PDA

View Full Version : Rail Drop Phenomenon

HYPER
05-09-2003, 11:52 PM
Well Ive been out from paintball for a while. Just got back in a while ago and noticed there seems to be a change in what players are bringing out to the field and onto the forums nowadays. There seems to be strong support in rail drops, where the ASA is directly under the frame. It gives the gun a smaller profile shoves the tank way back.

When I was seriously into the sport, many ppl were using CP Flames or SHocktech Longs, now there seems to be alot of simple dovetail rails with on/off asa's and alot of uni-mounts on the frames. At the most, there will be a Shocktech or CP micro.

I currently use a System X-10 drop w/ on/off. Nice drop. I drilled another mounting hole to shove the unit an inch or so back so it wont interfere with my battery pack on my Micro-E. I like how it sat back more, gave a better balance. However, I tried using a simple duckbill ASA under the grip. It made the gun looks awkward, but I like the feel of the tank up higher sitting firmly against my forearm. It gave better support when sprinting ad jamming it over to the 50. I also like the fact when I shoot the marker, the tank rest ONTOP my bicep/shoulder taking alot of the weight off my hands.

I know there's die hard supporters here like Slipknot and FeeltheRT. I like the tank up high but dont like the tanks o far back. I wanna move the tank as forward as possible without the tank gauge or fill nipple hitting the frame. Only prob is when I tried the Cobra paintball rail, the reg body from the reg would hit the rail. Is there a rail I can use which would allow me to fit the tank more forward? If not, I was thinking of getting a beefy rail and grind/sand/polish the rear end to give more buffer room for the tank reg. Which rail is the best price?

LMK your opinions all.

-HYPER

einhander619
05-10-2003, 12:03 AM
I really like a drop on a mag, but I currently shoot a bushy, which is a tall gun. I use a rail with it simply because I don't want my setup taller than it is long! I would go with a CP micro. They will probably have the feel you're looking for.

nerobro
05-10-2003, 12:45 AM
Pick up an air america apoc rail.. that should do you just fine. it'll let you butt thet ank right up to the gripframe. at least it should. what nitro system are you running?

HYPER
05-10-2003, 01:37 AM
Eihander, I was contemplating using a CP Mciro or SHock Micro (didnt like the angle so was thinking of bending the drop straight) but really didnt like the fact that it "drop"ped the tank a bit (hence the name drop). Sorry to be anal, but ever since I had a plain ASA on the gun, I never want my tank going downstairs ever again. Was thinking of getting a unimount, but the thing looks so plain, I dont see how ppl can justify paying 40 something bux for it. Plus I dont like it sticking too far back, I want it more forward.

Nero, I am currently using a PMI 68/4500. I know with these systems, they stick back a lil farther, but I like the fact that I can swap from gun to gun with ease (although Im really loving how the geddons and other adjustables are fitted as forward as possible but still directly under the grip).

I was thinking of getting the Geddon or Apoc rails, so cheap yet so beefy, but heard I will have probs fitting the tank forward. I plan to use my old System X on/off, I like it since its long and will allow for more play). Wierd thing, I dont have experice with the rails, so went with local opinions. They say the geddon rails wont fit standard dovetail ASA's. However, 888 paintball says all slide ons use standard dovetail style. Can anyone clear up this discrepency.

If the geddon rail gets approval from everyone, then its gonna get ordered tomorrow. For $10, you cant beat a price like that.

Give me the 411.

-HYPER

Phil
05-10-2003, 07:42 AM
I dont know if its in your budget but you could get a tank that uses a rail. I use an apocalpyse 2k and the smallest shocktec drop. It moves the tank foreward quite a bit while droping it only about 1.5 inches. Having a non-screwin tank is very nice. You could also go strait on the gun with the rail that comes with the tank.

Phil

BajaBoy
05-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by HYPER
Eihander, I was contemplating using a CP Mciro or SHock Micro (didnt like the angle so was thinking of bending the drop straight) but really didnt like the fact that it "drop"ped the tank a bit (hence the name drop). Sorry to be anal, but ever since I had a plain ASA on the gun, I never want my tank going downstairs ever again. Was thinking of getting a unimount, but the thing looks so plain, I dont see how ppl can justify paying 40 something bux for it. Plus I dont like it sticking too far back, I want it more forward.

Nero, I am currently using a PMI 68/4500. I know with these systems, they stick back a lil farther, but I like the fact that I can swap from gun to gun with ease (although Im really loving how the geddons and other adjustables are fitted as forward as possible but still directly under the grip).

I was thinking of getting the Geddon or Apoc rails, so cheap yet so beefy, but heard I will have probs fitting the tank forward. I plan to use my old System X on/off, I like it since its long and will allow for more play). Wierd thing, I dont have experice with the rails, so went with local opinions. They say the geddon rails wont fit standard dovetail ASA's. However, 888 paintball says all slide ons use standard dovetail style. Can anyone clear up this discrepency.

If the geddon rail gets approval from everyone, then its gonna get ordered tomorrow. For $10, you cant beat a price like that.

Give me the 411.

-HYPER

where did u find them for 10$??? i Really wanted one but couldnt find one.

onlything close was the cp rail mount bt its like 35$ and thats a rip

Phil
05-10-2003, 01:07 PM
These look like they might be what your looking for, scroll down and checkout the Unimount dealy. http://www.checkitproducts.com/index2.html

Jack & Coke
05-10-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by HYPER
...I like the tank up high but dont like the tanks o far back...

That's why crossfire came out with the 72/4500, and now the 70/4500 "peanut". I orderd one and it's coming in next week (www.888paintball). The peanut's length is only 1/2 inch longer than a 45/4500.

Read more about it here:

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=210693

SyntaxError
05-10-2003, 04:40 PM
I actually prefer the shocktech medium drop, but I was given KO Paintball's new on/off, unimount style drop from sponsorship, so I'll use that.

As is the case with many professional and amateur teams, and when other players see them in magazines, they buy the products the professionals use.

There's not a HUGE difference, it really shouldn't annoy you that much, but I think its easier to play a stand up with a unimount style drop, but I like about an inch of drop for up front.

Load SM5
05-10-2003, 05:17 PM
My rail drop was'nt short enough so I cut it, pretty much in half.

DiRTyBuNNy
05-10-2003, 10:55 PM
My .02 based on my experiences last week in Vegas...

CP has just come out with a super small rail drop that is the same size as the bottom of a 45 frame. Because of it's small size they are now having the adjusting screws put in the side of the drop and it pushes out to tighten up on the dovetail. Real nice...works great with the CP on/off ASA's. The only difference is it's a slightly taller drop than the normal CP rail to be able to tap the holes for the screws. My digicam is horrible that close so I'll have to see what I can do to show you all what it looks like
http://pages.prodigy.net/danlathum/IM000618b.JPG

and for J&C. I've already got one of the new 70ci tanks and It's real nice. I can take a picture of it next to a 68 if anyone wants a comparison. This thing is fat and short and with the rail I can shoulder it perfectly and stay nice and tight.
http://pages.prodigy.net/danlathum/IM000617b.JPG

Jack & Coke
05-11-2003, 02:04 AM
Nice! Mines coming in on monday... can you take a pic of it on your ULE mag?

DiRTyBuNNy
05-11-2003, 02:38 AM
ask and ye' shall receive...
http://pages.prodigy.net/danlathum/IM000619b.JPG

beefstew
05-11-2003, 11:01 AM
DB what lenth barrel is that? i dont know why but for some reason your gun looks outrageously long. Mabye its just the pic?

In any case i used the KAPP rail for my angel air cuz i like the 10 degree angle it sets the tank at without using almost any space. i have the matched medium shocktech drop on my bushy that i use with my 88 stubby screw in, works great.
BeefStew

DiRTyBuNNy
05-11-2003, 12:50 PM
it's only a 14" barrel. The tube look of the ULE makes it look longer than it really is....

dcmander
05-11-2003, 01:24 PM
DB, could you please take a closeup of the bottom of your grip frame and the CP rail drop. :)

I am planning to run a CP rail drop on my setup which will consist of an intelliframe with a 68 Dynaflow. Would this work? Do you know if the dovetail on the dynaflow would fit ok with the CP rail drop?

Also I didn't know CP came out with a new rail drop. Do they still sell the old one? Do you know the height of both of them? I would like it as short (height wise) because my only intention of running the CP raildrop is to match the dovetail of the dynaflow w/ the intelliframe. I would like it short as possible.

What do you think I should do if I want it setup this way? The old CP or the new CP or what?

Also is CP's site just down, or did they get a new address?

Can anyone post a link and make sure it works when they post it ?? :)

Thanks!

DiRTyBuNNy
05-11-2003, 01:57 PM
I'll post a closeup of the two drops (old on top, newstyle on bottom) but because of my flash it may not turn out that great. I'm willing to sell either of my two drops..you can contact me about them in PM. I go to these tourneys all the time so it's easier for me to get one than for someone else to try and find one)

http://pages.prodigy.net/danlathum/IM000622c.JPG

scud2519
05-11-2003, 07:03 PM
I think this is a great bottomline (not mine, found it in the pbnation pic thread)

Mr. T!
05-11-2003, 09:23 PM
My rail, good stuff, with a 68/45 and CP on/off, straight pro

Your sig image is way over the acceptable size. Please review the sig image rules

Jack & Coke
05-13-2003, 01:33 AM
Yo DB, check it out:

http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=798128

I LOVE this low profile setup!

70/4500 crossfire "peanut" + Uni-Mount is great!

The tank sits nice and tight against my shoulder (good stable pivot point) and just under my chin (with mask on). This gun is close and tight and my wrist can slide nice and snug up verticle next to the tank reg. This allows me to get my elbow in tight. The 16" actually doesn't seem that long because the gun is now much closer to my body. The 16" length actually feels more balanced since the ULE is sooooo light. With my 12" barrel, the gun becomes "back" heavy.

I got the single trigger 45 frame from JAM! It works great! Excellent short pull (uses the same trigger as the stock frame).

Instead of a rail, I'm using the CheckIt Uni-Mount.

This is a GREAT mount! When you de-gas your marker, this mount bleeds off the residual gas held in the line due to the Level 10 via built-in check valve. No more "pop" as you try to release the gas via DQ.

DiRTyBuNNy
05-13-2003, 01:34 AM
So what size tank cover on your peanut J&C?

Jack & Coke
05-13-2003, 01:39 AM
It's a VERY snug 45/4500 Dye Rhino Cover. Not a problem at all to put on.

VERY comfy cover.. http://www.automags.org/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Jack & Coke
05-13-2003, 01:41 AM
btw, Mr. T, nice image in your sig... 678K ?

DiRTyBuNNy
05-13-2003, 01:41 AM
Cool..I may have to go pick one up...