PDA

View Full Version : Double reg setups overkill?

Carbon
05-09-2003, 09:39 PM
Ok heres the deal, i got a classic mag, with a LX bolt and a Palmer Stabilizer. Now some say dual reg setups tend to starve the gun for air. Supposing i set the stabilizer to 750-800ish psi, with my nitro tank(screw in/crossfire) output runnin 850, is there enuff pressure to keep the gun running ok, consistant i mean? I dont do over 8 bps. Would i get better consitency with just the tank and the A.I.R valve?

FeelTheRT
05-09-2003, 09:48 PM
if your AIR valve is clean and your shooting nice round paint, your consistancy is going to be fine. If you want, you can buy a secondary reg. You wont ever shoot fast enough to starve the valve.

punkncat
05-09-2003, 09:52 PM
If you are using HPA then I really see no need for another inline regulator.I don't really think you are gonna starve out a classic valve so long as you have the Palmer adjusted high enough , but why put it on there? Your air source is regulated and the back of your valve has another reg.
Unless you just have nothing to do with the Palmer or you might use the Mag w/ CO2 then I would say put it to another good use.

ChucktheMAGician
05-09-2003, 09:58 PM
I've always heard that a Reg. needs about 200psi difference between input and output to work effectively. If you were going to triple reg,(tank, Palmer, AIR valve) I'd set the Palmer's at 600. I've shot my emag at 600psi from my Centerflag before and read were others have too. I would recommend against the palmers tho, just for the fact that you could be spending that money on something else to make your setup better. Basically, I don't think you'll see that great of, or any improvement from triple regging. :)

askman
05-09-2003, 10:01 PM
it is bit of overkill, but if you occasionally run CO2, the setup you have is fine. You always want about 200psi per reg pressure difference for it to function properly and not starve. I do admit that it is overkill for HPA though. Since AIR valve want about 600-650, you want to have the Stab set at minimum of 800.

Carbon
05-09-2003, 11:41 PM
Thanx for the response yall! Yeah the reg is remants of when i was using CO2, i get my nitro tank next week i hope. If anything im gonna run the reg at about 800 or so and leave it as a foregrip. Anyway what kinda FPS deviation do you all get running nitro straight to the AIR valve? Im expecting +/- 7 fps or so...?

Im getting a 68/3k reccomend any comfortable drops? i was looking at a Shochteck Mini, i like to postion the tank on my pectoral just below my right clavicle.

Thnx again!

cphilip
05-10-2003, 08:59 AM
You will gain nothing from an additional regulator. And in fact may introduce a small lag time into your recharge of the valve. And in the case of the RT valves you can interfere with the recharge of the air chamber which needs full tank pressure quickly to recharge. Don't bother to put something down the line that has to react and compensate that does no real good. Let the Air Valve do its job unimpeded. Its another stepping block in the system to over come when you place something that has to react and work but does nothing for the operation of the system on down the line.

If you chose to use that reg a forgrip I would gut it. Take the works out of it. Make it a pass through chamber only.

If everything is right you can see + or - one to two Feet per Second with that valve. Easily within 5.

Cristobal
05-10-2003, 07:14 PM
The idea of adding an inline reg is to give a consistent pressure input to the valve, which will result in more consistent pressure in the dump chamber (using two regs in series is amost always more consistent than one reg alone).

Adding a stabilizer inline before the AIR valve on a CO2 setup is a good thing because it will smooth out the fluctuations in the pressure coming out of the tank and help keep liquid out of the valve.

With a nitro system though, the reg on the tank will keep the output pressure constant. This means that another reg between the tank and the valve is pretty much superfluous -- plus you run the risk of not having enough pressure drop between the regs and which can end up starving the valve under rapid fire conditions.

Oh, and if you're not going to use the stabilizer, I'd suggest replacing it with a gas-through rather than gutting it. Heck, sell in in the classifies and buy a nice gas-through... there are always people looking to buy stabilizers.

EDIT: Also, I believe that what you're asking about would technically be called "triple regging" because you're sending the air through three regs: tank reg, inline reg, and valve reg.