PDA

View Full Version : Should I drop paintball for a car?

~WarpedRT#2~
05-04-2003, 11:04 PM
I'm wondering which I should invest my money and time into. The car would mean dropping paintball, or just leaving it for a long while.

Pics below of the car, or the gun i want. E-Mag of course

~WarpedRT#2~
05-04-2003, 11:10 PM
The car would be an 85' Toyota Sprinter GT-S hatchback. like this one.

~WarpedRT#2~
05-04-2003, 11:12 PM
And of course, this beauty. Actually, I could get those both for about the same. That car is really inexpensive,(aftermarket parts will cost alot) just having a hard time finding one near me.

Rmarks
05-04-2003, 11:14 PM
there is NO way I would drop paintball for a car that is 18 years old. I don't care if it's rare or there if this is the last in existance.

ubooze
05-04-2003, 11:15 PM
Even though I hate asian cars, but that one isn't THAT bad, and I do love pball..... GET THE CAR!

If you have one, then there is no need for another. But, don't waste your life on pball. Get a car, and get out more often :)

Skoad
05-04-2003, 11:19 PM
here ya go

car=transportation=job=money=paintball

thats my equation for the summer.

Russ
05-04-2003, 11:22 PM
Buying that car, and putting money into it is not an "investment" (well, I guess you could call it a bad investment)

~WarpedRT#2~
05-04-2003, 11:35 PM
Actually, people strive to get this car. They modify it to race it. Very big in Japan. It kills Nissan Skylines and RX-7 FDs on downhill races (hows that for a car with 150 hp). It's for drift racing, and since it's so inexpensive (for a car) I'm trying to locate one.

spacedtedybear
05-04-2003, 11:44 PM
If you're gonna turn it into a 'rice rocket' and race it for more money, the I say " more power to you".

Mossman
05-04-2003, 11:52 PM
Get the car and a 150 dollar classic mag and play whenever the cash is available. If you don't have your heart set on playing paintball period there's no need for a thousand dollar gun. Get a mag you can toss under your bed for 6 months, bust it out on your birthday and play with your birthday money :)

~WarpedRT#2~
05-04-2003, 11:54 PM
It's so funny, the car has barely 150 hp, and has a SOHC, and NO TURBO, and still beats all these high priced cars. Well, see, I'll be moving out soon, and even if I get another job, I'll still have to pay for the place I'll be staying, the car + upgrades, not to mention gas, and tires, tires, tires, as well as pay off college loans, food, utilities, blah blah blah. I dont think I could really afford paintball. And besides, I'd be having fun with the car, and have no time for pb. I'm still working it out.

Rmarks
05-04-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by ~WarpedRT#2~
Actually, people strive to get this car. They modify it to race it. Very big in Japan. It kills Nissan Skylines and RX-7 FDs on downhill races (hows that for a car with 150 hp). It's for drift racing, and since it's so inexpensive (for a car) I'm trying to locate one.

and which 2 or those 3 cars look good? the car you showed a picture of looks like a brick. The FD and Skyline look HOT and have performance to back up the looks(and also have the ability to be modded out the butt). You're telling me a 150hp car beats the FD(255hp stock) and the Skyline(I think 300ish stock) through the corners? Considering the FD with the R1/R2 package hits almost 1g(.98g to be exact) on the skid pad and absolutely tore up the auto crossing circuit untill the Corvette Z06(that's a total of 9 years) was released, I have a really hard time believing your statement.

~WarpedRT#2~
05-05-2003, 12:37 AM
No, it's true. Download the video on kazaa of the two AE86s racing the Skyline (called "Skyline vs. 2 corollas). They toy with it the whole time, and then they pass it in the last lap like it's nothing. And get some Option drifing videos as well. Horse power is worthless in a course full of turns. You never use the power, and if you try to push it too hard, you just spin out. Drifting is very difficult, and an overpowered car is worthless. Also, I don't care what it looks, like, actually the corolla has grown on me, and I love the way it looks.

Edit: and it's a GT-R they race as well.

Ghengis
05-05-2003, 12:45 AM
It sounds like you've already made up your mind on which you wanted.

Good luck to ya!

Mossman
05-05-2003, 01:00 AM
lol, you could buy a bunch of emags with all the money you'll have to poor into that car before it passes a half broken down skyline running on olive oil :)

Rmarks
05-05-2003, 01:01 AM
No, it's true. Download the video on kazaa of the two AE86s racing the Skyline (called "Skyline vs. 2 corollas). They toy with it the whole time, and then they pass it in the last lap like it's nothing. And get some Option drifing videos as well. Horse power is worthless in a course full of turns. You never use the power, and if you try to push it too hard, you just spin out. Drifting is very difficult, and an overpowered car is worthless. Also, I don't care what it looks, like, actually the corolla has grown on me, and I love the way it looks.

Edit: and it's a GT-R they race as well.

ok, and against the FD? I've seen them drifting along side the Silvias and all the other crap out there. put the FD against the Corolla on a road course(stock for stock) and I'll put money on the RX7 EVERYTIME(as long as it's running properly).

Edit: I don't think you have a grasp of how much money it would take for a AE86 to "toy with" an R34 Skyline.

~WarpedRT#2~
05-05-2003, 01:13 AM
Well, if an 86 can beat a skyline that grip driving, I think it can beat an RX-7 thats drift driving. ANd if the FD is so much better, then why dont you see more drift videos of them, instead of the Corolla? And why didn't Keiichi Tsuchiya use an RX-7?

Edit: It would sure cost a whole lot less that a Skyline would, but then again, thats not what I'm out to do anyway. You must think I'm out to go competition racing or something. Also, I'm talking about drift driving here, where all the corners are hairpins, and almost no straightaways. Like I said, over-powered cars are at a disadvantage. After being exposed to so much drift driving, I've lost almost all respect for drag racing, and super powered cars.

FooTemps
05-05-2003, 01:24 AM
Ugh, warpedrt...

Let me guess, you watched Initial D right? It is possible for people to beat skylines and FDs. But, you know what? You can't. Not without breaking strut arms, bending rims, and damaging your chasis several times. Just because you have an 86 doesn't mean that you're a god at drifting. I've seen my share of morons try to drift and damage their cars. I've heard some nasty stories too. If you get the 86, learn how to grip at a sanctioned track before you try any of the drifting stuff... Even after you go through a car in spare parts you won't be the drift king like Keiichi Tsukiya(spelling? or is that even the right guy?) is.

Also, in the 2 86 vs skyline... Did you notice they weren't drifting? Yeah, they weren't drifting. THEY WEREN'T DRIFTING. And, they were trying too, not their best but they were still trying.

Really, get your head out of the clouds. You're way out of your league if you want to race with an unmodded 86. I mean, the only competitive people are the ones that either drop in a 4agze, or a 4ag-20v.

Edit: Also, have you heard about the 100,000 dollar trueno? That is probably the best one in Japan at the moment. TRD group A tourning engine, stiffened chasis, completely redone suspention, etc.

Rmarks
05-05-2003, 01:26 AM
Well, if an 86 can beat a skyline that grip driving, I think it can beat an RX-7 thats drift driving. ANd if the FD is so much better, then why dont you see more drift videos of them, instead of the Corolla? And why didn't Keiichi Tsuchiya use an RX-7?

Maybe he drove it because he was a poor bum who couldn't afford a nicer car? For that matter, I don't car what the "drift king" drives or what he doesn't drive. At the end of the day I'd rather be driving that R34 or FD. I'm giving you the hard facts. Stock vs stock, The Corolla WOULD lose against an FD in a road course or autocross event.

Edit: It would sure cost a whole lot less that a Skyline would, but then again, thats not what I'm out to do anyway. You must think I'm out to go competition racing or something.

Yeah, I think you are out to go competition racing because you keep comparing that AE86 to two higher end models.

FooTemps
05-05-2003, 01:28 AM
BTW: Keiichi has used plenty of rx7s in his career fyi

~WarpedRT#2~
05-05-2003, 01:30 AM
Well, Footemps, get your head out of your @$$, and pay attention to what I'm saying, I never said I wanted to drive in any sort of competition, did I? Just for fun. And if they werent trying to drift, then the Corollas won anyway, right? Proves my point even better. Also, I was exposed to drifting long before I saw Initial D,(good series) so I'm not "all about it" simply because of it.

No, I'm comparing them simply because they have been compared before, and guess who won? All I wanted to know was, do you think It's a good investment to get into, and drop paintball for a while? Thats it.

also, FooTemps: Really, get your head out of the clouds. You're way out of your league if you want to race with an unmodded 86. I mean, the only competitive people are the ones that either drop in a 4agze, or a 4ag-20v.

Didn't I say I was going to get aftermarket parts? Maybe you should read some of the other posts before replying so hastily.

FooTemps
05-05-2003, 01:36 AM
I don't buy it... These days, no one who wants an 86 wants to use it for the pure intention of everyday driver. You say you won't do it but most everyone does one time or another. I've seen plenty for 86's lose too.

Also, I'm a trueno enthusiust and I'm planning on getting one to screw around with sometime in the my life so don't take it as I'm hating on the car or anything. And about the driving for fun, is that at the track or autocross? or are you talkin about on the street with your buddies?

~WarpedRT#2~
05-05-2003, 01:42 AM
I'm talking mountain roads. I live on a mountain that has some very steep windy turns. Thats what I want to drive on, but mostly my friends, yeah some bets here and there, but nothing serious. And of course I want all the mods I can get, hence the dropping paintball. I just wont have enough money for both. Plus I'm working on getting a turbo in my neon. two cars is alot of money, so I have to drop a few things.

Yeah, you've seen them lose before, but it comes down to driver skill. If you have some ya-hoo behind the wheel as compared to a very skilled driver, who do you think is going to win? I learned about the 86 through my friends, and I liked it alot, to my surprise, I found out there was an animated series about it, and that was cool, but I'm not one of those stupid little kids who goes out and buys one simply because the cartoon told me to, and then lose races, and makes them look bad.

Also, It's still one of the best cars to use even though it's over 17 years old. Thats something thats hard to ignore.

Xen
05-05-2003, 07:07 AM
looks like someone played a little too much gran turismo 3

if you got that car i can see it ending up looking something like this....

http://www.anti-rice.com/rice010/IMG_0071.jpg

Rancid Milk
05-05-2003, 09:03 AM
LMAO!:rolleyes: You should just get a bike, it’ll save you a bunch of money

~WarpedRT#2~
05-05-2003, 10:11 AM
Once again, two people who don't understand the capabilities of the car. And if I was going to get a bike, I'd get the best out there, a Harley. Softail Night Train, Fat Boy, or a V-Rod.

Skeletar
05-05-2003, 10:53 AM
I personally love that anti-rice photo.

Cyberious
05-05-2003, 11:07 AM
Call Me Tonight!!!!!!!I'm leaving for Denmark on Thursday so don't wait. Better yet I'll call you tonight we really need to talk.

Bob01RT
05-05-2003, 01:41 PM
By a geo metro and drop a v8 in it. You'll be set and a lot cheaper too..

Seriously you won't be drifting in the thing even on the road, you'll pour way to much money and realise you don't want to damage it. Also I haven't seen the video but I bet more skylines have beaten 86's then 86's beaten skylines.

I know quite a bit about cars, I've got a 01 Stratus R/T with haltech 13:1 compression, kaaz lsd, and a 6pack throttle body. I love modding out my car, and it's possible to do both, however you won't be able to mod out the car like you want and still have a daily driver. What will you do when it's in the garage doing a motor swap? (And if you dead set on modding it you will eventually take a big step that will put it off the road for a while.) The answer is get a beater, then find one of these cars.

I agree with Mossman buy a cheaper gun, because it doesn't sound like your ready to set aside the time and effort to drop that kind of money on paintball.

Halliday
05-05-2003, 03:49 PM
What the heck? Racing cars? Where, on the street? Watch a little too much "Fast & Furious?" Are you plannig on racing this car for money?

Sure, get a car buy, why "trick" it out? Drive it to to a job and make money.

There is a fellow Ref at the field with that same mentality. He tries to play paintball and he tries to race some Eagle Talon. In reality he does neither.

Kids today

:rolleyes:

Gadget
05-05-2003, 04:10 PM
if I was going to get a bike, I'd get the best out there, a Harley. Softail Night Train, Fat Boy, or a V-Rod.

Or maybe even a proper bike that can actually corner like a Yamaha R1 ;)

Seriously though, what is 'drifting'? Never heard of it before.

p.s - On the whole 'what to do' thing, I vote for..... PIE! :D

FeuerFri
05-05-2003, 04:13 PM
dude, if you got a neon why waste time with something else? neons are badasses if you know what the hell your doing, goto www.neons.org
maybe get it looking almost as good as this guys.

ReTroMagBoy
05-05-2003, 09:30 PM
dude every single one of those cars SUCK. omfg stick with paintball doods!

~WarpedRT#2~
05-05-2003, 11:04 PM
FeuerFri, I know that neons can be really really fast cars, thats why I'm going to put a turbo in it (hopefully).

Halliday, realize that the Fast and The Furious is a dumb movie, and I'm talking about drift driving here, not quarter mile drag racing. I've also got friends who actually do race cars, and one in particular is a Talon. Very fast cars actually.

Bob01RT, I realize that alot of people would think I'm crazy to go off racing in a car I've poured tons of money into and not want to wreck it. But I do have another car. Thanks for the advice though. Believe me, I've spent my fair share of money of pb, but I don't really see the point.

Gadget, like I said, if I wanted a real bike. If I would buy a motor cycle, I'd get it so I could enjoy the ride, not to go fast. Drifing is going around a corner, without slowing down, and sliding the car sideways to get around it. It works by shifting the weight of the car. Also, I've talked to alot of people about the 1000 cc series of bikes, and you cant go around corners as fast as a 600cc bike, because of the power, you would spin out, so you have to baby it through turns. Ask anyone who uses a 1000 cc bike.

Xen, I've never played any Gran Turismo games, but since you said that, go to a car forum where they talk about mods, and tell them they play too many video games. Cars have been around for a whole lot longer than video games, so maybe it's the other way around? I think the game designers like cars too much.

~WarpedRT#2~
05-05-2003, 11:19 PM
Sorry Cyberious, I wasnt home all night. I had school, then work and the other, you know. Just drop me an e-mail cuz I probably wont be home again tomorrow (tuesday)night either.

Drop me a line at Grayson_k_g2@hotmail.com

Something important??

FooTemps
05-05-2003, 11:23 PM
You should just drift it stock before you mod it out.

Personally, I'd use it for a rally car if I ever bought an 86.

BajaBoy
05-06-2003, 03:42 PM
WarpedRT, i didnt read everything but your poste.. where do u plan on finding a red emag?

yurchikcs
05-06-2003, 06:33 PM
I dropped paintball a few years ago to get into cars, I went through quite a few. They include a '92 Acura Integra (daily driver, totaled), '86 Honda Accord (bought cheap, fixed, and sold for profit), '80 Mazda RX-7 (never ran for me, it was a project), '87 Honda Civic (excellent autocross car, light chassis), and now I drive an '88 Mazda RX-7 GXL. I'm about to move on to an '86 RX-7 Sport so I can have money for a TurboII swap. I still screw around with my mag, I'm trying to play a little this summer.

The AE86 is a great car, but it will not even come close to beating an FD RX-7 in ANYTHING. Sorry to burst your bubble, the the AE86 is in the same class as the 84-85 GSL-SE (FB RX-7) and the 86-88 non-Turbos (FC RX-7).

The kicker is, you need a car to get around. You do not need a paintball gun for anything other then play time. If you want to keep playing P-ball, keep the car nice and stock and run some stock class autocrosses once in a while. If you want to have fun, mod that little 4AG engine and chassis to no end, and have some serious good times. If you like to tinker on paintball guns, you're going to wet yourself when you start tinkering on cars.

Finally, drift racing is a show technique that takes a lot of skill. Buying an 86 will not magically make you Fujiwara Takumi.

More info on all generations and series of RX-7: http://www.rx7club.com

~WarpedRT#2~
05-06-2003, 08:21 PM
yurchikcs, I'm tired of arguing about race times, if it can beat a skyline, it sure as hell can beat an RX-7. They have almost the same amount of power, and yet the Skyline has all wheel drive. Better all around. And I never said it would give me magical powers of any sort, obviously, you didn't read anything I posted, if you had, you would know I'm not out to competition race. I just want everyone to know this:

I'm not out to race for money, just for fun. Such a skill takes alot of practice to learn, but everyone starts somewhere. People who act like you yurchikcs are the type of people who would go into a kindergarten class and make fun of the kids because they cant read as well as you. Duh, everyone starts somewhere. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the 86 is a great place to start, isnt it? Whats so wrong with me wanting to get into this??

BajaBoy, I wont ever find a red one, but I am getting an E-Mag as a gift (decided I should go for it;)) from a friend. E-Mag #33, Carl Bonta Special, one of only two in the world.

Foo, interesting ideas, we should talk more about this.

by the way, any one know of a place I can get the game Battle field 1942 for almost no $$$?? I'm trying to get it off Kazaa, but no luck. And that is a nice neon up there, but it really needs a wing on the back. Just for looks, but if I get another neon, it will be the SRT-4. Aftermarket turbos cost alot.

no1beefcake
05-06-2003, 09:20 PM
If you already have a car, and you're going to be pressed for cash, stick with paintball. The initial investment may be the same, but you'll end up sinking WAY more money into the car than you would paintball. Although it sounds as if you have your mind made up, I recommend you sticking with paintball.

IcantBelieveit
05-06-2003, 09:21 PM
a buddy of mine races a Neon R/T and a Mini Type S, and both are bad. if you are getting out of paintball for a car, please get a real car.

and heres the thing, anything that is sent over here, is nothing like what is in Japan. And i find it laughable that you base all of your information off of a video you downloaded off of Kazza. YOu need to actually, find some real specs my friend.

~WarpedRT#2~
05-07-2003, 12:03 AM
Get a real car? What isnt real about a neon? The Haun Racecraft neon is fasts as balls, try to tell me that isnt a real car. Like said above, WHEN YOU KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOUR DOING. Besides, I know things over here are toned down a whole lot compared to stuff in Japan, and I find it laughable that you think I do base everything off of one video.

There is always someone who sees the proof, but just turns their head, and continues with their arguement. It's right there, do you need a coloring book of the race? 2 86s just trashed a Skyline, and like Foo pointed out, they werent even using what they are most famous for. Also, what kind of racing did you think I was talking about? Drag racing?

I base my posts on actual events, and races. There is a reason why the 86 is such a popular car, but you must be SO smart, you didn't even notice that, right? A car thats almost 20 years out of date can still be made to compete with very high-end cars, try to dismiss that.

And don't make fun of my car.

Rmarks
05-07-2003, 12:41 AM
Get a real car? What isnt real about a neon? The Haun Racecraft neon is fasts as balls, try to tell me that isnt a real car. Like said above, WHEN YOU KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOUR DOING. Besides, I know things over here are toned down a whole lot compared to stuff in Japan, and I find it laughable that you think I do base everything off of one video.

There is always someone who sees the proof, but just turns their head, and continues with their arguement. It's right there, do you need a coloring book of the race? 2 86s just trashed a Skyline, and like Foo pointed out, they werent even using what they are most famous for. Also, what kind of racing did you think I was talking about? Drag racing?

Great, 2 cars beat a more expensive car on video. I've seen a Civic beat a Viper in person at a 1/4 mile track, does that mean all Civics are faster than Vipers? It doesn't really matter, at the end of the day he has a Viper and the other guy has a Civic. Which car is going to get more attention at the end of the day? Some kid in a riced out Civic or a Viper? It doesn't matter if the guy sunk $50k into that Honda. How much do you think they sunk into that Haun car to make it "balls fast"? Ford tried to make their Focus compete with a Corvette. By the time they finally got it in the ball park of the Corvette it was a $250k Focus.

I base my posts on actual events, and races. There is a reason why the 86 is such a popular car, but you must be SO smart, you didn't even notice that, right? A car thats almost 20 years out of date can still be made to compete with very high-end cars, try to dismiss that.

And don't make fun of my car.

You asked for the opinions of this forum, you got them and you come back with insults. And for the last time: A BONE STOCK 86 TRUENO COUPE WILL NOT COMPETE WITH A BONE STOCK 3RD GEN RX7 OR R34 GTR. You are going to have to sink a good chunk of money into that Trueno in order to compete with those cars, and I'd still rather have the other two cars since they look a hell of a lot better. The guys that raced in that video WERE NOT STOCK. Obviosuly the paintball forum "knows nothing" about these cars; go look at car forums for those opinions :rolleyes:. I'm done with this thread since YOU have no idea what you're talking about and can't take any type of criticism.

You need to grow up.

~WarpedRT#2~
05-07-2003, 09:43 PM
And you nerver read any other posts than the first one, you need to learn to read. I said "aftermarket parts cost alot" but you didnt see that did you? But you also didnt see that I never said ANYWHERE that a stock one could beat those cars did I? I said that they can be made to compete with them. Pease read the posts before you go and start yacking.