PDA

View Full Version : Mitutoyo Series 500 Digital Calipers any good?

cphilip
05-09-2003, 09:15 AM
I not sure where this one should go but I just ordered one of these and was wondering if anyone had one and knew how good they are. Seem like nice ones to me... Guess I should have asked first before ordering one huh? :( :D Guess I looking for validation here more than anything. I did not order the ones with the SPC output but the standard model 0-6" ones for Paintball marker use.

Mitutoyo Series 500 Digital Calipers

Discription: Unlike many models requiring involved setup, these Digital Calipers with Absolute Linear Encoder allow accurate measurement with a simple flick of the power switch. In addition, zero-setting the display can be done at any slider position to allow simple and fast comparison measurement. Caliper features a readout with 0.295" high LCD digits so that measurements can be read at a glance. This caliper features a scale contamination detection function to detect contamination of surfaces and prevent erroneous errors as a result. Long-lasting battery of up to 3.5 years of continous use on a single cell. Models #54-872 and #54-873 are standard digital calipers, while Models #54-870 and #54-871 feature an SPC output to facilitate integration with a larger digital measurement system and can be used to measure external, internal, and depth dimensions. Accuracy within ±0.001".

askman
05-09-2003, 09:31 AM
mitutoyo calipers and micrometers are excellent. I consider them one of the best in the market right alongside starrett. I have a pair of caliper and 1" micrometer (digital) and I have used them for 7 years, and still works great. There are so many cheap stuff out there now from china, whose quality is questionable, i tend to stick with name brand like Mitutoyo or starrett when I need precision measurement tools..

cphilip
05-09-2003, 09:42 AM
THANKS! This is good news! I am a bit relieved. I thought I had heard this name a few times before in reference to good ones. You think I should get one of those smaller 1 inch ones for measuring on off pins or do you think this ones abilility will be good enough for those?

BlackVCG
05-09-2003, 10:01 AM
The 0-6" ones are pretty standard and it's the same size I use. I have OLD Craftsman ones that were back from before Craftsman turned into cheap china/taiwan stuff. Like with the majority of things, you get what you pay for. I'm sure you put out about $80-100 for these calipers and that's what you should expect to pay for a good pair. Starett and Brown and Sharpe are also very good brands.

Army
05-09-2003, 10:07 AM
Phil, I've used Mit's since 1983 when they first came out with their digital model. Before that, I used Starretts and wasn't ever 100% sure of the reading.

I also have digital Mit micrometers and depth gauges. The Army keeps wanting me to use the dial calipers in the tool kits........I laugh.

cphilip
05-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by BlackVCG
...$80-100 for these calipers and that's what you should expect to pay for a good pair.

Gulp... it was $130 but... I didn't realy shop around too much so not sure if I couldn't have beaten that. Probably could have but I just needed em fast.

Mook564
05-09-2003, 10:17 AM
YES, they are great tools. I use them myself at my job. I am a metal fabrricator by trade. They are top quality, right up there with Starrett and Brown & Sharp. I have the same caliper you ordered and love it. The SPC output on the caliper is a waist of money unless you need to log your measurements due to a Mill Spec standard on it, or is required by ISO procedures. Also,if you are thinking of ordering a 1" micrometer ask yourself this first. Do I really need to measure to .00005 of an inch on a paintball marker :confused: :D You never know, And yes they are that accurate. I am sure you will love it.Plus for $130 you got a good price

cphilip
05-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Mook564
...Also,if you are thinking of ordering a 1" micrometer ask yourself this first. Do I really need to measure to .00005 of an inch on a paintball marker :confused: :D You never know, And yes they are that accurate. I am sure you will love it.Plus for $130 you got a good price

Well my initial answer was no. If I was measuring On Off pins trying to get them within .001 of each other that being able to depend on .0001 accuracy was enough to do that. And so this one did that AND was big enough opening for me to measure the other parts on the mag that need 2 and 3 inch openings. So I had concluded it was good all around use one.

I think I do now see a place where this one is 100 bucks but not completely sure its the same model. I think it is though. Well teach me to do more shopping around I guess.

Muzikman
05-09-2003, 11:10 AM
Dial calipers...it's all about the dial...none of this digital crap:)

cphilip
05-09-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Muzikman
Dial calipers...it's all about the dial...none of this digital crap:)

Hehe....I admire the old school stick to it ness but I can't read mine anymore... :(

boggerman
05-09-2003, 01:14 PM
If you need to get real close, send me your parts. I have access to calibration equipment that will accurately measure to .000001", yes that is one millionth.:)
BTW, I have had Mitutoyo mics for almost 10 years now and where I work they require recalibration every year, the Mits have passed every year without fail.

afrankart
05-09-2003, 05:18 PM
I myself have the same calipers. i think they are a good caliper for the price. i hae always liked mitytoyos products, even though I prefer starrett micrometers.

IcantBelieveit
05-09-2003, 05:28 PM
i have a set i use for measuring brake rotors at work. Works good, never had any problems

bornl33t
05-09-2003, 05:59 PM
I got a set os digital and analog mitutoyo calipers. yeah, I'm oldschool :D

Phil
05-09-2003, 10:03 PM
Heat I couldn't stop laughing at that penguin video. I have seen it one other time with the penguin tripping the other one. Where did you get it?

Cristobal
05-09-2003, 10:21 PM
I mostly use mitutoyos dial calipers but also have used and like their digital bretheren -- although I have to confess that I have a certain fondness for dials:D

I also have a fondness for mics; but as long as you've got calipers good to +/- .001 that's probably good enough for comparing on/off pins and most other paintball measurments.

sniper1rfa
05-10-2003, 07:18 AM
Its all about the dial calipers....
:D

Tunaman
05-10-2003, 07:37 AM
those are great calipers. Just dont drop it. Get the Mitutoyo 0"-1" micrometer too...priceless.;)

bornl33t
05-10-2003, 08:48 AM
got those too tunaman...I'm a wanna be machinist that went to a toolndie school for 4 yaers in germany and then another 3 symesters in the states but got fed up with no credits tranfering and the illusional Americans that think they know something about manufacturing. Let me tell ya.... the US is still playing catchup with Germany. But eh, I'm the one who didn't get my piece of paper that tells everyone I'm smart ya know? 5 years of tool n die doesn't mean anything without the paper. I hope you all can hear my disapointment here... really sucked having to put up with all that crap only to loose my mind over it. Homefully I'll be going back to school this fall, Lord willing. This time I'm going to invest 5 years into a degree in something computer oriented.

Phil: I don't remember I died laughing too though it's crazy funny. glad I could be of service!!feel free to copy/link to it