PDA

View Full Version : Help build Tyger's Automag

Tyger
05-06-2003, 06:09 PM
Ok, ok... I can hear the jaws hitting the floor and the screams of "WHAT!?!?!?!?" already. But, hear me out.

I've been looking at 'Mags for a while now. And, well, stuff has happened and the planets are aligning up nicely now, and I'm looking, seriously, at an Automag to call my very own.

Now consider that as an airsmith, I'm a darn good writer. Also I play pump mostly, but I do shoot a semi. Mostly my Autococker and Stroker (translation, a trigger that you "MASH" and not 'feather') So, I'm turning to the AO faithful here for help. I'm looking for advice on what to get, or look to get. I'm thinking of going one of a few directions.

Direction 1 : Over the top. X-Mag, warp feed, the works. Go flat out, top rail, "if it's good enough for Shatner it's good enough for me" kind of thing. Get a "tiger" style anno job on it if such a thing exists. Possibly engraved wiht something "tiger" like. Warp feeds are cool, but I know full well that I'm not a "speed shooter", so I'd never push the limits of the beast. It's like owning a jeep while living in a city.

Direction 2 : Make a "sleeper". Start with a powerfeed "Classic" mag in the silver color. Then put all the fun stuff inside. L 10 bolt kit, an X-Valve on the back, but an "old" looking body to throw people off. Heck, take a barrel and sctatch up the black finish so it looks beaten up more. I'm into this, but I'm thinking of looking for a really "Modern" approach to impress people on the "bling bling" level.

Or, get a pump mag. I've got a pump kit here. Somewhere. Really. I mean it.

Or should I go a totally diffrent direction? I'm looking for opinions here, becasue you guys know more about 'Mags. It's not my specalty. Ask me about Sheridan pumps or Nelsons, I'm there. But about Automags, I've always liked the elegance and the simplicity of design in a 'Mag. I've always lke the clean line, even on the mini-mag design, so I'm finally taking the opportunity when it comes to me.

Well, that and no external knobs, the bolt doesn't fly into your face when you're shooting (don't ask how many times my 'Cocker clocked me in the facemask...), a lighter trigger pull and the one time years ago at Sam's when Dan Prusak loaned me his 'Mag to play in Nic, it's been a long time coming.

So, umm, anyone got ideas to what kind of 'Mag I should look at?

-Tyger

PS : It's MAY, NOT April 1....

Johnny_Reb
05-06-2003, 06:21 PM
Hmmmmm..... well if I were in your shoes I might start off with direction two, a classic mag with mods.Xmags arent coming out for awhile so unless your willing to wait I would probaly bypass it. You also might decide you dont like mags and then youve just waited a couple of months and spent a ton of money on it for nothing. I really dont see the need for a pump on a mag, if your into pumps i might just get a phantom or use one of your pumps you mentioned above. Another option might be to get an rt pro. They come with I-frames now and from what I hear, X valves. Still this is something I would think about for awhile, if its possible try shooting them all. Hope this helps:)

magman007
05-06-2003, 06:29 PM
Tyger, i think you would have more fun doing the sleeper idea....

I mean, hell, you dont even ned the sleeper idea, but you could build a mag from total scratch, then with a ule body, or a Milled aluminum body of your chilce, have the whoel thing annoed to your liking, and im sure that XPB can do a tiger anno for you.

THe sleeper idea you said you like, and i think you should do what you like.

But, the custom mag, made by you, the way you want it, then annoed the way you want it, would be damn sexay as well.

The x-mag, well thats just fun, but there isnt any fun with it besides playing, no custom building the marker etc.

so i say, sleeper, or custom mag

gibby
05-06-2003, 06:41 PM
Hrm...the essentials for mags are definitely compressed air and the level 10. Adding the Xvalve(which comes with the level 10) would definitely increase your rate of fire and reduce shootdown. It will also balance the gun because it won't be so back heavy.

The feel of the intelliframe also enhances your rate of fire and gives you the added bonus of intellifeeding into your warp or hopper.

For mechanical mags, I really like the Omega rail, however, these are hard to come by nowadays because they stopped making them. But rumors have it they might start making them again? The omega rail not only looks sharp, it's also milled out so the weight is reduced.

Body style is entirely up to you(powerfeed, warped, mini, classic, micro, etc.). The ULE body is also a nice touch if you already own cockers and would like to use your favorite barrel on your new mag because the body is cocker threaded. It's also lightens the overall weight of your gun. I saw Bonx's ULE and I was convinced that's what I want.

Like you said, the simplicity of the mag goes a long way. Easy to maintain and with the right upgrades, it can hang with a lot of the other guns out there.

The warpfeed is more of a preference. For some, they can't live without it because of the functionality that comes with it...others, it's just not their style because it could be too bulky.

Whatever you decide upon, have fun! Putting a mag together can be quite fun! :)

Rynoboy06
05-06-2003, 07:42 PM
Tunamag! That'll get you all the upgrades (ULE, xvalve, milled rail, etc) in a prebuilt package and save you money. Search around and you'll find several threads on tunamags.

Tyger
05-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Rynoboy06
Tunamag! That'll get you all the upgrades (ULE, xvalve, milled rail, etc) in a prebuilt package and save you money. Search around and you'll find several threads on tunamags.

I just get this "vision" of a fish on a grip frame for some reason...

**shiver**

Umm, us the ULE body that much cooler than the standard frame? I'm assuming that the rest of the 'bits' are drop in's with the new body, right? Yeah, I sound like a "newb", but, ya know, I'd rather know now than get the wrong thing...

-Tyger

Grasshopper
05-06-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Tyger

I just get this "vision" of a fish on a grip frame for some reason...

**shiver**

Umm, us the ULE body that much cooler than the standard frame? I'm assuming that the rest of the 'bits' are drop in's with the new body, right? Yeah, I sound like a "newb", but, ya know, I'd rather know now than get the wrong thing...

-Tyger
I don't have a ULE body, but I've held a friends 'Mag that had one on it. Let me tell you, they make the things ALOT lighter, give you 'Cocker threads, and vert feed. I'm still kind of confused as to what you are looking at doing with this gun. Maybe you could dumb it down a notch, so I can figured out what you need to get for what your doing.

Tyger
05-07-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Grasshopper

I'm still kind of confused as to what you are looking at doing with this gun. Maybe you could dumb it down a notch, so I can figured out what you need to get for what your doing.

Umm... Ok. Not dumbing it down, as much as an explanation.

I'm looking to play paintball with it. Rec, scenario, tournament, big games, and everything between.

I'm looking for a rump-kicking gun. I'm looking for something I can longball a guy across the field and make him ask "Where in the hell did that come from?" I want a light paintball gun I can lug around at the Sam's big game for 2 hours on my shoulder while stalking through the brush wihtout really bugging my wrist. I want a paintgun I can take into an airball field and OWN a lane of fire. I want a paintball gun that I can take crawling 100 feet through the worst Wisconsin vines and overgrowth, come up shooting hard to clear a protected bunker, and bring a flag back. I want a paintgun I can take to "Wrath of Tom" and go from castles to woods without skipping a beat.

I want a paintgun that will work with consistency, that's easy to maintain, easy to adjust pre game and holds a velocity all day. I want a paintball gun that works in any given setting, scenario, or opportunity I get to play paintball. I want a paintball gun with flexibility and versatility.

Basically, a Mag. It's all what flavor after that.

-Tyger

Gadget
05-07-2003, 02:50 AM
Hey Tyger, nice to see you following the path to true enlightenment :D (btw I post over on the p8ntballer forums as 'Skaffen').

I went down the DIY mag route recently and built this:

http://www.chimpy.com/pics/pball/xmag1.JPG

Polished hopper-left emag body, polished black blade intelliframe, X-Valve, Omega body rail. I love it, but I've also just been seduced by the siren call of an electro and I'm getting this bling-bling baby ;)

http://tunaman.teamblackcell.com/emag02.jpg

Marchborne
05-07-2003, 07:52 AM
Well, I really do think it's time for "When Tyger met Tuna." (Aren't cats supposed to like the stuff?)

What folks are getting at there is that Tunaman seems to be able to get his hands on every automag part/toy known to humanity. PM or email him for ideas on the best setup for you is the idea.

Hmm, you shoot a Phantom normally... try the ULE body (very light, and threaded for cocker barrels and angel feednecks for flexibility), and either use an Omega rail (also light, but very hard to find) or use a stock rail, and have RogueFactor or someone else mill it out. Xvalve is a must, as Gibby said. If you still shoot single trigger, you're kinda SOL, except for the stock single-trigger, (Dye and Powerlyte also make singles, but I have no idea how well they work). If you want to go double-trigger, intelliframe is obligatory. Add your favored foregrip and go.

IMHO.
(PS: I shoot two phantoms, a ULE'd, intelli'd RT-valve 'Mag, and an XMag, for what it's worth)

Direction 1 : Over the top. X-Mag, warp feed, the works. Go flat out, top rail, "if it's good enough for Shatner it's good enough for me" kind of thing. Get a "tiger" style anno job on it if such a thing exists. Possibly engraved wiht something "tiger" like. Warp feeds are cool, but I know full well that I'm not a "speed shooter", so I'd never push the limits of the beast. It's like owning a jeep while living in a city.

Direction 2 : Make a "sleeper". Start with a powerfeed "Classic" mag in the silver color. Then put all the fun stuff inside. L 10 bolt kit, an X-Valve on the back, but an "old" looking body to throw people off. Heck, take a barrel and sctatch up the black finish so it looks beaten up more. I'm into this, but I'm thinking of looking for a really "Modern" approach to impress people on the "bling bling" level. ...

Hexis
05-07-2003, 08:33 AM
A stealth mag would be cool. Start with a used Automag or Minimag with bead blasted body and single trigger. Make sure it's beat up a bit. Add some sort of smallish HPA tank, but pass it through an old expansion chamber, so at first glance it would look like CO2. Put an XValve in there, but wait till you can get them in colors, so you can have a clear/pweter one that will look like a classic valve at first glance also. Just for effect put the coil of braded stainless air hose between the Vert ASA and Valve.

ShooterJM
05-07-2003, 11:11 AM
Wow....tyger's thinking about a mag! Guess I better go buy a pump again to keep the universe in balance....

I like the xvalved sleeper idea. Also, keep in mind if you get a sluggo or a ULE body you'll be able to use all your cocker barrels. No need to invest in a twistlock collection!

MarkM
05-07-2003, 12:02 PM
Tyger, slightly off topic but whatever happened to that sleeper 'cocker you were building?

WARPED1
05-07-2003, 12:26 PM
Buy a nice micro e-mag. You won't be sorry!

Tyger
05-07-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by MarkM
Tyger, slightly off topic but whatever happened to that sleeper 'cocker you were building?

Well, that was a thought expirenment. I'm kinda stuck on getting the '93 'ccoker body play around with.

I'm really getting into the idea of a sleeper mag. I'm also thinkng that one of those "Ule"bodies may be fun, so I can use my old cocker barrels with it. Then again, I just got a freak kit for my Phantom (don't ask, you don't wanna know...) so I know I can use the old 'mag style barrels too. Come to think of it, Stalker's got some SP barrels...

Think I can DIY a sleeper mag, I think. Yeah, that'd be pretty cool. Put a flatline air on it... Wonder if there's any more of that RT "Hardline" laying around. HArdline is old school, and old school is cool. :)

-Tyger

Hexis
05-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Doc Nickle say as some point he should have an adaptor to use Cocker barrels on a Twistlock mag body. That would allow for a very old school look, while giving you the compatibility.

Psycho Chicken
05-07-2003, 03:17 PM
Or you could do something totaly different. A pump z-body mag, Like the one shown. This one was made by ken at K&P custom.

nerobro
05-07-2003, 04:19 PM
If you want to do everything. Pumpmag, the cool aluminum body, cocker barrels, superlight, reactive trigger....

Get a Classic rail/pumpmag rail. An inteliframe, preferably with a groove trigger versus blade. X valve so you get the RT trigger, and you can show off that LX. And a ULE body. so you get the aluminum body and can still use a pumpkit.

That'll leave the most options open to you, and let you show off the most of what AGD can do. Though, keep in mind, pumpkit+LX may be a funny situation.

And if you chose the right colors, could be anything from mild (all black) to really flashy (fades, red, yellow...)

MarkM
05-07-2003, 07:50 PM

Well, that was a thought expirenment. I'm kinda stuck on getting the '93 'ccoker body play around with.-Tyger

Ok but the ideas that got thrown at you regarding the 'cocker made a lot of sense, to do a sleeper mag is a contradiction in terms because as as soon as you replace parts externally it becomes a "custom" mag and as such WILL attract attention. BTW If you come across a Venom highline I have some one searching for one of those.

booyah
05-07-2003, 10:18 PM

I'm looking for a rump-kicking gun. I'm looking for something I can longball a guy across the field and make him ask "Where in the hell did that come from?" I want a light paintball gun I can lug around at the Sam's big game for 2 hours on my shoulder while stalking through the brush wihtout really bugging my wrist.
Might i suggest two things at this point...
1. a ULE body is a nice thing
2. Avoid the warp. I love mine, but light is not a trait associated with a warpfed mag

I want a paintgun I can take into an airball field and OWN a lane of fire.
Now we are on to somethign I know well... X valve, and inteliframe are your friends here :-)

I want a paintball gun that I can take crawling 100 feet through the worst Wisconsin vines and overgrowth, come up shooting hard to clear a protected bunker, and bring a flag back.
look into an older body by this, your going to want somethign that wont get scratched (your poor pretty ULE body and all)

I want a paintgun I can take to "Wrath of Tom" and go from castles to woods without skipping a beat.
Basically, a Mag. It's all what flavor after that.
-Tyger
might i suggest my approach?
a mag kit.

warp body, pump cablable body, ule body, two rails (pump and one set for ule body), pump kit, level 7 classic valve, level 10 valve (or x valve), inteliframe, and stock trigger frame.
add some accessories and you have it all.

at any point I can build a mag to do what i want for that day off the same basic design...

example-
Stock Class mag
SC feed attachement, pump body, 12gram quick change, level 7 classic valve, single trigger frame, pump kit, pump rail, and Edge barrel kit
SC legal pump gun in a mag :-)

Speedball mag
warp body, warp feed, inteliframe, level 10 valve, edge barrel kit, 68 45 raptor tank
small speedball gun that does whatever i ask of it on airball feilds, very little profile, and incredibly easy to play tight with.

rec play mag or mag light
ULE body, cocker edge kit, inteliframe, 68 45 raptor tank, level 10 valve
light paintball gun i can lug around all day and never get tired from...

why have one when you can have them all with a few extra parts :-) once you get used to it, mags are so simple its easy to build one once you get to the feild

-Booyah

circus5
05-08-2003, 09:05 AM
i know theres at least one or two tyger striped mags in existence already, saw pics floating around somewhere long ago, and it came up on ebay a few times.

Tyger
05-09-2003, 01:14 AM
Are there such things as un-annoed "ULE" bodies? Just had a thought, there's an annodiser inthe area here... Total custom mag body. :)

-Tyger

nerobro
05-09-2003, 01:20 AM
Yes, yes there are.