PDA

View Full Version : Fixing up the 1971 cutlass supreme

cannedheat
05-12-2003, 10:05 PM
Hey guys, this is my 1971 oldsmobile cutlass supreme convertible. I just thought I'd let everyone know what im doing to my car throughout the summertime. First off I'll be buying 16 by 8 inch tires and wheels probally All-American tourqe thrust 2s, 15 by 6 inches is whats on there now. Then I found a guy that will custom bend me a set of dual exhaust pipes. Next im fixing up the interior, its looking a little shabby now, I have the carpet for that already. Next I'll be popping out the big dents and filling in the small ones with a lil bit of body filler. After that Ill be re-chroming the bumpers and getting a paint job much like the one thats on now except with a metal flake finish. Maybe a slight sound system but that can wait. What do you guys think? Im not trying to "pimp it out" but im trying to make it look original with a little bit of flare. Comments, opinions, and feedback are welcome. Thanks guys.

cannedheat
05-12-2003, 10:06 PM
pic

cannedheat
05-12-2003, 10:08 PM
My name is Adam Oakley incase your wondering about the tag... all my friends call me Oak

cannedheat
05-12-2003, 10:09 PM
one more

bornl33t
05-13-2003, 04:59 AM
if you have someone make you a dual exaust make sure they make it outta 2.5 inch pipe. Also, see if you can find something other then torque thrust, not that they are bad... but they are overused. I liked them a few years ago too, but didn't have the money. Then the 2003 mustangs started using them like MAD. Now everyone wants torque thrust. Just look a little, that's all I'm really saying.

Rechroming and re painting is REALLY expensive. And body filler isn't the best way to restore cars.. ya know? If you are making this a short lived project then I suppose it would do the job, if these are the first steps in a compleate over haul then I'd say do it right the first time.

As for the interior I know a guy that can make all new leather seats for almost any car. HE takes the old ones unstiches them and copies the pattern down. HE does a really sweat job and for the work he does it really cheap!!!!! Might wanna look around the area for something along those lines.

My thoughs for the first part of this car would be to pull the block and stick a built of hte same thing in there. A built block would go nicely with that dual cat back :D

Either way it's nice to see someone making a nice car that isn't mustang or maro. And you are doing it right at that. Style, not pimpn :D

vf-xx
05-13-2003, 06:18 AM
First off I'll be buying 16 by 8 inch tires and wheels probally All-American tourqe thrust 2s, 15 by 6 inches is whats on there now

NOooooooooooooo

Don't take off the color matched rims!!! Repaint them to match the body. Or if you're determined to replace them let me buy the set off of you so I can paint them up for my 77 cutlass.

Re chroming the bumpers isn't too bad, and it's a must cause you really can't find good replacements for these cars. Just make sure that they do it right. My dad had his done at a place in Houston, if you need contact info let me know.

For dent filling you might look into doing metal filling. It works much better than bondo and is meant to last. If I get a chance I'll take some pictures of what we did to my fender with the filler.

Big'n slo
05-13-2003, 08:03 AM
I agree with these guys, do not use bondo! Spend a little extra time and either replace the fender or start beating on it. Bondo should only be used to correct surface imperfections at most. Anything more than a 1/16th of bondo will chip and flake off. As for the wheels, I love the stockers on the cutlass but if you really want a different style look into edelbrock's line of wheels. They definitely have the classic look downhttp://www.edelbrockwheels.com/graphics/main_image.jpg

shartley
05-13-2003, 08:56 AM
Are you “fixing it up” or “restoring” it?

If you are just making it pretty, dong some personal choice updates, do what you want. (But as stated, try to stay away from bondo.)

But if you are trying to make it like it WAS, keep the same size rims and tires on it! If you are not sure if they ARE the right size, you can probably call the manufacturer and find out. And I would agree with VF-XX… keep the color matched rims and go with the white wall tires. IF you want to go beefier, I would see if you can find the same style rims in a wider size, do the color match, and then put on wider tires (staying white walls). That would keep the same overall look at a glance, but give you more beef on the road.

Every time I see people working on these cars I miss my 77 Cordova. :(

cannedheat
05-13-2003, 02:33 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I know that ALOT of people have torque thrust wheels, but they look good on everything. Im not set on those wheels, I just havnt really seen any others that i really liked. I just wish that I could see my car with new wheels before I make up my mind.

Are you “fixing it up” or “restoring” it?

Well, Im doing a little bit of both. The car is in complete original condition besides the crappy laquer paint job that is now peeling, I know this because my grandmother bought the car new in february of 71. The only thing ill be using bondo or any other body filler on is a few very shallow and narrow dents in the hood and side panels... Im not covering the car in the stuff.

Automaggin2
05-13-2003, 04:10 PM
i woldnt put thruster 2s on that, it wouldnt look right

magking1971
05-13-2003, 07:49 PM
Sweet ride!!! (and a good year!!;) )

cannedheat
05-13-2003, 08:10 PM
Thanks, does anyone recomend anything wheel-wise?

yeahthatsme
05-13-2003, 09:30 PM
thats pimp dude.... get some neon under-lights :P

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
05-13-2003, 10:18 PM
I'm trying to save up for some Nova bucket seats for my dad for fathers day.
:cool:

Mr. T!
05-13-2003, 10:24 PM
That is sweeeet!

Get some subtle chrome rims (nothing too crazy), and good looking exhaust, and pimpify the interior!

I think for rims, go for like the American Racing ones that resemble the rims of that era....would look pretty sweet!

rims as such

http://www.fraserdante.com/71cutlassblk.jpg

cannedheat
05-13-2003, 11:06 PM
I was looking at wheels like that Mr. T. But I dont know though. Geez... Im so indecisive.