PDA

View Full Version : how much does lumber cost...

gimp
05-06-2003, 09:13 PM
Well I need to get some lumber to make myself a new tv stand. I don't know how much it's gonna cost me though, so I figured I'd ask here. I'm planning on getting Pine. I need 2 10'x8"x5/4" and 2 12'x8"x1" pieces. Anyone know approximatly how much this will cost?

Thanks

FactsOfLife
05-06-2003, 09:52 PM
less than 40 bucks last time I looked at the prices at the local yard.

lumber's a commodity so it does go up and down a bit.

Collegeboy
05-06-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by gimp
Well I need to get some lumber to make myself a new tv stand. I don't know how much it's gonna cost me though, so I figured I'd ask here. I'm planning on getting Pine. I need 2 10'x8"x5/4" and 2 12'x8"x1" pieces. Anyone know approximatly how much this will cost?

Thanks

The best bet would probably be yellow pine number 6. It is the standard shelving lumber most people use.

Now they sell it in 12' lengths that would run you about 15 dollars a sheet. So I would guess right about 45 without the nails, putty, or whatever else you would like to do.

But the sheets might have gone up some since I last looked.

Are going to just do a 12’ by 5’ box, or are you going to do 12’ (actually closer to 12 1/2) high, 2’ across, 5 shelves.

gimp
05-07-2003, 10:02 PM
Well, It's gonna be about 5' high, 3' wide, and a 1.5' deep with a total of 4 shelves. A shelve being any piece that goes across. I need to build it because I got a new stereo system, and the center channel speaker barely fits on the front of my tv, so I'm gonna put it on top. You were dead on, it cost almost exactly 45 bucks. Thanks!