barrel, that's your fault

im going with the cp myself...
i don't care how excellent you think your paint is...
it's going to vary in size to the point where 8 inserts is overkill...
4 is plenty...
and like i said id rather have backs than inserts...
definitely more durable
and it shoots through breaks like nobody's business :)

but hey
to each their own

darklord
05-05-2003, 11:28 PM
Can anyone say, scepter???? Come on, where's the love for Powerlyte? IMO it exceeds the Freak ten-fold. But yes if you want a freak, and get the complete kit, it comes with a back, tip, and all 8 inserts, and the padded case.

Jerhew
05-05-2003, 11:37 PM
yeah
like i said
i examined all the options and the cp seems to be most attractive to me
i do like the scepter better than the freak personally
but again
inserts yuck :p
i'd rather spend a little more and get backs

Digits
05-06-2003, 08:50 AM
Ya, my friend complains about his freak when he gets a barrel break.. Hehe.. Thats why where making a water pod ;)

Evil Bob
05-06-2003, 02:06 PM
Read this before you buy your freak:

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76912

It will show you what types of activies to avoid when owning a Freak.

-Evil Bob

Dayspring
05-06-2003, 02:14 PM
I run a Scepter on my Xmag and it'll be the only barrel ever on it. Many of the guys on the PBX teams run Scepter kits as well.

IMO, they are the best designed kit out there so far. The Scepter doesn't have orings that can wear and tear inside like the Freak can. They are self aligning and lock in the barrel w/o any sort of problems.

http://www.paintballistix.com/new-scepter.shtml

You can get them here or through the Tunaman for a good price. (Hit up Tunaman first though. :D)