PDA

View Full Version : small and large paintballs

litestab
05-05-2003, 10:32 AM
anyone know what the pros and cons of using small or large paintballs, besides bigger balls go farther... etc

twiitch
05-05-2003, 10:45 AM
bigger balls dont go farther, all paintballs will go the same distance asuming same velocity and same barrell (flatline for tippmann goes farther but doesnt work on anything but tippmann)

there really is no advantage, its all paint to barrell match, the closer the size of the ball to teh bore of the barrell the better the accurcy, therefore if im using large paint im going to use a larger bore size on my freak, to fit it better and get better accuracy

Paintchucker
05-05-2003, 11:32 AM
As already mentioned, the big ones don't go further. If anything, because the are bigger, they would go less far because they weigh a little more. Or atleast they would take more gas to push them as far as the small ones.

Actually, we are talking differences of 1000ths of an inch, so there is probably only a tiny difference that only physics majors would be interested in.

Only real advantage is that 2000 balls of small paint takes up less room than 2000 balls of big paint? LOL...

Since most barrels are .689, having a paint that is .689 would be the best. If it is off size, then to get good accuracy, you need a barrel to match.

litestab
05-05-2003, 01:35 PM
i'm getting a lapco autospirit ( very small bore ) anyone know of good paint matches?

Paintchucker
05-05-2003, 02:05 PM
Marbelizers are a good fit. I got one of these barrels for playing a local field that has these. Works great!

Do a google search on "paint to barrel match", and you can probably find a couple others...

deathstalker
05-05-2003, 02:30 PM
Heavier paintballs will travel farther than lighter ones. Statistically speaking though, the differences are insignificant (Physics majors aren't the only ones who care ;)).

I have found Advantage-shelled Marbs to be a better match for my BigShot than AutoSpirit. Advantage-shelled PMI Premiums fit my AutoSpirit better. Also, be wary of paint/bore match charts on the 'net. Many of them are old and were made before the Advantage shell was available.

litestab
05-05-2003, 03:26 PM
what is the advantage shell? so what paint for the autospirit? i know it's very small like .687 or something, someone told me 32° team colors work someone else said blaze something...

battlegroup
05-05-2003, 03:39 PM
Heavier paintballs will theoretically go farther. If both a heavy and lite ball are shot at 300fps. The heavier ball, having more mass, will travel slightly farther because the air friction will affect it slightly less causing it to maintain a little more speed. It will still fly for the same amount of time due to gravity but in that time it goes a few feet farther. will you notice the difference.....probably not!

litestab
05-05-2003, 04:32 PM
thanks battlegroup, now someone please tell me what the advantage shell is? and good paint match for an autospirit?

crankydan
05-06-2003, 05:33 PM
The advantage shell is the new technology that RPS is using. It has a dry texture vs the slick wet texture. They also have a better seam(so they say, perfectly round).

litestab
05-06-2003, 07:41 PM
oh, so the balls aren't glossy like those other ones... i forget the name.